Photo

The Victoria beer thread

• Please log in to reply
903 replies to this topic

#661 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:49 AM

There's a sign of life at the new brewery Ile Sauvage in Rock Bay...  Their sign went up but it's still pretty tough to peek in the windows...

Their social media links are pretty quite about an expected opening (last info. on VV indicated Sept 2017!).  Anybody have an update? The sour beer craze might be over by the time they get open.

IleSauvage_June22_2018.jpg

• RFS and Jackerbie like this

#662 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2018 - 12:57 PM

Believe it or not, it's taken longer than expected to get through the city's bureaucracy.

I had a tour of the space in December and the inside and they've got some great plans for the space including a tasting room and offsales area. Haven't been inside since though so can't provide more than that.

And I don't think the sour/belgian/farmhouse craze is going away anytime soon.

• Mike K. and JanionGuy like this

#663 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Believe it or not, it's taken longer than expected to get through the city's bureaucracy.

I had a tour of the space in December and the inside and they've got some great plans for the space including a tasting room and offsales area. Haven't been inside since though so can't provide more than that.

And I don't think the sour/belgian/farmhouse craze is going away anytime soon.

Interior building permit was only just issued June 22. Wow!

#664 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:40 PM

There was an article on Global news about red tape and bureaucracy slowing down the opening of a business. They rated twenty cities in BC 1 being best and 20 being worst. Victoria came in at 4th. I can't imagine how bad it would be in Port Moody, the 20th on the list.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#665 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

There was an article on Global news about red tape and bureaucracy slowing down the opening of a business. They rated twenty cities in BC 1 being best and 20 being worst. Victoria came in at 4th. I can't imagine how bad it would be in Port Moody, the 20th on the list.

Tell that to the folks trying to open the bar at the Hudson District.

Opening up a business and permitting processes are two completely different thing. To open a business all you need to do is purchase a business license. Provided what you're doing is permitted within the space you're doing it the process takes a minute. If it's not permitted, God help you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#666 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:20 AM

Sooke Brewing Company won the BC rookie brewery of the year award yesterday, together with four medals at a brewery showdown.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#667 GaryRanson

GaryRanson
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:23 AM

FYI, I popped by there on Saturday and spoke with the brew master who mentioned a "soft" opening next weekend (37/28).

There's a sign of life at the new brewery Ile Sauvage in Rock Bay...  Their sign went up but it's still pretty tough to peek in the windows...

Their social media links are pretty quite about an expected opening (last info. on VV indicated Sept 2017!).  Anybody have an update? The sour beer craze might be over by the time they get open.

IleSauvage_June22_2018.jpg

#668 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

Sooke Brewing Company won the BC rookie brewery of the year award yesterday, together with four medals at a brewery showdown.

Yes, a good showing by Sooke at the BC Beer Awards this past weekend, including the award for Best Tasting Room going to Sooke Brewing Co! All of the winners are here: https://www.cbc.ca/n...nners-1.4868981

Lots of awards to the two Sooke breweries:

Sooke Brewing Co., SIlver in German Pils category

Sooke Brewing Co., Silver in German Amber category

Sooke Brewing Co., Bronze in Strong Ale category

Sooke Brewing Co., Silver in Strong Belgian Ale category

Sooke Oceanside, Gold in Dark & Strong European category

Sooke Oceanside, Bronze in German Wheat category

Sooke Oceanside, Gold in UK Brown Ale category

#669 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:02 AM

Ile Sauvage is now open in Rock Bay! The place was slammed yesterday at 3pm. They have 5 or 6 barrel sours on tap plus a hazy IPA. If you're not into sours, they also have 3 guest taps (beer) and a cider on tap as well.  Limited seating, but some added tables upstairs.  The plan is to have food service via food trucks, and the garage door can open so patrons can order "out of the rain" and then sit inside.

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

• Mike K., jonny, Wayne and 3 others like this

#670 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:12 AM

Tell that to the folks trying to open the bar at the Hudson District.

Opening up a business and permitting processes are two completely different thing. To open a business all you need to do is purchase a business license. Provided what you're doing is permitted within the space you're doing it the process takes a minute. If it's not permitted, God help you.

We received council permission for a development permit and parking variance for the Fernwood Pizza Co. on December 9, 2016.  We applied for the building permit the next day.  We had a couple of minor changes to make subsequent to council direction and on the advice of our restaurant consultant.  At least we didn't have to go back to council we thought - staff can manage this through a delegated development permit.  Again, these were very minor changes and we were shooting for a winter/spring build, summer open.

The City issued us our building permit on May 24, 2018.  After build out and endless inspections (and inspector-mandated changes), we got our occupancy permit on January 9, 2018 and opened the next day.

Better than the extra carrying costs and additional building costs to meet the whims of the inspector was opening in early January - which for a new restaurant is right when you want to open, amiright?!!  They don't give a rat **** because not their capital being risked.

At least it has a happy ending.

#671 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:55 AM

Quite impressed with Ile Savage's opening lineup! Typically things only get better as the brewery settles in.

FYI they only have a couple of snacks on hand. You're allowed to bring in your own food, or order food to be delivered there. They are also looking into having food trucks drop by but nothing is in place yet as they just opened.

• Mike K. and jonny like this

#672 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:37 AM

Vancouver Island Brewery pursuing 40-seat brewpub-style tasting room

https://victoria.cit...e-tasting-room/

Know it all.

#673 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:30 PM

Beers news!

Back in March, The Drake announced they were partnering with Steel & Oak Brewing of New Westminster on a new brewery/brewpub at 506 Herald Street. A BP for strip-out of the interior was issued in November, so I imagine they're getting close to construction. Details and concept here: https://bringyourpor...ctoria-brewpub/

Whistle Buoy Brewing will be opening a brewery/brewpub in Market Square in 2019. Their BP for tenant improvements was issued on Monday. They'll be in unit 63, which I believe is the former Bead World on the courtyard level. Hopefully they'll have a nice patio! https://www.whistlebuoybrewing.com/

Edited by Jackerbie, 20 December 2018 - 04:46 PM.

• jonny, JanionGuy and jasmineshinga like this

#674 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

Good news!  Liver: beware!

#675 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,958 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:47 PM

Beers news!

Back in March, The Drake announced they were partnering with Steel & Oak Brewing of New Westminster on a new brewpub at 506 Herald Street. A BP for strip-out of the interior was issued in November, so I imagine they're getting close to construction. Details here: https://bringyourpor...ctoria-brewpub/

Whistle Buoy Brewing will be opening a microbrewery and brewpub in Market Square in 2019. Their BP for tenant improvements was issued on Monday. They'll be in unit 63, which I believe is the former Bead World on the courtyard level. Hopefully they'll have a nice patio! https://www.whistlebuoybrewing.com/

never in my short history of this forum has one poster been owed so much by so many.  great post/news.

• JanionGuy, jasmineshinga and Jackerbie like this

#676 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:57 PM

Yup, you deserve a beer or 20!

Know it all.

#677 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:59 PM

Well there will be lots of new choices for the annual VV meetup!  ;)

#678 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

Yes, which we'll have in the New Year this time around as opposed to the Xmas season. Far too much going on this season so we postponed it.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#679 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:40 AM

Looking forward to it, just what I need - more delicious beverage options right outside my office. Not sure my bosses will like it :)

~ Jasmine ~

#680 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,958 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:50 AM

herald st. brew pub

proposal:

While there will be no physical kitchen on site we have some tricks up our sleeves for making sure you’ve got some food to go along with your hops.

just let people order in skip the dishes or uber eats.  why not saves you the trouble of a kitchen and staffing it for tiny profit margins on food.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 December 2018 - 11:51 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users