Washington State Ferries

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

This is big enough news that it deserves a thread of its own. I was surprised and disappointed to see the announced end of the Anacortes-Sidney run of the Washington State Ferries.

I've only used it to go to San Juan Island. At the time you only had a couple of hours to tour the small town before the ferry came back on its way to Sidney. Still, a great way to while away a summer afternoon. I would still like to stay overnight and investigate the other islands.

It's a shame we're losing this great link to the US. For me, the San Juans incorporate the best of the Gulf Islands along with (for better or worse) small town American culture.

1919:

1932:

1946:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:16 AM

So last time this was proposed there was outcry in Anacortes and Sidney are we expecting the same this time?

I think they need to decided whether they want a ferry to Anacortes or a ferry to the San Juans it is the combo that is killing it because of the time it takes.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

Ferry link to Anacortes could be cut

Cash-strapped Washington ferry system mulls dropping route at end of summer

By Richard WattsDecember 19, 2008 8:01 AM

Photograph by: Times Colonist

The ferry link between Sidney and Anacortes, Wash. -- which has been running since the 1920s -- will shut down next year if a proposal from Washington's governor is approved.

David Moseley, director of the Washington State Ferry System, said in a telephone interview last night the budget proposals released this week show an end to the ferry link by the end of September 2009.

Moseley said dropping the route will save the ferry system just over $9 million annually. "It's not something we want to do, it's just economic reality."

He said an end to the ferry link is not a certainty. The ferry service cut is listed in preliminary proposals for the state budget. The final budget will be approved sometime in April.

Last year the Sidney-Anacortes ferry carried 113,000 passengers between spring and January, making it the lowest ridership in the Washington State Ferry System.

But according to civic officials the ferry link is a huge boost to local economies on both sides of the border.

Sidney Mayor Larry Cross said he has talked with Dean Maxwell, mayor of Anacortes, who is perhaps "even more concerned" than they are in Sidney.

Cross said he was told meetings of Washington state municipal leaders are in the process of coming together. He pledged Sidney will do what it can to assist in saving the route.

"It is one of those things, if cooler heads rule, at the end of the day, I think what will happen is they will not cut that ferry," he said.

Figures for the route's economic impact on Sidney and Vancouver Island are imprecise. But Cross said a Washington state study showed the route generated $126 million in total tourism spending and $20.6 million in direct benefits.

Eileen Leddy, executive director of the Saanich Peninsula Chamber of Commerce, noted 20,000 visits at the Sidney visitor centre arrived via the Sidney-Anacortes ferry.

"That is a large component of our tourist traffic," said Leddy. "That brings a lot of dollars on to the Peninsula."

She predicted the Saanich Peninsula Chamber's sister cities committee and other links with Anacortes and Skagit County would begin efforts quickly to see the ferry link maintained.

"I don't panic until I hear the final word," said Leddy.

The Washington State Ferry System has faced red ink since 1999, when voters repealed a motor vehicle tax that provided the ferries with a large portion of their funding.

With money tight, the Sidney-Anacortes service was reduced in 2003. There's now no service for three months each winter.

© Copyright © The Victoria Times Colonist

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:17 AM

Figures for the route's economic impact on Sidney and Vancouver Island are imprecise. But Cross said a Washington state study showed the route generated $126 million in total tourism spending and $20.6 million in direct benefits.

Eileen Leddy, executive director of the Saanich Peninsula Chamber of Commerce, noted 20,000 visits at the Sidney visitor centre arrived via the Sidney-Anacortes ferry.

The ferry needs $9 000 000 subsidy, maybe the Saanich Peninsula businesses and local governments should kick in the money. I can understand why Washington State would not be keen to spending money to get people to Sidney.

In 2007 134 000 people passed through the Sidney ferry terminal, 67 000 round trips though a lot would not have been round trips. Last summer it carried 84 000 passengers, about typical for the last four years and down from about 95 000 in the earlier 2000s.

Though looking at the numbers above, they seem odd. I am not sure how the $126 000 000 fits with the $20 600 000 number.

Maybe BC Ferries and Washington state ferries should promote a circle tour with the ferries.

#5 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

No way! :(
Of all the island-to-mainland ferries, this has always been my favourite. I use the Anacortes at least once a Summer as an alternative to getting to Seattle. The only reason I didn't use it more was because of the very limited number of sailings.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

BC Ferries, Coho or Anacortes: which is cheaper/faster to get to Seattle?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#7 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

I haven't seen anything, but shouldn't this subsidy be split between BC and Wash? Is it?

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

BC Ferries, Coho or Anacortes: which is cheaper/faster to get to Seattle?

I think the Coho is the fastest.

#9 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

I think it depends on the border. If I could go at a time w/o potential line ups, I always chose to go through Tsawassen. I never have gone via Anacortes unless I was going to Friday Harbor for some reason. You usually have to wait for the ferries, so 2 ferries always seemed harder than one.

#10 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

The cheapest way as a passenger to get to Seattle is to bus to Sidney, take the Anacortes ferry, then bus to Seattle. The cheapest way as a vehicle was the Coho + Bremerton ferries, but with the super cheap BC Ferries this winter I think the Tsawassen route wins.

If you time the Coho + Bremerton ferries, it's definitely the fastest way by car to get to Seattle.

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

Currently the cost is all borne by Washington State Ferries. They receive little or no government money for operations. Their estimate is that they would save $9 million a year by not having this run, so it is not a subsidy at all, but a loss.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

TRANSPORTATION

Sidney set to lose millions in tourist dollars if Washington ferry route cut
MURRAY LANGDON

Special to the Globe and Mail

December 22, 2008

VICTORIA -- The Washington State ferry between Sidney, B.C., on Vancouver Island and Anacortes, Wash., has been targeted by Governor Christine Gregoire, threatening to cut off Sidney from millions in tourist dollars.

In her 2009-2011 budget, which slashed a total of more than $3.5-billion (U.S.) in spending, Ms. Gregoire proposes to chop the run, eliminating 35 jobs and saving the state $9.2-million. Service is slated to end next September.

Mr. Cross said he and his council mates will do whatever it takes to preserve the run, but also noted that the proposed measures still require approval in the legislature.

"It's not passed ... so it's not a done deal. We'll be working with the mayor of Anacortes, Whatcom County folks and any legislator so this measure does not carry through."

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:33 AM

I realize this isn't ferry related, but I've been trying to figure out if Washington State DOT charges Canadians for using tolled roads and highways. There's no info on their website, and only theories on other sites relating to privacy laws prohibiting the WSDOT from accessing Canadian plate data.

So I contacted WSDOT via Twitter for confirmation:

"I'm having a little bit of trouble confirming whether or not BC drivers are tolled in WA state. May I confirm with you?"

"Drivers using toll roads need to pay a toll. Here's a look at our toll facilities: http://1.usa.gov/1Hk8x64 ."

"How are tolls charged to Canadian vehicles? How do we pay? There is no information on the site that I can find. Thx."

"Let's send this question over to our friends at @GoodToGoWSDOT. They can help with questions about paying tolls."

...no response since. Simple question that you'd think they would have the answer to.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

The ones I have driven on you have to physically stop at a toll booth and pay.

The only freebies you get are photo radar, red light cameras, no tickets for you.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

No answer yet. I'm guessing they still don't charge Canadian plates due to no access to plate info.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:17 PM

^The website says visitors and rental cars have to set up an account within 72 hours. I get the impression it's on the honour (honor?) system.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

You'd think they'd like to accommodate visitors rather than charge them tolls. It's not like we'll be getting away with something for two months.

Still no response. My guess is they don't want to admit there's nothing they can do.

Know it all.

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

Does it work the other way? Does a Yank get a bill when they cross a toll bridge in Port Coquitlam?

#19 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:42 AM

I have no information on the specific hwys you are talking about.  But we travelled across Ontario on the tolled hwy's & saw the signs saying you must register within 48 hours etc...  Tried to do that with no success, wouldn't take our plate number.

When I sent an email, the response I got was that BC wouldn't give Ontario the registration information for them to send the bill.  I'm thinking that BC won't give anyone the information on their drivers.

#20 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

BC's tolled bridges only charge BC plates. I didn't know this until I tried to pay online when my car had Manitoba plates and a bill never appeared. Called them (the Port Mann people) and was told there wasn't a charge! Admittedly that was eighteen months ago, so the information may be out of date.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users