Victoria driving, automobile, auto dealership and related news

• Please log in to reply
520 replies to this topic

#81 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:43 AM

Well I think eventually it would be a continuation of the high density corridor that the City of Victoria envisioned for Douglas Street north of downtown in the Downtown Plan agreed to last year.

One thing Saanich should be doing is trying to see if there needs to be improvements to the street grid as currently there are huge swathes of land with no street cutting through. If this were ever to develop into an area that pedestrian were expected to this fact would severely hamper it.

#82 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

I would kill to have this old Studebaker showroom at Douglas and Hillside:

http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=802

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#83 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

I'm not a fan of the auto mall concept. Surely in the 21st century there's a better way of marketing cars than paving a parking lot the size of a small village.

I purchased a boat online from Wisconsin a few years ago.

Maybe it is time to start buying our cars online.

http://www.where-can...car-online.com/

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

I'm not a fan of the auto mall concept. Surely in the 21st century there's a better way of marketing cars than paving a parking lot the size of a small village.

In an auto-dealers ideal world, he'd just have two demo cars of each model he sells. Then the purchaser selects all the options he wants, colour, rims etc., and his car is delivered in 3-6 weeks. In the consumer world of today, the guy wants to drive off the lot today with the vehicle that closest represents his preferred options. A huge lot with lots of the same model is the way it must be done.

#85 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

^I totally get what you're saying. But I think future cars will be infinitely customizable, and online ordering so easy that the car lot as we know it will be a thing of the past. Although I realize the allure of the perfect car right in front of you that you can immediately take home. Cars are often an emotional purchase.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:03 PM

^I totally get what you're saying. But I think future cars will be infinitely customizable, and online ordering so easy that the car lot as we know it will be a thing of the past. Although I realize the allure of the perfect car right in front of you that you can immediately take home. Cars are often an emotional purchase.

They are pretty customizable now, but you have to get your order in as that car starts on the prodcution line. So that's easy, it you are not behind 14000 people, your car will be built pretty quick. I think the lag is getting it delivered here (usually by rail then auto-carrier).

#87 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:10 PM

(usually by rail then auto-carrier).

Pshaw. This will deliver your car in no time.

#88 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

Heard a rumour the other day that perhaps Lexus will be moving to where the Volvo dealer is on Douglas and Hillside.

That might not be a bad idea. Right now, Lexus is sandwiched in a car ghetto between parent company Toyota and the neighbouring Honda lot on Finlayson. The Volvo company is on shaky ground. Ford is mulling over a plan to sell Volvo to a Chinese company.

Meanwhile, next door, the Saturn/Saab signs have been taken down and the lot looks like it's just being used as overflow from Suburban.

#89 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

Thoughts on what will become of the vacant car lots? I hope they won't be empty eyesores as people enter downtown but they aren't great locations for residential and do we really need more retail up there?

#90 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:35 AM

I would kill to have this old Studebaker showroom at Douglas and Hillside:

http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=802

Great building! Too bad its gone.
There were a couple like that years ago in Montreal and they got converted to condos with high ceilings and huge windows.

#91 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

I would love to residential and retail from Downtown to Uptown.

#92 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

Hertz is buying Dollar/Thrifty car rental. Victoria's outlet is behind the giant Metro Toyota lot on Frances, off Douglas.

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

Cool. Designed by Alan Lowe.

Now Acura drivers will be given a red-carpet treatment with a new dealership.

The service area alone is 3,000 square feet, indoors and heated on slate floors. Drivers pull up to sensors that automatically open the doors.

"It's all designed to give people the best quality service and experience possible," said Graham.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1IHraExiC
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#94 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:13 AM

Why does my car need to sit on heated slate floors?

Honestly, the only thing I care about is being able to get a free loaner car when I take mine in for service. The cookies in the waiting area at my dealership might be stale, but I get a car to drive around in. That's all that matters to me :P

I know that even some of the high-end dealerships in town only hand out one-way taxi vouchers if you need to leave your car there.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#95 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

I hope the new Jaguar-Land Rover dealership on North
Douglas has been designed for the "big one". Several people I know are amazed at how spindly the columns are.

#96 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

I hope the new Jaguar-Land Rover dealership on North
Douglas has been designed for the "big one". Several people I know are amazed at how spindly the columns are.

The Range Rovers and Jaguars will cushion the fall.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

On April 7th, 2012, Porsche Centre Victoria will be relocating to their temporary location at 1855 Blanshard Street across from Save-on-Foods Memorial Arena. We will be there for approximately 1 year's time while our brand new stand-alone showroom will be built beside Volkswagen Victoria on Douglas Street!

There are lots of new and exciting things happening with Porsche Centre Victoria and we look forward to experiencing them with you!

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us anytime at info@porschevictoria.com or 250-475-2415.

Speedway was recently bought, so it's changing up names a bit.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#98 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

I think the first part of this has been posted here somewhere previously, though I can't find it..

Pattison purchased the Victoria Motor Products / Cornell lot across the street from Metro Toyota and it's to be bulldozed and a spankin new dealership for Toyota to move into..

about freakin time.

cakes.. (old toyota nut)

#99 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

What will the Toyota lot become after the new dealership is complete?

#100 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

^I believe Lexus will remain in the old site and Toyota will move, but I might be disrembering what I was told.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users