The Victoria beer thread

• Please log in to reply
890 replies to this topic

#681 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:10 PM

Beers news!

Back in March, The Drake announced they were partnering with Steel & Oak Brewing of New Westminster on a new brewery/brewpub at 506 Herald Street. A BP for strip-out of the interior was issued in November, so I imagine they're getting close to construction. Details and concept here: https://bringyourpor...ctoria-brewpub/

Whistle Buoy Brewing will be opening a brewery/brewpub in Market Square in 2019. Their BP for tenant improvements was issued on Monday. They'll be in unit 63, which I believe is the former Bead World on the courtyard level. Hopefully they'll have a nice patio! https://www.whistlebuoybrewing.com/

It's a shame VHF is no longer around, this would be an excellent time to remind him about his half dozen or so posts explaining why the Drake was guaranteed to fail quickly because they didn't have any fancy cocktails on the menu and "female customers want fancy cocktails."

• sdwright.vic and JanionGuy like this

#682 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

That place is great. Been there twice in the last few weeks. Always seems super busy. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#683 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:59 PM

The Drake is good but it is a bit of a sausage party because of the lack of fancy cocktails.

#684 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:25 AM

Whistle Buoy Brewing Company (Market Square) and The Hudson Brew Corp/Hudson Brewhouse & Grill are both at Council today for their liquor lounge endorsements.

Whistle Buoy would be permitted to operate 11am-12am Thursday through Sunday, and 11am-11pm Monday through Wednesday

The Hudson Brewhouse would be permitted to operate 9am-12am daily. They had originally applied for 9am-1:30am, but rolled that back to midnight after discussion with City staff.

Staff recommend endorsing both applications.

• jonny and thundergun like this

#685 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:40 AM

And there's the new brewery coming on Herald next to Opus.  Jeez that's a lot of additional beer in a fairly saturated area.

#686 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:47 AM

And there's the new brewery coming on Herald next to Opus.  Jeez that's a lot of additional beer in a fairly saturated area.

Port Moody now has five breweries on a roughly 400 m stretch of road beside the new Skytrain station. Brewers Row has proved to be quite the attraction!

#687 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

Isn't there a bike map for breweries in Vancouver?

#688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:50 AM

Likely hanging on an office wall somewhere in the Legislature...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#689 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

Isn't there a bike map for breweries in Vancouver?

There are quite a few! The earliest one I'm aware of is for East Van, sometimes referred to as Yeast Van. There is also a province-wide organization called The BC Ale Trail that publishes self-tour guides, which can be sorted by transportation mode (walk, bus, bike, drive). Here's the Victoria page: https://bcaletrail.c...rails/victoria/

#690 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

I expect microbrewery buy-outs to materialize in the coming years as small brewers begin to compete with brewpubs for market share. Not that long ago all the rage was craft beers at local pubs, now the rage is beers direct from a brewpub which cuts out the middle man, the pub.

Mike Murphy and the Pescatores establishments (I can't for the life of me remember what it's called now; Kitchen?) allegedly have stopped serving Phillips beers ever since Phillips opened their tasting bar/brewpub.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#691 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

(I can't for the life of me remember what it's called now; Kitchen?) 

10 Acres

#692 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:33 PM

I expect microbrewery buy-outs to materialize in the coming years as small brewers begin to compete with brewpubs for market share. Not that long ago all the rage was craft beers at local pubs, now the rage is beers direct from a brewpub which cuts out the middle man, the pub.

Mike Murphy and the Pescatores establishments (I can't for the life of me remember what it's called now; Kitchen?) allegedly have stopped serving Phillips beers ever since Phillips opened their tasting bar/brewpub.

Victoria is late to the game with brewpubs and tasting rooms (in terms of popularity, I am aware that Spinnakers was the first brewpub in Canada!).

Victoria's craft scene started early and was breweries were largely limited to off sales and distribution. That has changed with the current craft boom, and every new business has either a tasting room or a brewpub attached. Mainlanders are astonished when they find out there's no taproom at Lighthouse, Hoyne, VIB, or Driftwood. There are small sample areas at VIB and Driftwood, but you can't sit down with a pint. That's slowly changing with the new arrivals to the Victoria scene, and the established breweries are taking notice.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#693 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

There are small sample areas at VIB and Driftwood, but you can't sit down with a pint. That's slowly changing with the new arrivals to the Victoria scene, and the established breweries are taking notice.

this is true.  i still see almost no effort by any licensee to push a certain type or brand of of beer outside of maybe a special brewery tasting event.  apart from say moxies or earls where they present their own "house" beer as a tasty and slightly lower-priced alternative. 

#694 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

The problem with opening a tasting room is then your customers want pub food and then they want TVs and then they want something more than pub food and then you have to offer other beverage options and before you know it you have an executive chef, restaurant manager and 35 other staff. 

#695 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

^And tourists asking why you don't carry Bud Light.

#696 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

during the city debate this morning on the two applications the city staffer mentioned that he has now seen some outlets in other jurisdictions that have no kitchen but meet their food needs by allowing skip the dishes to deliver in etc. he named skip by name.

#697 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:16 PM

^And tourists asking why you don't carry Bud Light.

Yup. 

When all you wanted to do was make and sell beer. 

#698 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

I can see the frustration; the menu features a cracker served with a Swedish pickle and teaspoon of moose pate and all you want is a plate of goddamn nachos with your beer.

Was the other application for the 800 block Fort Street tap room?

#699 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

Speaking of more places to drink beer, see THIS POST

#700 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

I can see the frustration; the menu features a cracker served with a Swedish pickle and teaspoon of moose pate and all you want is a plate of goddamn nachos with your beer.

Was the other application for the 800 block Fort Street tap room?

no market square and hudson. I think we have competing or mixed threads on the topic.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users