Photo

Times Colonist

• Please log in to reply
621 replies to this topic

Poll: The Times Colonist: Will it survive? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

The Times Colonist: Will it survive?

1. Yes - The TC will always be here as a daily paper (17 votes [20.99%])

Percentage of vote: 20.99%

2. Yes - but not a daily (26 votes [32.10%])

Percentage of vote: 32.10%

3. Yes - but Internet only (13 votes [16.05%])

Percentage of vote: 16.05%

4. No - it is no longer viable (25 votes [30.86%])

Percentage of vote: 30.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#561 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

According to the Times Colonist, I'm in danger of contracting "Hepitits A" from Western Family-brand Pomeberry frozen fruit.

#562 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Yup, there's another health advisory for the HEP A virus. It's discussed in this thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#563 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

I think he was pointing out the spelling error goof on the TC's part ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#564 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Right :)

Hepitits. I like it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#565 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

According to the Times-Colonist, I'm in danger of contracting "Hepitits A" from Western Family-brand Pomeberry frozen fruit.

Imagine if it were contracted by Pamela Anderson or Dolly Parton! :o

#566 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Imagine if it were contracted by Pamela Anderson or Dolly Parton! :o

No, Pam Anderson has Hep C:

http://www.thebody.c...t/art32378.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#567 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

The drama unfolded after two men released pepper-spray inside Paul Mara Jewellers, at Fort and Broughton streets, before fleeing with jewelry.

http://www.timescolo...8970/story.html

I don't know about you guys, but the level of crime seems to be getting quite high at Fort and Broughton. So much so that I avoid that intersection altogether whenever I can.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#568 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

The police just wrapped up an enforcement campaign at Douglas and View.

Now we know where the criminals were displaced.

Know it all.

#569 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

^It took me a while to get that joke.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#570 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

Two women were taken into custody and a young child was in the residence, Jantzen said.

Saanich police have notified the Ministry of Children and Family Services.

Jantzen said it was too early to say who would face charges in relation to the alleged drug operation.

http://www.timescolo...5097/story.html

Do you think if the only arrests were not two women, that third line would make the paper? Or even do you think the first line would read "two women were arrested at the scene..." instead of the way it's worded?

#571 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

http://www.timescolo...5095/story.html

The committee also endorsed the elimination of one of Crystal Pool's three classes of annual passes.

The bronze passes - which cost $294.48 for adults and $227.30 for seniors, compared to gold passes at $384.94 and $297.14, respectively - allow access to the facility during what are traditionally low-use periods. An estimated 90 people, mostly seniors, currently buy bronze passes.

Director of parks and recreation Kate Friars said the different classes of passes were developed years ago to try to encourage use of the pool during less popular times.

City staff say administering the system, which is unique to Victoria in the region, is difficult.

The city would retain the silver and gold passes.

So, if you are like me, you are saying, well, I hope those seniors don't have a huge increase to go from the (eliminated) bronze, to the presumably higher-cost silver. But alas, the article does not tell us what the silver passes cost, only that they propose keeping them.

#572 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

Jeez, by the way the precious metals market has been moving lately, I'd say the price for gold and silver is about evening out... :P
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#573 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

http://www.timescolo...5097/story.html

Do you think if the only arrests were not two women, that third line would make the paper? Or even do you think the first line would read "two women were arrested at the scene..." instead of the way it's worded?

I wouldn't read too much into it. The line about the two women and a minor is from the Saanich Police media release:

http://www.saanichpo...ases&Itemid=101

Regarding the third line, a lot of investigative work can go into proving that an individual in a residence had knowledge and control of a marihuana grow.

#574 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

Man who tried to kill ex-fiancée, husband sentenced to 9 1 years /2

American to be deported when released

By Louise Dickson, Times Colonist May 12, 2012 7:19 AM

http://www.timescolo...1373/story.html

What? Is that nine one-year terms, divided by two? Or 91 years divided by two?

"It was by sheer luck that no one was hit by the bullets and Mr. Goldberg facing a charge of murder," Gaul said.

Do you think that's what the judge said? Is his grammar that poor?

Gaul is fluently bilingual, a welcome addition to the court to replace a number of bilingual judges who have recently retired or chosen to work part time. A person has the right to be tried in B.C. in either of Canada’s official languages.

Gaul received a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Windsor in 1988 and was admitted to B.C. bar in 1989. From 1998 to 2003 he was communications counsel with the B.C. attorney-general’s ministry and answered media queries about the Air India trial and other high-profile prosecutions.

He has been director of legal services for the criminal justice branch since 2003. In 2000, he joined the reserves of the Canadian Forces, working in the office of the Judge Advocate General and was commissioned as a lieutenant (navy). He was promoted to the rank of lieutenant-commander in 2004.

#575 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

It's such a non-sequitor that it sounds more like an editing error than an awkwardly spoken statement. Bullets are deadly but having a large man flung at you is dangerous, too.

#576 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

http://media.bclocal...ayCover3820.jpg

Pam Grant is now exclusive to Monday Mag.

#577 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

Why, whomever will tell the masses that read the TC where and where not to eat?!

#578 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Pam must not have been a staff writer as I can't imagine anyone giving up a union salary for a gig with the skinflints at Monday.

#579 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

http://www.timescolo...2536/story.html

Body recovered after car drives off West Coast Road into ocean

Royal Canadian Air Force search and rescue technicians have recovered a body from a car that submerged in the ocean off West Coast Road in Otter Point. It appears the woman was driving her blue sedan down the driveway of her ocean-front home at 7751 West Coast Road around 11:30 a.m. when the car lost control and ended up in the ocean. ...

... Wright said the husband is very distraught after watching his wife's lifeless body being pulled from the ocean.

Oh yeah? You don't say? Well done, TC. Just another example of what kind of ahead-of-the-game reporting we've come to expect.

#580 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

^Sorry, I don't see the problem. Enlighten us?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users