Photo

The Victoria beer thread

• Please log in to reply
903 replies to this topic

#741 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:36 AM

Notice in the mail from the City regarding Herald Street Brew Works (506 Herald). HSBW has applied for a change to Lounge Endorsement (increased occupant load) to allow for a 99 person Rooftop Patio. Residents and businesses within a 100 metre radius of the site are invited to comment by October 14.

• Mike K. likes this

#742 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:35 AM

I thought the plan all along was to have a rooftop patio? Maybe that involves different paperwork.

#743 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:39 AM

Yes, that was the plan from the get-go.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#744 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

- Ouch. A pricey beer to be pouring down the drain after months of cold storage. Their signature brew as well. From the Vancouver Island Brewing FB page:

"We regret to inform you that we will not be releasing our 2020 Hermannator Ice Bock this year. We hold our quality of standards in the highest regard, and unfortunately this years vintage does not currently meet those standards. We are deeply saddened at the brewery and know that our loyal fans will be as well. To help satisfy as many of our thirsty fans, we will be releasing our complete cellar collection of our BC Beer Awards Gold Medal 2019 Hermannator Ice Bock and we promise it will be back next October.
The vintage release date will be Friday, October 23rd on Vancouver Island and Friday, October 30th on the Mainland. Stay tuned for a full list of stores with inventory."

• GaryRanson likes this

#745 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:30 PM

Of course. It’s 2020.

Do we know if the 2019 vintage will be priced higher than the annual ice block?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#746 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:09 PM

I already said I'd live in Danbrook One so similarly I'd take a chance drinking that bock.

Bizarre crime in Coquitlam: 

A craft brewery owner showed up Monday to his under-construction business in Port Coquitlam, B.C., to discover he was missing two key pieces of equipment.

Two massive fermenting tanks worth about $20,000 each new were gone.

The almost five metre-high tanks, estimated to weigh more than a ton each, were parked in a back lot on Seaborne Avenue near the loading bay of Boardwalk Brewing while construction of the brewery floor was underway.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-beer-1.5769342

#747 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:13 PM

Predictions on the above:

1. The tanks were probably stolen by some crackheads that have graduated from chopping bikes
  2. They were stolen by an evil rival brewer
  3. Something's fishy here--they were actually repossessed by the supplier for an unpaid construction bill.

#748 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:22 PM

VIB dropped me a couple samples today, and the haskap berry IPA is deeeeelicious. Limited quantities so if you see it get it.

Matt.
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#749 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:58 PM

Damn, that is a huge bummer to not have the Hermanator this year. Had a Haskap Berry IPA earlier tonight and I can confirm it is a stellar brew!

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#750 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:57 PM

Last year's hermannator is so good!

#751 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:47 AM

Less than a year after opening its doors on Millstream Road, a veteran-owned brewing company is coming to terms with the fact that it can no longer afford to be open.

V2V Black Hops Brewery started as a non-profit for veterans and first responders suffering from PTSD in 2018, before transitioning to a for-profit brew pub in March of this year.

https://www.vicnews....-a-thin-thread/

The brew pub will be closed from Dec. 24 to Jan. 6 while Hafey and his team reassess, but Hafey said he’s already issued termination notices to all his staff. January is a notoriously slow month for alcohol sales and without any financial support they likely won’t make it through.

“I’m done. I’m done. We’re completely tapped out.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 December 2020 - 02:52 AM.

#752 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 07:59 AM

Sad about this, wish they had been better supported, that's partially down to me (surrounded by brewpubs, pubs and breweries downtown, I never get out to Langford). I think their beers are available at a couple of private stores (Spinnakers. The Strath I believe) so I may grab some to try even though it appears it's too late :(

#753 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:07 AM

people are only going to drink so much beer (in fact consumption is generally down over the past decade).

some brewers are going to lose out.

if i'm not mistaken the landlord there (ron cheeke) got out of the beer making and serving business and just leased the spaces out.  that's a less stressful way to make money maybe for him.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 December 2020 - 08:12 AM.

#754 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 01:23 PM

I've always said, when it comes to opening a new brewpub, it always comes down to:

-- Seasonal Rotation,

• Matt R. likes this

#755 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:09 PM

Beer consumption may be down overall in the past decade but the craft beer segment is booming. 19 breweries still opened in BC during 2020 despite the pandemic and locally Whistle Bouy (2019), Bones (2020), and Herald St (2020) were either in their first year of operations or opened during the pandemic. Sounds like the economics and scale of this location are the common denominator (which is a shame as Langford is a untapped market) as the previous Axe & Barrel couldn't make a go under two separate owners too. 

#756 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:12 PM

here is some usa data:

Craft-Beer-Market-Share-and-US-in-mm-Gro

#757 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:15 PM

Less than a year after opening its doors on Millstream Road, a veteran-owned brewing company is coming to terms with the fact that it can no longer afford to be open.

V2V Black Hops Brewery started as a non-profit for veterans and first responders suffering from PTSD in 2018, before transitioning to a for-profit brew pub in March of this year.

https://www.vicnews....-a-thin-thread/

The brew pub will be closed from Dec. 24 to Jan. 6 while Hafey and his team reassess, but Hafey said he’s already issued termination notices to all his staff. January is a notoriously slow month for alcohol sales and without any financial support they likely won’t make it through.

“I’m done. I’m done. We’re completely tapped out.”

Apparently these guys are still holding on. Good for them!

Has anyone tried their beer or been to their place?

Going out that way next week so am going to buy something just for support. But how is there product?

#758 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:02 PM

other than sooke is there any beers named for municipalities?

#759 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:10 PM

Hmmm. You just might be right.

Know it all.

#760 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:25 PM

^^Victoria Lager. And Salt Spring Ale if you want to include the CRD.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users