Photo

Public Art - Do you like it? e.g. Arena or Bastion Sq.?

• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

New public art, inspired by Victoria's heritage, hits city streets

Times Colonist

The City of Victoria plans to unveil its latest public art project at a ceremony today.

The Hands of Time, by artist Crystal Przybille, is a series of 12 bronze sculpted hands representing elements of Victoria’s heritage. They vary in age, gender and culture and are engaged in various activities — from raising a tea cup to carving a canoe paddle.

MORE: http://www.timescolo...treets-1.227657

About the Artwork

Each pair of three-dimensional hands is unique, varying in culture, age and gender, and will tell a story about a downtown location. Ranging in size from 25 x 17 x 7 to 60 x 40 x 20 centimetres, the 12 sculptures consist of hands carving a canoe paddle, holding a railway spike, performing with a fan, carrying blankets, carrying books, holding binoculars, tying a rope to a mooring ring, panning for gold, raising a tea cup, holding a mirror, cupping dogwood blossoms, and digging camas bulbs.

MORE: http://www.victoria....rt-project.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

This is great.  This is the kind of thing we should be doing all over downtown.  This is Fort and Langley.

11988488_1046834638669541_95725464180427

• nagel likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#103 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:58 PM

This is great.  This is the kind of thing we should be doing all over downtown.  This is Fort and Langley.

i like it but is it art or a bike rack (not that it can't be both)?

• Nparker likes this

#104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

Oh, I was hoping it can be both.  If it is a bike rack, maybe it needs a tiny sign on the seat indicating that, so nobody freaks when someone locks up to it.

#105 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

It's not locked up so somebody on drugs will be riding off on it one day.

• Nparker likes this

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:17 PM

Private land, it looks like.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,025 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:11 PM

Did we cover this already?

http://www.timescolo...ights-1.2048706

Matt.

#108 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:05 AM

I don't know if this belongs here, but whatever.  More interesting crosswalks coming (or at least 1 is).

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...attoo-1.3227978

• Nparker likes this

#109 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

looking for artists for commercial alley
http://www.victoria....cial-alley.html

#110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:08 AM

Surely this is a sign of the apocalypse. I find myself in agreement (at least partially) with Ben Isitt regarding the Douglas/Yates "puzzle art"  :eek:

...“When I look at value for money, I’m not sure we got it,” Coun. Ben Isitt said. “There’s paint on the roads. There’s paint or stickers on a building...“But just thinking of other projects of a similar nature that the city undertakes, I’m not sure how this project crept up toward the budget that was approved.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.Yjf4emsE.dpuf

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:12 AM

I disagree with Fran Hobbis too.  Very few, if any of the social media negative comments are about the building art, or the bike parking cover.  People like that.  They like the bike tool kit.

They think the road looks ridiculous, and it does, due to wear marks and dirt.

• Nparker likes this

#112 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:40 AM

i think the puzzle pieces are horrible.. they don't make any sense to me.. i don't mind the rainbow crosswalk, i like the flowers/stencil cross walk on fort.. it's not distracting and it fits within the lines of the crosswalk where the puzzle pieces just look like a mess

• Nparker likes this

#113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

A new piece has been installed above the entrance to the Johnson Street Parkade.

Check it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#114 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:27 PM

A new piece has been installed above the entrance to the Johnson Street Parkade.

This has a very 1960s vibe about it.

#115 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

Is that some form of subliminal advertising?

#116 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

Not sure if a bit of landscaping would do it. This is more what i am referring to..

The next time the City of Victoria commissions a Renaissance or Baroque palace, those sculptures will be the perfect fit.

• aastra likes this

#117 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

Coreyburger, on Jul 18 2018 - 11:07 AM said: 

The other problem is that most of the old statues were of truly terrible people, largely wealthy white imperialists. No thanks.

That's the thing. Until the "modern" period (c. second quarter of the 19th century) most European art was made in the service of the Church or the State. "Art for art's sake", as we know it today, was pretty much a foreign concept before then.

#118 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:20 AM

That's the thing. Until the "modern" period (c. second quarter of the 19th century) most European art was made in the service of the Church or the State. "Art for art's sake", as we know it today, was pretty much a foreign concept before then.

So much wrong with this statement its hard to know where to start

#119 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:22 AM

So much wrong with this statement its hard to know where to start

In your opinion perhaps, but 200 years of western art criticism would mostly disagree with you.

#120 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

In your opinion perhaps, but 200 years of western art criticism would mostly disagree with you.

Well first, to say "art for the sake of art" was a mostly foreign concept until our current era is patently ridiculous. And secondly to dismiss art because it was influenced by/made for/patronized by religions and states is crazy. What do you think the last few thousand years of human history is made of? Religions and states.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users