BC Liquor Stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

I wonder what the business case was for closing a booze store in the heart of the tourism market? Seems wacky to me.

I think the mall might not have liked it.  There were "security events" often.  But that's why it also left Customs House, too many troubles around the door on display for tourists.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,578 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

BC Liquor Distribution Branch is contradicting you Mike.

Ah, well. It's still two years away. The lead I got was pretty solid, but who knows, there'll be a liquor store there one way or another.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

Hillside Liquor Store (on North Dairy at Shelbourne) is now a Liquor Plus according to the new signage and Liquor Plus' twitter feed.

#24 jonny

jonny
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:34 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this (do we have a more generic liquor related thread?), but the "free the beer" Supreme Court of Canada judgement is coming out tomorrow (April 19, 2018). 

A positive ruling would liberalize interprovincial trade within Canada, by allowing alchol to be freely transported between provinces. The case came to be when a man by the name of Gerard Comeau illegally transported a bunch of beer for his own personal consumption from Quebec (where the prices are cheaper) to New Brunswick. The New Brunswick provincial court found in Comeau's favour, but the government of New Brunswick appealed the case all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada. 

This judgement, if it goes the right way, could be a boon for BC wine, liquor and beer producers. 

Edited by jonny, 18 April 2018 - 08:35 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,578 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:37 AM

Well, if oil can flow across multiple provinces, why can't beer?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 jonny

jonny
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Well, it's very interesting timing given the behaviour of the BC NDP government. 

Canada already has settled law in this area: the 1921 decision involving Alberta liquor importer Gold Seal, where the Supreme Court ruled that non-tariff trade barriers (such as setting up a provincial liquor monopoly) are allowed under Section 121. 

http://nationalpost....-from-provinces

Apparently setting up a provincial liquor monopoly does not impede Section 121 of the constitution, which says that “All Articles of the Growth, Produce, or Manufacture of any one of the Provinces shall, from and after the Union, be admitted free into each of the other Provinces.”

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:13 AM

It was more about different high tax rates in each province. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users