Photo

Times Colonist

• Please log in to reply
621 replies to this topic

Poll: The Times Colonist: Will it survive? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

The Times Colonist: Will it survive?

1. Yes - The TC will always be here as a daily paper (17 votes [20.99%])

Percentage of vote: 20.99%

2. Yes - but not a daily (26 votes [32.10%])

Percentage of vote: 32.10%

3. Yes - but Internet only (13 votes [16.05%])

Percentage of vote: 16.05%

4. No - it is no longer viable (25 votes [30.86%])

Percentage of vote: 30.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#541 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

^That's grand

#542 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

http://www.4-the-lov.../4x4-truck.html

#543 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

http://www.4-the-lov.../4x4-truck.html

Ah ha! Kids these days.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#544 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Ah ha! Kids these days.

If that is the vehicle they were in they were also illegal, with five people in the front seat.

#545 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

If that is the vehicle they were in they were also illegal, with five people in the front seat.

Actually... I think that is a misconception.

I seem to recall, as long as all the seat belts are in use, extra passengers can travel inside a vehicle.

#546 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

All occupants need to have a seatbelt.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#547 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

All occupants need to have a seatbelt.

Unless it's an old car. I had a car with no seat belts in the back. Perfectly legal.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#548 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Unless it's an old car. I had a car with no seat belts in the back. Perfectly legal.

Yes, absolutely. Can't mess with or remove the seat belts that were originally installed. (can upgrade I assume?)

If you're old enough not to have to be in a car seat, then I'm pretty sure you're allowed to sit on another passengers lap, or in the back of a wagon, hatchback, etc.

Seems odd, I know.

Now, there's probably something about not interfering with the driver's ability to safely operate the vehicle... which five people in a standard cab is probably pushing.

I only brought it up because I think it's an odd shortfall in the MVA. I also remember a case where some kind of child-care provider got in a crash with a child or two riding in the back of her hatchback and she wasn't found negligent. (Edit: this was probably before existing child seat laws, 1996?)

#549 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Was that actually the vehicle they were traveling in or are we speculating?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#550 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

http://www.timescolo...1360/story.html

From left, club director Kevin Attewell, Erin Schaff and Victoria Royals' Zach Habscheid work out on the hotel's new gym equipment.

There are three people in this picture?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#551 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

Maybe the Royals' Habscheid is a little person, like Eddie Gaedel and you just can't see him.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#552 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Something that I have noticed is that the TC does not keep past articles online, or at least not at the same URL as they were originally published with.

The TC article from Jan 2011 about the Speed Ave project is now offline - http://www.timescolo...1456/story.html

I wonder why older articles aren't maintained? Is is a policy of theirs to remove old articles, or is it too difficult for them to keep the articles online?

Whatever the reason it is a shame. One thing about having a printed copy of a newspaper is that it can be kept for future reference. If the TC feels that it is worth it to publish articles online then why isn't it worth it to them to keep the articles available?

#553 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

It's been like this from day one. I wonder if the old stories are archived under a pay-for-access setup?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#554 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

Something that I have noticed is that the TC does not keep past articles online, or at least not at the same URL as they were originally published with.

The TC article from Jan 2011 about the Speed Ave project is now offline - http://www.timescolo...1456/story.html

I wonder if they don't want online competition from VV?

#555 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

But often by searching some of the keywords even from an archived cache, you can find the same article but with a Canada.com tag.

#556 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Does anyone else find this article lacking anything?

Rogers closing its last video rental store in Greater Victoria

April 11, 2012 9:02 PM

Greater Victoria’s last Rogers Video store is selling its inventory this week and getting out of the movie rental business.

“The store will be holding a liquidation sale starting this week,” Leigh-Ann Popek, senior manager of media relations for Rogers Communications, said in an email. “We will no longer be offering DVD rentals there, but the store is staying open and will undergo some renovations. No employees are impacted.

“We’re refocusing our retail approach to better serve our customers, and we remain committed to our customers in Victoria.”

Rogers stores today stock cellphones, wireless accessories and tablets.
© Copyright © The Victoria Times Colonist

http://www.timescolo...4451/story.html

#557 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Does anyone else find this article lacking anything?

http://www.timescolo...4451/story.html

Ha! Isn't this the usual investigative 'no stone left unturned' quality journalism we expect?

Sidenote: I admit I was surprised to find out this was the only store left. Existing ones closed quietly? Yes?

#558 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

But often by searching some of the keywords even from an archived cache, you can find the same article but with a Canada.com tag.

It's funny when that happens--the story is brought up in the old TC format, surrounded by ancient stories like the Mumbai bombing.

#559 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

DVD, VHS, CD, even thumb drives are all dead. Everything we are going to need in the future is going to available to us neatly in our personal cloud.

#560 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

I hate, hate, hate the idea of the personal cloud.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users