Discount Car and Truck Rentals

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ariesdude

ariesdude

Martin R.

• 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

What does anyone else think about thier policies? I would like to rant about thier service as I was given a written quote that they decided not to honour about a week later because it was month end. In my opinion one would figure it would be good business practice to honour a quote? Do you not Think? :mad: Anyone else have a opinion on this?

This is the letter I ended up sending to them:

============================================

Management:

This is an official grievance that I have with the Discount Car and Truck Rental Facility located on 764 Roderick Street, Victoria, B.C that transpired on February 1st. 2009.

On February 1st, 2009, I required the use of a cargo van to transport some personal belongings on behalf of my ailed mother from Duncan to Victoria. I had opted to procure the services of Discount car and truck rental in Victoria as I was given a written quote approximately one week prior that I was very content with.

However, on February 1st when I decided to use the quoted price of $36.95 / day (100Km Included) and rent a cargo van I was absolutely flabbergasted and goaded when the staff at the Discount car and truck location on Roderick Street told me that my quote was no longer valid and would not be honored because it was month end and instead I would be charged an augmented price of $59.95 with no kilometers included.

Furthermore adding to my infuriation; I mentioned that their Company’s online pricing reflected the original quoted price I had received and still they would not honor their appraisal, I ask, is this not false advertising?

How does a company justify a price increase of over sixty percent that only occurs around month end? I can understand the concept of supply and demand being an entrepreneur myself, but this obscene price increase based on a particular day would be regarded as inconsistent with a competitive free market. These are unjust and wrongful business practices in my opinion that can be considered a form of price gouging that I do believe is illegal in this country of ours. One cannot shy away from such wrongdoing! Do I dare to go on?

Regardless, I resorted to use the rental services of another competing rental facility that had no fluctuating pricing based on the monthly calendar and was actually priced less than Discount Car and Truck, I was very pleased at the end of the day; non owing to Discount Car and truck.

As an entrepreneur myself, I vow to follow fair commerce, I do not tolerate unfair business practices and therefore feel obligated to exercise my Canadian fundamental freedom right by expressing my concerns and bad experiences I had with Discount car and truck rentals relaying them through my managed websites, verbally and other forms of media that I use or come across.

Finally, I have to congratulate Discount car and Truck management for successfully managing to exasperate my day.

Regards,

Martin Ruszkowski
martin@martian.bc.ca
www.firstratecomputing.com

========================================

#2 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

[quote name='ariesdude']What does anyone else think about thier policies? I would like to rant about thier service as I was given a written quote that they decided not to honour about a week later because it was month end. In my opinion one would figure it would be good business practice to honour a quote? Do you not Think? :mad: Anyone else have a opinion on this?

This is the letter I ended up sending to them:

============================================

Management:

This is an official grievance that I have with the Discount Car and Truck Rental Facility located on 764 Roderick Street, Victoria, B.C that transpired on February 1st. 2009.

On February 1st, 2009, I required the use of a cargo van to transport some personal belongings on behalf of my ailed mother from Duncan to Victoria. I had opted to procure the services of Discount car and truck rental in Victoria as I was given a written quote approximately one week prior that I was very content with.

However, on February 1st when I decided to use the quoted price of $36.95 / day (100Km Included) and rent a cargo van I was absolutely flabbergasted and goaded when the staff at the Discount car and truck location on Roderick Street told me that my quote was no longer valid and would not be honored because it was month end and instead I would be charged an augmented price of $59.95 with no kilometers included.

Furthermore adding to my infuriation; I mentioned that their Company’s online pricing reflected the original quoted price I had received and still they would not honor their appraisal, I ask, is this not false advertising?

How does a company justify a price increase of over sixty percent that only occurs around month end? I can understand the concept of supply and demand being an entrepreneur myself, but this obscene price increase based on a particular day would be regarded as inconsistent with a competitive free market. These are unjust and wrongful business practices in my opinion that can be considered a form of price gouging that I do believe is illegal in this country of ours. One cannot shy away from such wrongdoing! Do I dare to go on?

It is basic contract law - if they give you a quote, it must be timed (ie valid for a certain period) and no company can either reject that, or modify, unless there are provisions within the contract.

No matter what the small print, all companies will require goodwill to survive the downturn (or not). It is far better to accept a written and valid price offer, than piss off a client (remember that Head and Shoulders Ad? - "if I tell 8 friends")

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:41 PM

Those rapscallions! Scallywags! Vexatious ne'er-do-wells! A pox on their establishment!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users