Photo

Morley Soda Water Factory | 9 units | Completed in 2010

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 landfirst

landfirst
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

First of all I would like to thank Chris Lefevre for taking a risk on developing this beautiful old building while encouraging population density in the downtown core. For those of you with little construction experience it is far easier and more financially viable to build new walls, as far as glass is concerned with the exposure of the top floor suites you would essentially be creating an oven up there.

Another aspect of the site that has been overlooked in this forum is the rear portion of the property adjoining the Leiser building. The language of the space and privacy of the rear garden and courtyard provides visitors and owners unique outdoor living space which in turn can only improve the vibrancy of the downtown core. It is in my opinion that the core needs more people actually living downtown, and I think this development deserves a lot more respect than it is currently getting.

The developer has once again brought life to Victoria's downtown and provided vitality to what was once a tired alley.
We should try and look beyond the obvious aesthetics and think about the this developments contribution to the city of Victoria.

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

First of all I would like to thank Chris Lefevre for taking a risk on developing this beautiful old building while encouraging population density in the downtown core. For those of you with little construction experience it is far easier and more financially viable to build new walls, as far as glass is concerned with the exposure of the top floor suites you would essentially be creating an oven up there.

What? So any building with large windows facing... north... becomes an oven? Wow, I pity these people in these Shoal Point $3-5M homes that are just ovens... That's a shame.

Another aspect of the site that has been overlooked in this forum is the rear portion of the property adjoining the Leiser building. The language of the space and privacy of the rear garden and courtyard provides visitors and owners unique outdoor living space which in turn can only improve the vibrancy of the downtown core. It is in my opinion that the core needs more people actually living downtown, and I think this development deserves a lot more respect than it is currently getting.

I think we all want more people downtown, and we just have not talked about the rear portion as maybe we can't see it. All of us generally respect all of LeFevre's projects.

The developer has once again brought life to Victoria's downtown and provided vitality to what was once a tired alley.
We should try and look beyond the obvious aesthetics and think about the this developments contribution to the city of Victoria.

The first statement is true, the second one... I don't get it. We should "look beyond the obvious aesthetics"? Why? I blame the city more than the developer for the look, but both of them should be taken to task for what is now appearing there.

#63 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

You obviously no little of this developer as he wanted to create a modern glassy extension to this building and was stopped by the city. I have nothing against the developer and I appreciate that he carried on despite the city's idiocy.

I am sure the developer would echo many of the sentiments expressed. He did the best he could within the destructive rules created by Councillor Madoff and friends.

#64 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

What? So any building with large windows facing... north... becomes an oven? Wow, I pity these people in these Shoal Point $3-5M homes that are just ovens... That's a shame.

I hope they have some good A/C in there :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#65 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:10 PM

Picture:
http://www.flickr.co...366808/sizes/l/

#66 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

Picture:
http://www.flickr.co...366808/sizes/l/

I like it. Blends in with next door neighbour.

#67 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

But where's the architecture? There's no architecture in that.

#68 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:03 AM

It appears that this building reno is just about finished and ready for occupancy...

#69 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

Yep it's got occupancy now, could be listed as completed.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

Thanks!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:03 AM

You can own your own Morley soda fountain for less than $100.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#72 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 04:01 AM

$548,000

Nestled within the beautifully converted Heritage building 'The Morley Soda Factory', this bright and airy penthouse offers a large one-bed, one-bath, double balcony suite boasting a spacious open-plan design that seamlessly blends the surrounding historic architecture with a sleek and cozy interior. With two balconies facing east and west and two skylights, natural light floods the space. Architecturally enhanced, over-height ceilings feature wood beams that create a sense of volume and character. In suite laundry and a separate storage locker make living easy and convenient. An unparalleled location, this penthouse is surround by coffee shops, restaurants, specialty stores, yoga studios, and galleries. A pet-friendly building, approved for Live/Work, and zoned for vacation rentals, offering flexibility and versatility for your lifestyle. Don't miss out on this rare find in the historic Old Towne, where you can enjoy the perfect blend of heritage charm and modern living.

929637_3.jpg

558 sq. ft.

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

• Matt R. likes this

#73 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 04:05 AM

$699,900

1008 1020 View St

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

1215 sq. ft.

923684_7.jpg

Would you rather choose this one?  Maintenance fees here are even $4 lower than Morley.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 April 2023 - 04:06 AM.

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 05:38 AM

Morley is legally AirBnB-able, so it’s price is quite inflated.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 05:41 AM

Yes that’s right.

Of course at even $200/night rented 365 days a year it takes almost a decade to pay it off if you buy all cash. Considerably longer if you have a mortgage.

I’d rather buy Tesla stock. You don’t have to clean any toilets.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 April 2023 - 05:45 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#76 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 04:14 PM

Buyers seem to be relying on a never ending price appreciation for the numbers to make any sense. Not sure how the numbers look if prices just plateau.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users