Victoria driving, automobile, auto dealership and related news

• Please log in to reply
532 replies to this topic

#361 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:17 PM

musicians are buying Porsches?

Maybe I scrambled my words too much - I meant that musicians are facing similar shortages of new products for their trade due to suppliers temporarily shutting down production. 

#362 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

Was at the Porsche Dealer today and was told that every single new 911, GTS 4.0, GT4 & Spyder in Canada are sold out to mid 2021.

If you were in the market for a new Porsche you're out of luck unless you want a Macan or Cayenne or base 718. They have never seen it this way where every allocation across Canada is sold out for a year at least. 

Interesting.  The local Edmonton dealer has two GT4 models and at least one 911 model advertised for sale as 2020 production.

Actually they may have more than that, as my search was only for manual transmission vehicles.

I have little interest in cars without a manual gearbox, but do admit the Porsche PDK is very impressive.  

#363 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:33 PM

Is that due to increased demand, or because Porsche is no longer taking new orders? Musicians are running into this specific problem; existing stock for new models is being sold out but manufacturers are either decreasing production or shutting down lines altogether, inducing scarcity.

The shutdown may have had something to do with it. They are only doing custom orders as theres such a backlog. Normally Dealers are expected to bring in some floor models that havent been pre-sold for walk-ins. Every single new car has been spoken for, for the next year at least. What it means is that any new deliveries could be flipped by the new owner for more than MSRP and any used models values just bumped up a few points.

On top of our weaker $ this puts a lot of pressure on the used luxury market as theres a big market south of us and Canadian values look like a bargain

#364 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:36 PM

Is that due to increased demand, or because Porsche is no longer taking new orders? Musicians are running into this specific problem; existing stock for new models is being sold out but manufacturers are either decreasing production or shutting down lines altogether, inducing scarcity.

I call this the “hot tub effect”. Sad, really. Limits on outdoor spas, Porsche’s, new music instruments. Damn you, covid!

Matt.

#365 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:21 PM

My neighbour is expecting delivery of his Porsche Taycan in the next couple of weeks. $220k.

• rjag likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#366 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:04 PM

My neighbour is expecting delivery of his Porsche Taycan in the next couple of weeks. $220k.

It would be nice to see one in the flesh! Already seen three different Model Ys in the last week. 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:20 PM

rjag messaged me with this tidbit, and it turns out it's legit. I spoke with a couple of guys and the deal is confirmed.

Campus dealerships in Victoria (Honda, Infiniti, Acura and Nissan) have sold to Jim Pattison Auto Group.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#368 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:26 PM

I don’t even understand why we still have so much of the traditional dealership model.
  • MarkoJ, lanforod and m3m like this

#369 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

rjag messaged me with this tidbit, and it turns out it's legit. I spoke with a couple of guys and the deal is confirmed.

Campus dealerships in Victoria (Honda, Infiniti, Acura and Nissan) have sold to Jim Pattison Auto Group.

so, he now owns the Campus Group, Toyota(Lexus), Volvo and Subaru, anything else?  is he allowed to own too much of the market?  why do grocery stores, gas stations have to sell stores when they control too much of the market and not his group.

• Rob Randall and sebberry like this

#370 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:35 PM

Correct, those are now under his control.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#371 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:38 PM

That happened a while back.

• rjag likes this

#372 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:03 PM

That happened a while back.

yup surprisingly low key for such a big sale

#373 m3m

m3m
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:04 PM

so, he now owns the Campus Group, Toyota(Lexus), Volvo and Subaru, anything else?  is he allowed to own too much of the market?  why do grocery stores, gas stations have to sell stores when they control too much of the market and not his group.

Volvo is now part of GAIN.  

He only owns about 20-25 dealerships in BC. That's not big enough to warrant any regulation. 

#374 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:03 PM

Campus bought Graham Kia last year.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#375 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:07 PM

And Kot Group bought up the Hyundai dealership.

Know it all.

#376 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:00 PM

Campus bought Graham Kia last year.

That's not quite correct. Graham Kia was sold to Brad Ostermann and Greg Churchill. Brad was the GM at Campus Auto until he purchased the Kia dealership, but I don't think there are ownership ties. Greg is from North Saanich and also owns dealerships in Alberta and Washington.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#377 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:44 AM

We’ve got a candidate for the Volvo dealership. I’m just on the cusp of being able to say what it is, though. But it’s not Tesla.

Know it all.

#378 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:46 AM

We’ve got a candidate for the Volvo dealership. I’m just on the cusp of being able to say what it is, though. But it’s not Tesla.

IKEA?

Or maybe that third Walmart that's rumoured on "Hillside".

Fuddruckers would be great too.  Or a bowling alley.

#379 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:55 AM

It might be a nice compromise to have a two-level Fuddrucker's supercenter on a hillside somewhere.

• Matt R. likes this

#380 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:58 AM

^Just add Swedish meatballs to the menu and that should take care of everything.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users