Victoria driving, automobile, auto dealership and related news

• Please log in to reply
520 replies to this topic

#301 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:57 PM

That's not fair. Many of our discussions have aged terribly. Why point the finger at that one?

Question..

Why did Groucho Marx's voice just read that in my mind?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Ok, I may be dating myself quoting Groucho, but single grumpy old guys on VV can't be picky when it comes to dating. Only problem is I can't go Dutch on my solo dates, then again I prefer Canadian women and figs.
  • jasmineshinga likes this

#302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:08 AM

yates and cool. se corner.

#303 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:16 AM

and maybe thats the intention for the new Volvo location....just not right now. With the extreme cost of prime real estate and the years long development app delays its unlikely that this corner lot would produce 'affordable' housing. Just more $500-900k condos.

Let the other corners develop and just wait.

We also dont know what type of lease commitment GAIN Group made with the landlord

#304 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:27 AM

volvo has needed more space for years.  

#305 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

First thing...return Hillside and Douglas to a roundabout. Then come up with a great new use for where the Volvo dealership is.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#306 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

Although I like roundabouts, this one might be disastrous given the volume of traffic at the busiest five-way intersection on the Island, and likely in the top 5 in the province.

Introducing something like that to a region that doesn’t have roundabouts at other busy intersections (I’m not talking about single lane roundabouts in residential neighbourhoods or the sleepy interchange at the airport) would get ugly. Tourists as well would find it stressful.

The current lights work well, despite the longer wait times.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#307 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

No big mystery here.  GAIN recently purchased Volvo Victoria from Jim Pattison.  The dealership is moving from a location owned by Pattison to a location owned/leased by GAIN.  I expect it to be a temporary move until they can build a new showroom like Alfa/Maserati. 

• Mike K. likes this

#308 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

Yup, that's exactly what's happening.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#309 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:48 AM

reminder:

Head of the GAIN Group, Peter Trzewik, said the deal has been in the works for a couple of years and represents a “nice addition to our portfolio".

He said it will be business as usual at that location, but there will be a new building and new location for the dealership at some point.

“We will build them a new store in two or three years, similar to what we did with Audi and Porsche,” he said.

Trzewik said the current location is difficult in terms of access and also does not afford the brand an opportunity to catch the eye of passing motorists as the intersection is simply too busy. He would not divulge the proposed new location as that real estate transaction has not yet completed.

As for staffing, the intention is to hold onto the staff currently there. “Like we did with Speedway, most of those people are still with us,” he said. “In today’s labour market you need every good person that comes your way. It’s not easy to find good people right now.”

https://www.timescol...ison-1.23950775

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2019 - 09:49 AM.

#310 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:44 AM

I think it could be done Mike. Lots of advertising on the part of the City as to how it works beforehand. Traffic cop in the centre to straighten out any confusion or conflict. It's because it's the busiest five way intersection in the city that it needs to be done. I would say that on a normal time, it would take you from about 15-25 seconds to get through and onto the street you want. Now, the light takes 90 seconds. And think how cool a roundabout with a sculpture or other art work would be at the entrance to the city!

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#311 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:48 AM

no it would not work.  it needs more north-south high-flow opportunities (morning and evening rush) than the others.  and a roundabout doesn't ever give priority or larger flow to any direction.

#312 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

How about just dropping this feat of German traffic engineering down? I'm sure Victorians would adjust quickly  :P

Link: https://goo.gl/maps/n4ee3MuFdCEULz8q7

Capture.PNG

• lanforod likes this

#313 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

Although I like roundabouts, this one might be disastrous given the volume of traffic at the busiest five-way intersection on the Island, and likely in the top 5 in the province.

Introducing something like that to a region that doesn’t have roundabouts at other busy intersections (I’m not talking about single lane roundabouts in residential neighbourhoods or the sleepy interchange at the airport) would get ugly. Tourists as well would find it stressful.

The current lights work well, despite the longer wait times.

At some of the bigger roundabouts in Spain and Portugal they have traffic lights controlling who can enter when.

I don't know if that is a solution or not but it seemed to work ok.

Another thing I liked was on the highways in Portugal they have chevrons painted on the road surface every once in a awhile, one chevron between you and the car ahead, you're tailgating, two between and you are at a safe following distance. Could use that here, some drivers seem totally unaware of how little room for error they are leaving when following traffic.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#314 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:03 AM

A-parkade-has-been-proposed-north-of-downtown-Victoria,-but-you-won-be-able-to-use-it.jpg

A massing model depicts the scale of a multi-level parkade proposed for 750-780 Summit Avenue at Nanaimo Street in Victoria's Burnside-Gorge neighbourhood. However, the building's parking spaces will not be accessible to the public.

A parkade has been proposed north of downtown Victoria, but you won't be able to use it

Know it all.

#315 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:48 AM

The letter does not write specifically to which dealerships would use the facility, but neighbouring businesses include Wheaton Chevorlet Buick Cadillac GMC Ltc., Audi Victoria, FIAT Victoria, Jim Pattison Toyota and Jim Pattison Lexus.

https://www.vicnews....for-public-use/

#316 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:40 PM

Sale of downtown Victoria's Pacific Mazda auto dealership paves way for multi-tower development

https://victoria.cit...er-development/

Know it all.

#317 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

A parkade has been proposed north of downtown Victoria, but you won't be able to use it

Spoke with my guys at Porsche and he confirmed that they are the ones building the parkade. They are using storage in various venues around town and this will bring it all together in a secure location.

Also Porsche and VW will be building a new facility on the old Canadian Tire site scheduled for 21-22 completion. This will make more sense then with them beside Audi, Maserati/Alfa plus the storage garage. 

Not sure what will become of the current location.

#318 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

Also Porsche and VW will be building a new facility on the old Canadian Tire site scheduled for 21-22 completion. This will make more sense then with them beside Audi, Maserati/Alfa plus the storage garage.

Interesting scoop. Is this the first we're hearing about GAIN having bought that property? Crazy about Porsche...isn't that building only like 5 years old? I guess The natural fit is for an eventual move of Volvo to the current VW site once this new VW is complete?

• rjag likes this

#319 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:00 AM

GAIN is building quite a presence in that immediate area. Audi/Maserti just south of Summit Avenue and the Canadian Tire lot, now VW/Porsche between Summit at Spruce, and the parkade further east on Summit at Nanaimo.

Thanks for the heads-up, rag.

Plans emerge for shuttered Douglas Street Canadian Tire property

https://victoria.cit...-tire-property/

Know it all.

#320 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:02 AM

FWIW, both VW and Porsche are in the last stages of their approval processes for new dealerships in Richmond. The design is always dictated by corporate, so the new Victoria locations may be similar. Note the absolutely massive parking structures, as the current trend is to have as much inventory on site as possible. The industry people say that customers increasingly like to browse rows rather than catalogs.

VW

Capture.PNG

Porsche

Capture2.PNG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users