Municipal Property Taxes

• Please log in to reply
856 replies to this topic

#141 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

And I want them to think outside of the box on the fire Hall too.
  • Lou_76 likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

When your feedback is courtesy of people who feel they have a stake in Victoria but who don’t live with the City’s tax burden over their heads then things like the pool are a phenomenal investment. Bring it on!

But when you see your taxes rising every year, when you have a police force that takes 15 minutes to respond to a “shots fired” call (that happened last night) and a bridge project so mismanaged that we don’t even have a final price tag any more, your gut instinct as an adult is to call for a moratorium on new spending, a reigning in of costs and demand to see a financial plan for how we expect to pay for all that’s on the table.

We don’t even know what the final cost for the Elsner boondoggle will be, or whether the new bridge will even work, and our elected officials can’t wait to launch into the next “$60” million project the finances of which they refuse to reveal? It’s all so crazy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#143 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

Boring sad argument.  I expect you to abstain from every single thread that has nothing to do with the CoV.

• VicHockeyFan and LeoVictoria like this

#144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

Saanich’s affairs are so boring that there’s nothing to even comment on.

What should I insist you guys spend your money on? Sidewalks? A new version of spyware on Atwell’s desktop PCl? Whether or not you need a new fire truck? Luckily the EDPA was killed, but for a while I guess that was the most exciting civic issue?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

Oh, hold on. I recall how people living near the McKenzie interchange were upset that they have to endure construction noise so that “everyone else” could have a new interchange, and the community group nearly managed to derail the project by insisting on some lame version of an interchange that’d have done very little to ease congestion. So in that regard I suppose some Saanich residents did get a little sampling of what it means to take one for the team, something Victoria residents are very familiar with.
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.

#146 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

I believe Saanich continuously has higher tax increases than the CoV has been experiencing.

The second comment is not really accurate as you're blending 2 issues together (attempts to kill/nerf the project by Wickson et. al.,  and those in the area complaining about nighttime work).

#147 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

for the record, I'm a taxpayer in Oak Bay as well as Victoria

#148 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

Oh I’m sure they are, and we in Victoria have the pace of development to thank for the lower increases.

But 75% of it was approved by the previous council to the benefit of the existing council, I think.

Know it all.

#149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

Poked my head into the Grumpy Taxpayers AGM last night.

Gudgeon, Atwell and Karen Harper were all there.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#150 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:09 PM

Poked my head into the Grumpy Taxpayers AGM last night.

Gudgeon, Atwell and Karen Harper were all there.

Which one was the least grumpy.

#151 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

That’s exactly my point. Our roads are in bad shape in many areas, our sewage, storm and water pipes are disentefrating as we speak, but council continues to chase flagship projects.

Which btw also doesn’t affect you by being a Saanich taxpayer. Which just proves that some of the most ardent critics of the City’s critics don’t live in the City of Victoria but have a great deal to say about how taxpayers in the City of Victoria should think and what they should and shouldn’t support. My sense we have a lot more external pressures on Victoria’s policies than our elected officials want to let on.

I really don't think CoV roads are in that bad a shape and your sewer, storm and water pipes aren't in that bad a shape either.  Uplands for example was never built with storm piping so all the storm water goes into the sewer system which puts tremendous burden on Oak Bay's sewer system.  Name me one place in Victoria where the roads of an entire subdivision have to be torn up to install piping that never got installed in the first place.

CoV also has a huge tax base from the high rises, shopping centres, office buildings, etc that doesn't exist en mass elsewhere in the CRD plus huge parking revenues too

Quick numbers that basically illustrate above and mill rates aren't that much different:

Saanich property taxes $111 million (population 114,000)

CoV property taxes $124 million (population 86,000)

Now I could go further and see how much actually comes from residential property taxes, but reading those budgets from Saanich and CoV give me a headache...maybe some other time

Edited by tjv, 09 November 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#152 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

My point is I don't think Victoria residents are actually unhappy with Helps in general. We'll see at the next election but in general I see people are pretty happy with what is happening in Victoria. Huge new construction, focus on measures to help affordability, vibrant city, excellent national and international reputation, etc. The councillors can be a bit whacky but it seems they are getting things done, unlike say, Saanich.

I have spoken to many many people in this city about how the current mayor and council are doing and I can tell you it's a surefire way to elicit an eye roll, a head shake or an angry rant.

I should qualify this by pointing out that none of those people were high at the time, so that may be why they weren't able to appreciate the incredible vision our local government has and see all the great things they have achieved.

Edited by rmpeers, 09 November 2017 - 10:47 PM.

• rjag and GaryRanson like this

#153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:22 AM

It’s all cotton candy and roses down here in Victorialand.

• rjag, LJ, GaryRanson and 3 others like this

Know it all.

#154 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:42 PM

Here's your opportunity to have some input into the CoV budgeting process away from the din of the SJW crowd at the recent town hall meeting.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CGPKKLM

#155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

What's so troubling about this survey is it does not in any way require proof of residing in the City of Victoria. You can so easily sway the results by opening this up to every like-minded Ricky and Lucy throughout the 12 neighbouring municipalities.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#156 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

What's so troubling about this survey is it does not in any way require proof of residing in the City of Victoria...

To be fair, I can't imagine the results of the survey will have any significant impact on the actual budgeting process. It's just for optics; to show how the current regime likes to "engage" the public in the decision making process (unless said public opinion goes against the predetermined outcomes). In particular, I expect my responses to fall clearly in the outlier category.

• Mike K. likes this

#157 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

Here's your opportunity to have some input into the CoV budgeting process away from the din of the SJW crowd at the recent town hall meeting.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CGPKKLM

Yikes, 23% of the entire budget for the police department.  There is something wrong with that

• nagel likes this

#158 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

Don’t we have something crazy like 80 people earning over $100k per year, but Nanaimo (same size municipality) has a single digit count?

We have over 180 people earning over $75,000.

Not including police.

Ohhh...it's much more than that. And Nanaimo is actually worse than Victoria when it comes to those over $100,000, Mike. You'd be hard pressed to find any municipality in Canada with a population above 5,000-10,000 with a single digit count of $100,000+ employees.

City of Nanaimo:

262 employees over $75,000 in 2016 (including 88 over $100,000)

City of Victoria:

317 employees over $75,000 in 2016 (including 73 over $100,000)

Edited by shoeflack, 05 December 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#159 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:06 AM

Wow.

What a difference six years makes, then.

Back in 2011 there were six employees at the City of Nanaimo earning over $100,000 and 42 in Victoria.

So now we’ve jumped to 88 and 73, respectively? My gosh.

Here’s the link to the 2011 discussion: https://vibrantvicto...cipal-salaries/

The data came via the TC which has already removed the 2011 article from its website.

Know it all.

#160 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:13 AM

In 2007 Victoria had 14 employees earning over $100,000 per year.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users