Photo

Victoria driving, automobile, auto dealership and related news

• Please log in to reply
520 replies to this topic

#121 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

Any further details about height/developer/unit#?? 

#122 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

Well since its only a rumor I'll play along and say "yes please" as well to a Red Barn. Anything would be an improvement; as for condos there is or was a proposal down the street and around the corner on Douglas across from Mayfair for a 12-14 storey development a couple of years ago (whatever happened with that one?). Re: the Toyota dealership site what is the zoned height limit/restriction @ the Finlayson/Burnside corner - higher, shorter?

#123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

... Re: the Toyota dealership site what is the zoned height limit/restriction @ the Finlayson/Burnside corner - higher, shorter?

It's Victoria; presume shorter until told otherwise. :whyme:

#124 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

It's Victoria; presume shorter until told otherwise. :whyme:

Yup, if this actually materialized I am fully prepared for another in a seemingly endless procession of the prototypical "Victoria Special", those utterly uninspiring 3-4-storey boxes this city is so in love with. Sigh. O yet I dare to dream.......!

#125 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:53 AM

Guess what I found... Another car storage facility.  A whole lotta brand new Hyundais are parked under Cedar Hill Mall at CHXR and Shelbourne, they made a gated compound under the mall.   Maybe 60 cars under there.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

Right where they belong.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#127 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:21 AM

Guess what I found... Another car storage facility.  A whole lotta brand new Hyundais are parked under Cedar Hill Mall at CHXR and Shelbourne, they made a gated compound under the mall.   Maybe 60 cars under there.

Yup that's been there for a few years....strange spot for it....I think the underground of Standard Furniture on Douglas is also used for storage (at least it was when they were building the Porsche dealership)

#128 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

GAIN Dealer Group
New Corporate Name

Victoria, British Columbia, September 8, 2015. The German Auto Import Network is
pleased to announce that effective today we will be known as The Gain Dealer Group.

GAIN’s promise to provide clients with extraordinary customer service began with our
commitment to Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Volkswagen.

We are proud to include fellow members MINI and Subaru among our partner brands.
The GAIN Dealer Group will soon be introducing Vancouver Island to one of Italy’s most
exhilarating marques. We are excited to represent the joy, and the passion, that is Alfa
Romeo.

We have changed our name to reflect the international heritage of our partner brands.
Although our name has changed, the foundation of our business remains the same ̶ to
provide our clients with a level of service that is simply unparalleled.

The GAIN Dealer Group

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#129 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

I understand the battering of the VW stock price.  But are owners really all that upset about their current vehicle?

When VW offers a "fix" will owners line up to get a software change that is going to make their car get less mileage and/or perform worse, or last less long?  Because whatever they did to make the thing pass the emissions test, surely must mean it performs less well in some metric, if it was now permanently enabled.

#130 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:13 AM

^I think we have to wait to hear how the "fix" will actually affect performance. Who buys diesels? Gearheads and eco-drivers. One group may be more willing to sacrifice performance than the other. 

The thing I wonder is how all these cars got past Consumer Reports. They buy cars off the lot and test them independently.

#131 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:24 AM

The thing I wonder is how all these cars got past Consumer Reports. They buy cars off the lot and test them independently.

That's a good question.  But do they have the means to do sophisticated emission tests?

#132 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:25 AM

Who buys diesels? Gearheads and eco-drivers. One group may be more willing to sacrifice performance than the other. 

Excellent point.  Two different groups, for sure.  Well, maybe a third, the cost-conscious, as diesel used to be quite a bit cheaper, both per gallon at the pump, and in terms of mileage.

#133 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:48 AM

^I think we have to wait to hear how the "fix" will actually affect performance. Who buys diesels? Gearheads and eco-drivers. One group may be more willing to sacrifice performance than the other. 

Only about 3% of personal autos in NA are diesel but closer to 40% in EU and other parts of the world. Incredible fuel mileage, massive torque. These are not the loud smelly ones of yesteryear....you wouldn't notice you are beside one (except now for all the plant life wilting as it goes past!)  

#134 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

If you lived in Sooke or Sidney and commuted to Victoria or had an otherwise similar commute, a diesel makes sense.  But they're not great city cars.  Frequent short trips can have them suffering from carbon buildup and the particulate filters need to get quite hot to burn off the soot.  (Strange how they need the filters but burn the soot out down the tailpipe anyway...)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#135 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

That's a good question.  But do they have the means to do sophisticated emission tests?

Apparently not, they seem to only do mileage testing:

http://www.consumerr...-cars/index.htm

#136 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

Looks like the old Metro Toyota building is about to come down. Excavator on site today.

#137 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

Looks like the old Metro Toyota building is about to come down. Excavator on site today.

Did they sell the land?

#138 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:47 PM

IMG_8283.JPG IMG_8282.JPG

#139 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:09 PM

There goes my wish for Japanese Village to set up a satellite (read: local friendly) restaurant.

#140 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

I know lots of you guys will really like this :)

Tesla Motors charged up for Victoria expansion
http://victoria.citi...oria-expansion/

Palo Alto, California-based Tesla Motors has its eyes set on Victoria as part of a bid to expand its presence in Canada, according to a source who spoke to Citified on the condition of anonymity. [Full article]

• Mr Cook Street and nagel like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users