Victoria Seals Baseball

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#21 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

I believe the city wanted a whl team but the league did not want one in Victoria.

The WHL is very careful about expansion and there have been few teams available for purchase to be moved.

The move of the Cougars to Prince George was a big loss for this city, though people were crap at supporting the team and the owners did not put the energy into the team.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

I could have sworn this thread was about the Seals when it began.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

Me too but I have been wrong before. I guess I should go buy a ticket for later this month. Has anyone gone to check out the new sign yet? I here that they are putting up a pretty cool one.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

Me too but I have been wrong before. I guess I should go buy a ticket for later this month. Has anyone gone to check out the new sign yet? I here that they are putting up a pretty cool one.

I've got a pair of season tix. You can always check with me to see if I have them availabale, free of course. I know I'm VIP into opening night, so I probably have a spare already for that game. I just sent them our logo for the scoreboard... sounds exciting.

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

I'm into any of the first Long beach games

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

Checked yesterday the sign wan't up yet.

#27 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:56 AM

I agree that 12-16$/ticket seems a bit pricy, especially for ball that doesn't sound much higher calibre than the old senior amateur league that used to play at Lambrick park (they may still), and those games were free.
In chains by Keynes

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

I agree that 12-16$/ticket seems a bit pricy, especially for ball that doesn't sound much higher calibre than the old senior amateur league that used to play at Lambrick park (they may still), and those games were free.

If you don't mind sitting in the nosebleeds, you can go to a Blue Jays game for less money and they are leading MLB!

I give the Seals one season. Like every other team in Victoria history they will likely do well for the first few games and then attendance will slowly trickle down.

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:23 AM

That would be a cheap flight. And really are nosebleeds less than 12 bucks?

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

They still do. It's called the Victoria Mavericks league, great ball.

http://www.victoriamavericks.com/

#31 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

That would be a cheap flight. And really are nosebleeds less than 12 bucks?

$9.

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:24 PM

I guess when you can seat 50k you have to find some way to fill it up.

either way if you don't want to pay don't go. I bet it will be busy.

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

Seals won their first game on Sunday, though they lost the three before so they ar 1 and 4 but hey it is still early :)

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

So I will be going to the game on Sunday. Would have loved to go to the season opener but I am just too busy friday. I can already smell the fried onions.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

This just in (to my inbox):

VICTORIA SEALS HOST MEDIA
BATTING PRACTICE THURSDAY

Local media invited to swing the bat with the team!
For Immediate Release
Tuesday May 26, 2009

Victoria, BC – The Victoria Seals are proud to welcome all Victoria television, radio and newspaper personalities to Royal Athletic Park for a Media Batting Practice on Thursday afternoon. One day ahead of the Seals’ first-ever home game, both the players and coaches will be on hand as the local media is invited to take a swing from home plate from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m.

Along with interview and photo opportunities with the team, the legendary concession stands at Royal Athletic Park will be up-and-running in preparation for opening night against the Long Beach Armada. The batting practice, which is also open to the public, will also be the time for all media to collect their 2009 Victoria Seals media pass, which will permit entry to each and every home game at Royal Athletic Park.

The Seals are back in action in their season-opening road trip tonight at Foothills Stadium against the Calgary Vipers - game time is 6:00 p.m. (PT). Fans can once again tune into the Seals’ live broadcast with Mike Walker, online at www.victoriaseals.ca.

With the final game in Calgary set for Wednesday, the team will return home for their home opener on Friday night against Long Beach. The first 1,000 fans in attendance for the first game at Royal Athletic Park will receive a commemorative ‘Inaugural Season’ pin on their way into the ballpark.

Be sure to pick up your single-game or season tickets to the Victoria Seals' 40 home games now at www.selectyourtickets.com or at 250.220.7777. Regular ticket prices will range from $10 for General Admission to $16 for the Grandstand. And of course, kids under six get in FREE!

The Victoria Seals are still looking for host families for the 2009 season. Welcome a member of our baseball family into your home, and you will also receive season tickets! If you would like more information on serving as a host family, please contact Roxann Bury at 250.480.HITS (4487) or email to roxann@victoriaseals.ca.

the legendary concession stands at Royal Athletic Park will be up-and-running in

Hmmm.... unclear what that means. The hot dogs are good but hot dogs are good just about anywhere. The rest of the concession is or was standard government-run lame fare.

This might sum it up:

...what's a BUG COIL?

EDIT: Sounds tasty....

http://search.japant...20081111b1.html

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

So has anyone been listening to the online play by play? I keep forgetting to tune in.

Anyone else going on Sunday? Went and checked out the end of the batting practice today and am looking forward to Sunday. Wish I could go tomorrow, hope there is a huge crowd, the TC has been doing a great job so far of covering their not so great road trip...

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

So has anyone been listening to the online play by play? I keep forgetting to tune in.

Anyone else going on Sunday? Went and checked out the end of the batting practice today and am looking forward to Sunday. Wish I could go tomorrow, hope there is a huge crowd, the TC has been doing a great job so far of covering their not so great road trip...

I hope to go Sunday. I went and picked up my season-tix today, met a few players, met the owner/team president.

No sign of that scoreboard...taken today:

">

#38 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

Bug coils are the little spiral incense thingies that you light and keep by your tootsies to foil the skeeters.

#39 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:25 PM

hey VHF, do you have any more free tickets or was that just for the season opener?

G-Man, I wouldn't get my hopes up on them winning a lot of games. Expansion teams don't exactly have a great track record.

That is one ****ing strange menu. "Bug coils", "poppers", "chilly dilly pickles" and "fish". Just fish. Not a "fish sandwich" or a "fishwich" or a piece of fish, just "fish". And what type of fish? Again, it just says, "fish". And I thought "poppers" were pills, not food. Bug coils are tasty little snacks though. ;)

I might have to come to a game just to try out some of the weird food there.
In chains by Keynes

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

hey VHF, do you have any more free tickets or was that just for the season opener?

G-Man, I wouldn't get my hopes up on them winning a lot of games. Expansion teams don't exactly have a great track record.

That is one ****ing strange menu. "Bug coils", "poppers", "chilly dilly pickles" and "fish". Just fish. Not a "fish sandwich" or a "fishwich" or a piece of fish, just "fish". And what type of fish? Again, it just says, "fish". And I thought "poppers" were pills, not food. Bug coils are tasty little snacks though. ;)

I might have to come to a game just to try out some of the weird food there.

I've got a pair of season tix. Just ask, and I'll see if I can spare them for each individual game, no charge, just buy something at Soprano's before the game.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users