• 7,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

i didn't know that. how about these then
http://www.archdaily...egories/housing

#22 Chinook

Chinook
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:27 PM

Co-ops aren't exactly the same as social housing, but social housing is a decent reference point. There has been some talk with BC Housing about managing a redevelopment project, but they've botched Little Mountain so badly in Vancouver that I don't think the members would actually support that.

The amount of space we have right now is downright luxurious. Units range from 2 to 4 bedrooms with the majority being 3 bedrooms. That leads to a lot of people being overhoused for the sake of having them in the community: empty nesters in 2-bedrooms, couples with a baby in 3-bedrooms. But it's hard to convince people that they could live with less.

We also currently have really rich outdoor space with a lot of interesting small places. Playgrounds, sand boxes, garden plots, a fire pit, etc. Most of the higher density "community-oriented" housing developments I've looked at just have "hallways where people bump into each other" and throw in a big courtyard. I think that for spaces to get used they need to literally be on peoples' doorstep and with a lot of variety. You can't see those kind of spaces when you're just skimming through architectural briefs - what we really need is one or two model developments with reasonable costs that people can really pour over.

#23 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

i've always thought this was a cool project. never been there though of course. those wind catchers are a traditional element in northern africa & the middle east used for natural ventilation. they work like air scoops on a car, directing breezes down into the units. i assume they could be adjustable. the modular design would probably reduce building costs but despite that the 'squares' are jumbled together to create courtyards & other small spaces. i wonder if anything else could be adapted to vic west.
http://www.archdaily...chez-architects

there was a brouhaha not too long ago about a recent project in winnipeg that some people say hasn't worked the way it was intended. i'm not trying to take a side, just that people in that co-op might be interested
http://www.archdaily...-much-of-design
  • DavidSchell and Chinook like this

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

A big thanks to Chinook for providing details for this story.

Leaky condo syndrome may force redevelopment of Vic West housing co-op

http://victoria.citi...-housing-co-op/

Big changes could be on the horizon for one of Victoria's oldest housing co-operatives.

Built in the early 1980's, the 75-unit townhome-style Tyee Housing Co-op, nestled between the Dockside Green and Bayview Place developments, offers a mix of two, three and four bedroom homes for low-to-moderate income families. Since the early 2000's, however, the co-op's six buildings have been plagued by a problem synonymous with multi-family development from that era: leaky condo syndrome. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

I wish a leaky condo financing option like this had been available when I went through this situation in 2004-05. My only option was an additional $70,000 slapped on my mortgage. 

More density in this area makes complete sense. Built up, not out I always say.

#26 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:57 PM

it kind of sticks out in the citified shot, considering how the rest of the neighborhood is built up. it's too bad they're already thinking of redeveloping such a recent project. i wonder if there are any outcrops on that hill there that could be taken advantage of, like to create a courtyard space or something. that would be pretty cool.

considering that it's on a hill there this flw quote comes to mind

No house should ever be on a hill or on anything. It should be of the hill. Belonging to it. Hill and house should live together each the happier for the other.

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

...what we really need is one or two model developments with reasonable costs that people can really pour over.

No pun intended re: leaky condos?

#28 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

considering that an overwhelming proportion of buildings are used for housing for 'ordinary' people one wonders why we make such a fuss over concert halls or whatever designed by famous starchitects
https://www.jacobinm...gehry-urbanism/

#29 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

Any updates on this? The article suggested the AGM occurred in late April/early May.

#30 Chinook

Chinook
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

The decision was made at the AGM to hire a consultant to gather more information and come up with more accurate estimates to assist members in making the decision.

#31 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted on what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users