• 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:03 AM

Can i just have more beer?

#782 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:18 PM

What's everyones favourite tipple at the moment ?

Im currently enjoying Cat 12's Juicy Data and Driftwoods New Growth pale ale.

• gstc84, Danma, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#783 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:52 PM

I've been a fan of Lighthouse's Nightwatch Coffee Lager for a few years, but now that it's available in six-packs, I'm enjoying it much more regularly.

#784 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:55 PM

Salt spring ales mango raspberry sour is so good.

Matt.
  • JohnsonStBridge likes this

#785 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:58 PM

If I can only pick a limited number Whistle Buoy's Coastality Pale Ale, Category 12's Isometric IPA, and Herald St's These are the Haze have been a few favourites of late.

#786 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 02:10 PM

I've been a fan of Lighthouse's Nightwatch Coffee Lager for a few years, but now that it's available in six-packs, I'm enjoying it much more regularly.

They also have it in their mixed-case 12 pack.

• gstc84 likes this

#787 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:56 PM

Lately I've been a fan of Phillips Brewing "One and Done" Black Lager. I believe it's only available at the brewery store for a short time.

• Mike K. likes this

#788 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:08 AM

That beer passport thing would be quite walkable - and thus enjoyable - except that one of the breweries is in Central Saanich and one is by the airport.  So much for walking... :)

#789 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 03:09 AM

Why does beer have to be served cold?

Times Colonist 29 Jun 2021

Bike lanes, urban deer, cruise ships, dandelions in lawns: All pretty serious stuff, but in my opinion just piffle when compared to the tragic fact that it seems an impossibility to be served a room temperature ale or beer in any of the dozens of pubs and restaurants in British Columbia.

David Smith, Victoria

#790 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:02 AM

^ he describes it as "gum-numbingly" cold which i think is not far from the truth. it's harder to taste cold things, and in the days before the whole craft-beer thing when people didn't pay as much attention to clean glassware, clean draught lines, proper handling & storage, i think serving beer ice-cold would tend to minimise the perception of the nasty flavours that would develop. just my theory anyway. trappists, barley wines & other beers are probably best at cellar temperature, ~10-12 degrees(?)

Edited by amor de cosmos, 29 June 2021 - 08:04 AM.

• pontcanna likes this

#791 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:12 AM

12 degree beer is fine. room tempurature is ugh, but i know some like that. The answer to his question though, is simple: there isn't enough demand here for that.

#792 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:41 AM

My girlfriend's late grandad, who was born in Yorkshire in the 1920s had a huge problem with ice cold beer. His solution when we dined out in restaurants was to order a Sleeman's in a warm glass. That would take the edge off the coldness a bit so it was drinkable in his view. But you'd be surprised how many servers couldn't comprehend his request and they'd give him an icy chilled glass so he'd rarely get to experience the true cellar temperature of his youth unless we went to a true pub. 

#793 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:59 AM

In the summertime I like cold beer I do have a tendency to get a bit of the “asian flush” but the rest of the year I really don’t care.

#794 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 29 June 2021 - 10:39 AM

Serving warm beer is a niche taste that is suited to a select beer style so it is no surprise places don't focus on it. Most beer served warm is just going to turn people off. Its also way more susceptible to spoilage. Your average pub or restaurant doesn't have the luxury to dump product if it doesn't sell in its (shorter) shelf life nor cater to a limited group.

That said the writer is on to something that traditional ales will taste great at room temperature. He should just head over to Spinnakers and enjoy one of there daily casks where they have the expertise to serve the craft.

#795 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 11:14 AM

Imagine being so upset by this, that you took the time to write into the paper of record.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#796 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 11:32 AM

A very good beer is Old Jalopy. Only a few spots have it on tap. Hillside Liquer Plus carries it in tall cans

AWARDS:

• 2018 The World Beer Cup  - Gold

• 2017 Canadian Brewing Awards  - Silver

• 2016 The World Beer Cup - Bronze

• 2013 Canadian Brewing Awards  - Beer of the Year

• 2013 Canadian Brewing Awards - Gold

#797 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:45 PM

Captain James Cook mandated that his ship Endeavour be loaded with unrefrigerated beer

Unlike that cold-beer loving Captain Vancouver that always kept the ship fridge stocked with cold ones.

• pontcanna likes this

#798 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 July 2021 - 09:20 PM

My girlfriend's late grandad, who was born in Yorkshire in the 1920s had a huge problem with ice cold beer. His solution when we dined out in restaurants was to order a Sleeman's in a warm glass. That would take the edge off the coldness a bit so it was drinkable in his view.

Poor man was fighting an utterly unwinnable battle there, as Sleeman's is never drinkable no matter what you do to it or how you serve it.

#799 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, I tried to wean him over to something more "authentic" but the guy liked what he liked. 

#800 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 03:22 AM

-I never thought that the original letter would have "legs", but here we go in today's paper:

Times Colonist (Letters to the Editor) 2 July 2021

What temperature is room temperature?

British ale is traditionally served at room temperature.

But as my dad liked to point out, that means traditional British room temperature.

In other words, “very chilly.”

Malcolm Dew-Jones, Victoria

Before craft beer, cold beer was OK

It used to be that beer in England was served at cellar temperature, which over there is about 57 F. Nowadays, using temperature control, it is kept at 50-57 F.

If beer is too cold, its flavour is lost — mind you, until craft beers came to North America, it would not have been missed, and so the practice of serving too cold beer became accepted.

I ask for my beer to be served in a warm glass.

John Binsted, Victoria

Yes, warm beer is the best beer

Having lived in Bavaria for quite a while, I am familiar with the concept of warm beer.

First of all, it gives you more taste than cold beer.

Just like we do not serve good scotch over ice! Sacrilege!

In most places where beer is served in Bavaria, we had the option of having it warmed up.

For that there is a little metal tube, about the size of a good cigar, that is filled with hot water and then clipped inside the beer mug.

If somebody wants to get such a “beer warmer,” I am sure the tourist offices in all Bavarian cities could get you one. Or write directly to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich :)

Prost!

(or)

Oans - zwoa - gsuffa!

I.F.L. Schmidt-Ostrander, Brentwood Bay

Another vote for beer at room temperature

Kudos to David Smith who asked: Why does beer have to be sold cold?

I totally agree! I am a fan of Guinness and other good beers and ales and can’t drink them when they are so cold. The flavour is completely lost.

Why can’t they just keep some out of the fridges for those of us who appreciate the good ones meant to be drank at room temperature?

Pat Rose, Victoria

Time will take care of this major problem

A letter asked: Why does beer have to be served cold?

Let it sit!

Mike Holt, Victoria

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)