Morley Soda Water Factory | 9 units | Completed in 2010

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

Today I saw a big sign in Waddington Alley for Lefevre's 7-unit condo project that's going in the old Morley Soda Works building. I don't see it on his website though. :confused: Anyway it looks like that's what's going to go in there.

#2 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

here?
http://www.vibrantvi...ead.php?p=92071

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:30 PM

LeFevre plans to add a third storey to the building. It will be residential with two live/work units on the ground floor. The courtyard in back will be retained and it will connect with the Leiser Building's courtyard.

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

The third floor is mostly metal, and is set back from the facade.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

Pretty good but I would have preferred some commercial on the ground floor.

#6 Ridley

Ridley
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:04 AM

Very glad to see that some of these heritage building s are being developed. However the 3rd floor...metal...this is not in keeping with the rest of the facade...only my opinion but don't like it... Should have kept with masonry...

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

I would have preferred lots of glass on the top floor. Glassy additions to heritage buildings tend to look fantastic. Victoria seems to be terrified to try it.

picture from www.pub-explorer.com

picture from www.coastaljazz.ca

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

I agree a glass addition would be the best option. I think that in any addition it should be clearly new an dbold rather than something that is supposed to blend and and confuse the viewer as to whether it is part of the original or not.

#9 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

There's a strong movement within City Hall that is against large glassy additions to heritage buildings. They would rather additions be neutral and less noticeable.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:26 AM

Less noticeable than glass?

"Engage cloaking device"

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

There's a strong movement within City Hall that is against large glassy additions to heritage buildings. They would rather additions be neutral and less noticeable.

Forgoing the obvious question of "Why?", I'll make the point that metal or wood additions such as the one proposed above can end up being much more obvious than glassy additions.

Where did people get the idea that the old town shouldn't contain a lot of glass?

Picture by SeanBirch at Flickr.com
http://www.flickr.co...@N00/445722622/

It's very ironic that the more care we put into designing new buildings that are "sympathetic" to the old ones, the more we violate the design principles that the old buildings represent. Short, low-detail buildings with small windows and enormous setbacks are the antithesis to the architecture of old Victoria.

#12 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

It's very ironic that the more care we put into designing new buildings that are "sympathetic" to the old ones, the more we violate the design principles that the old buildings represent. Short, low-detail buildings with small windows and enormous setbacks are the antithesis to the architecture of old Victoria.

How very true.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#13 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

We had quite a few of these storefront set-ins.

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, it seems that they became increasingly popular.

#15 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

^^ I actually quite like those (set-ins) when they're as well done as this one.

They offer more display space, invite window shopping/ gawking/ lingering, and provide a nice enclosure - sort of like stepping off the train (sidewalk) and then catching it again later.

I really like the one in this particular photo, victorian fan: great 20th c. aesthetic in the design.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#16 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

I really like the one in this particular photo, victorian fan: great 20th c. aesthetic in the design.

And they sold lovely shoes too. :)

#17 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

The third floor is mostly metal, and is set back from the facade.

I considered The Adria on Fort Street (opposite The Mosaic) the most prosaic building recently constructed in the downtown core and a structure undeserving of it's site (or inversely, the site deserved better). But if this addition to the Morley's Soda Water Factory ever gets built, we'll have a new bottom rung. Interesting sites like this are rare and I can't believe that this is what we consider the most inspiring design. I know many people have their fingers in the pie before the design is finalised but who penned what appears to be a shed to house the elevator overrun?

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

You probably won't even see the top addition from street level.

#19 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

You probably won't even see the top addition from street level.

All the more reason to put something really worthy up there! Besides, you'll probably be able to see it from the harbor/ other side/ Songhees. So why not something that really gives a shout out?

Oh, wait. What am I thinking. This is Victoria, where ever since Rattenbury, we have to make sure that our buildings disappear and can't be seen from anywhere by anyone. Recall: favorite pacifier of every developer to City Council: "And here are some studies showing that you/ tourists won't be able to see our building at all!"

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

^I wasn't justifying it. I was just saying.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users