Photo

Morley Soda Water Factory | 9 units | Completed in 2010

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

All the more reason to put something really worthy up there! Besides, you'll probably be able to see it from the harbor/ other side/ Songhees. So why not something that really gives a shout out?

Yes, this was the argument The Falls' architect used when designing the "lantern" glass penthouse units atop the building. He was asked at the public hearing if they are too prominent and would be seen from the Coho ferry and the architect said he hoped so, that was the point.

Sorry about the poor quality photocopy but this is a view of the renovation and the extra storey as seen from Johnson St. at the entrance to Waddington Alley:

#22 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

Sorry about the poor quality photocopy but this is a view of the renovation and the extra storey as seen from Johnson St. at the entrance to Waddington Alley...

And what architect is responsible for this pablum?

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:00 PM

The architect is just doing what the City wants.

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

They should consider doing what they want and see how the public reacts. This is not a heritage building is it? Just heritage registry?

I would have a two storey glassy cube come out the top which would allow for the ground floor to be used as commerical. Ideally a cafe with tables scattered in part of the alleyway ahh it would be just so wonderful. Instead we get a closed up box with a metal shed on the roof that gives nothing back to the city.

The city needs to wake up and actually try to make the city better. Rather than a lifeless boring museum which seems to be the intention of this council and planning dept.
Let's close down late night eateries, encourage ground floor office or residential and have absolutely no building be distinct.

How forward thinking!

I think LeFevre has done enough for this city to have some ability to do something distinct and get away with it. Let's go back try again and come back with some cojones. If its good than I will personally write council and planning in support.

#25 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

I'd agree LeFevre has proven himself several times over, and definitely deserves a listen at this point. However, one of the ways he's proved himself is the ability to create innovative projects that work under the constraints he's given. While other developers protest (justly) that the numbers don't work under the conditions the city offers, LeFevre seems to be able to make them work. After seeing how awesome the Railyards and the Wilson building turned out, I'm eager to see what he can do with this new project.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:17 PM

Well if "seeing" is what we have seen so far it just doesn't cut it.

I agree he has made some great places Herald Street is almost a great street due to him (too many parking lots still)

#27 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:08 PM

And what architect is responsible for this pablum?

Ray Hunt at InsideOut Architects of Sidney is the architect. I like Ray's work and have done several jobs with him. He does all of Chris Lefevre's work

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

I agree he has made some great places Herald Street is almost a great street due to him (too many parking lots still)

This building? I like that one. I trust his aesthetic judgement more than I would anyone at City Hall.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

This goes before CotW this Thursday at 9 am for its Heritage Alteration Permit.

#30 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

Was the application approved by CotW?

#31 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

Yes.

#32 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

Public Hearing March 12, 7:30 pm, City Hall.

#33 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:49 AM

http://www.timescolo...0927/story.html

Historic City Morley's building will be turned into nine live-work condo's.

Morley's Soda Water Factory enters a new chapter when work starts in a few weeks to create entry-level condominiums in the high-profile historic building.This nine-month project saves an important Victoria old town building at 1315-1317 Waddington Alley, and creates nine new live-work condos at a time when many other developers are stalled during the global economic downturn.
Owner Chris Le Fevre, developer of several prominent heritage and contemporary buildings, said
.........Morley's units go on the market this weekend.

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:33 AM

Still would rather have seen a glassy modern addition rather than this drab addition. The contrast between the glass and the old brick would have been stunning.

#35 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

That top floor addition will ruin it.

Edit: ^What he said.

#36 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

The drawing in the TC is nothing more than a crappy rendering, give the building a chance. I've been impressed with LeFreve stuff so far, so I see no reason to take a wait and see approach, his approach at restoring and adding to the building is a helluva lot better than the option of allowing the building to continue decaying and eventually get torn down and a building of no historical sense of value put up in its place.

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

Well I heard he wanted to a more daring design but was not allowed.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:53 PM

Here's the website.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:11 PM

They should paint the place.

#40 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

Scan from Glenalan54:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users