- - - - -

BC Liquor Stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Roger

Roger
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

I was in James Bay today and was at the grand opening of the new BC Liquor store. Very nice decor and a great selection of wines. They had several high end wines and liquors in an attractive wooden cabinet. The new location is on Menzies in the recently completed Vicino condo. There is a deli next door where you can pick up some goodies to go along with your purchase.

This is a great addition to the neighbourhood and a big improvement over the old location in the basement of the mall across the street.

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

Great that it's a nice store, but totally lame that the government has a hand in the selling of alcohol.

#3 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

Too bad they tore down the old building that stood opposite. Shops with apartments above. Would have made a nice contrast.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

Great that it's a nice store, but totally lame that the government has a hand in the selling of alcohol.

Agreed.

I'm in a business that sells over $600,000 of various lottery tickets a year. It's got lots of regulations and rules. But we can still sell them better, legally and in compliance with all their rules, than some government entity.

#5 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

Too bad they tore down the old building that stood opposite. Shops with apartments above. Would have made a nice contrast.

There was no building torn down across from this site. The new building is on the site of a former gas station. Opposite is Irving Park and the James Bay New Horizons.
Pieta VanDyke

#6 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:36 PM

There was no building torn down across from this site. The new building is on the site of a former gas station. Opposite is Irving Park and the James Bay New Horizons.

On the west side of Menzies from Simcoe to the park there was a long 2 story building, then a house, then the park.

#7 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

Couldn't agree more, just look at the price of booze here compared to the states. To quote the popular bumper sticker, "don't steal, the government hates competition!" The only good thing about this type of taxation is that it's optional, unlike so many others.

Getting back to the topic, I wonder if this will effect their prices or do BC liquor stores have pretty standard prices everywhere?
In chains by Keynes

#8 BlasterVic

BlasterVic
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:04 PM

Couldn't agree more, just look at the price of booze here compared to the states. To quote the popular bumper sticker, "don't steal, the government hates competition!" The only good thing about this type of taxation is that it's optional, unlike so many others.

Getting back to the topic, I wonder if this will effect their prices or do BC liquor stores have pretty standard prices everywhere?

Yes, US is cheaper but government liqour stores are always a couple of bucks cheaper than cold beer and wine stores (the ones I've been in at least). I was bummed when the government run booze shops closed up in the downtown core. Harris Green isn't too bad but the other booze shops are highway robbery because they can get away with it. IMO

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

Coming to the 1008 Pandora development.

Government-run BC Liquor Store to open in downtown Victoria after decade-plus absence

http://victoria.citi...e-plus-absence/

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:20 PM

Coming to the 1008 Pandora development...

One stop shopping here I come!

• Mike K. likes this

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

Coming to the 1008 Pandora development. Government-run BC Liquor Store to open in downtown Victoria after decade-plus absence...

I am hoping the following is simply a CFAX typo and not your actual quote Mike

...It will be a retail tenant next to what we learned last week will be a Save On Foods opening at the same development, so again at Pandora Avenue and Vancouver Street just east of the downtown core, the business centre. So it will tie into the neighbourhoods of North Park, it will tie into Fernwood, it'll tie into Heritage Green, and of course the downtown...

http://www.iheartrad...toria-1.2488785

Heritage Green????

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

Yikes! It's a typo.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

Yikes! It's a typo.

And they did it twice in the CFAX story.

#14 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

Was the last downtown government jar store the one at Nootka Court?

What memory is left seems to recall that parking was a bit of a hassle, and you often had to park illegally and dash in and back out for your quick dozen.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

The Bay Centre.

• Rob Randall likes this

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

What memory is left seems to recall that parking was a bit of a hassle, and you often had to park illegally and dash in and back out for your quick dozen.

Before the mall, Customs House I think.  Nootka Court before that.  In the late 80's I delivered newspapers to the mixer shop at top of Nootka, for sure.  I think they moved it in to mall at City's request, too many bums on Govt. street.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:52 PM

The last Downtown liquor store was in the ground floor of the Bay Centre and it closed June 2007.
  • tedward likes this

#18 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

The last Downtown liquor store was in the ground floor of the Bay Centre and it closed June 2007.

Being at the Douglas St end, it was actually below ground. ;)

• VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall and Nparker like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Coming to the 1008 Pandora development. Government-run BC Liquor Store to open in downtown Victoria after decade-plus absence...

BC Liquor Distribution Branch is contradicting you Mike.

There was news a BC liquor store was coming to downtown Victoria.  Speaking with CFAX, Mike Kozakowski of Citified.ca said they've heard a store, allegedly to be operated by the provincial agency, was planning to locate in a mixed use development at Pandora and Vancouver Street....But in an email to CFAX , Dixon Tam -- Senior Communications Officer for the branch -- says there are currently has no plans to open a government liquor store as part of a mixed use development at Pandora and Vancouver Street...

http://www.iheartrad...toria-1.2488785

#20 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

I wonder what the business case was for closing a booze store in the heart of the tourism market? Seems wacky to me.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users