Municipal Property Taxes

• Please log in to reply
871 replies to this topic

#161 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

Wow.

What a difference six years makes, then.

Back in 2011 there were six employees at the City of Nanaimo earning over $100,000 and 42 in Victoria.

So now we’ve jumped to 88 and 73, respectively? My gosh.

Here’s the link to the 2011 discussion: https://vibrantvicto...cipal-salaries/

The data came via the TC which has already removed the 2011 article from its website.

The post there identified the Regional District of Nanaimo (CRD equivalent) as having six $100,000+ staffers. The City of Nanaimo had 53 employees over $100,000 in 2011, to the City of Victoria's 57.

But yes, a steady rise no doubt.

Data from the Vancouver Sun public sector salary database because the pre-2012 Statements of Financial Information are no longer online at the City websites:

http://www.vancouver...s/advanced.html

Edited by shoeflack, 06 December 2017 - 08:44 AM.

#162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hold on, so the TC was comparing the Regional District to solely the City of Victoria?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#163 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

Hold on, so the TC was comparing the Regional District to solely the City of Victoria?

Unless the online version of the story had something different than the paper version, they didn't mention anything about the CoV. But it would not shock me if they added some content to the online article making a dumb comparison. This is the T-C we're talking about.

tc.jpg

#164 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:18 PM

What's so troubling about this survey is it does not in any way require proof of residing in the City of Victoria. You can so easily sway the results by opening this up to every like-minded Ricky and Lucy throughout the 12 neighbouring municipalities.

What's even more troubling is that all those people from neighbouring municipalities come into Victoria to frequent the businesses there. 

Someone should build a goddamn wall.   Where do they get off using up the roads in downtown Victoria when they don't even live there?

• jonny likes this

#165 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:39 PM

^good point I will make sure Central Saanich sets up a toll booth on the Pat Bay, all semi trucks and cars heading to the ferry will pay a toll!  I am sure Langford will set up a toll when heading up island or to Costco.  fair is fair right

when I go to the CoV I pay taxes, around $3/hr to park my car plus business taxes are built into the cost of goods and services I buy

• weisguy86 likes this

#166 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

What's even more troubling is that all those people from neighbouring municipalities come into Victoria to frequent the businesses there.
Someone should build a goddamn wall. Where do they get off using up the roads in downtown Victoria when they don't even live there?

Interesting.

So you feel the need to weigh in on surveys intended for the taxpayers of a certain municipality because you shop there from time to time? Do you weigh in on the financial affairs of your neighbour because you share a fence, or dictate to your coworkers how they should run their lives because you contribute to the coffee fund, lol?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#167 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

Interesting.

So you feel the need to weigh in on surveys intended for the taxpayers of a certain municipality because you shop there from time to time? Do you weigh in on the financial affairs of your neighbour because you share a fence, or dictate to your coworkers how they should run their lives because you contribute to the coffee fund, lol?

It's interesting you don't go on Adam Sterling's show and tell him he's ineligible to comment on CoV issues since he lives in Langford.

#168 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

Interesting.

So you feel the need to weigh in on surveys intended for the taxpayers of a certain municipality because you shop there from time to time? 

Yep.   Almost everyone in the GV area has an interest in the downtown region since it defines much of the area and most people work there.   

Your idea that only residents should have a voice is not reasonable when much of the daytime population of Victoria is non-residents.  

Luckily, Victoria realizes that a lot of people are stakeholders in what happens in the city and are interested in hearing from those stakeholders. 

Your approach is like saying that the hundreds of thousands of tourists that visit Victoria do not live there so therefore we should never give a flying crap about what they have to say about Victoria.   

Or perhaps we could extend the approach.   As you say, only Victoria taxpayers get to have a say in Victoria issues.   So let's limit voting to only owners in Victoria.   Landlords get multiple votes for each property they own.   

Edited by LeoVictoria, 06 December 2017 - 02:58 PM.

#169 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

It's interesting you don't go on Adam Sterling's show and tell him he's ineligible to comment on CoV issues since he lives in Langford.

I’ll be sure to ask him on your behalf if he fills out surveys aimed at Victoria residents and taxpayers.

Know it all.

#170 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

Yep. Almost everyone in the GV area has an interest in the downtown region since it defines much of the area and most people work there.
Your idea that only residents should have a voice is not reasonable when much of the daytime population of Victoria is non-residents.
Luckily, Victoria realizes that a lot of people are stakeholders in what happens in the city and are interested in hearing from those stakeholders.

Your approach is like saying that the hundreds of thousands of tourists that visit Victoria do not live there so therefore we should never give a flying crap about what they have to say about Victoria.

Or perhaps we could extend the approach. As you say, only Victoria taxpayers get to have a say in Victoria issues. So let's limit voting to only owners in Victoria. Landlords get multiple votes for each property they own.

So why not write your elected officials to tell them you want to amalgamate with victoria since you idenfity with that municipality so much, and believe that most Saanich residents do as well? I think that would be far more productive than pretending to be a taxpayer in a neighbouring municipality.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#171 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:23 PM

So why not write your elected officials to tell them you want to amalgamate with victoria since you idenfity with that municipality so much, and believe that most Saanich residents do as well? I think that would be far more productive than pretending to be a taxpayer in a neighbouring municipality.

You mean like 70% of voters did during the last election?!

• jonny and Lou_76 like this

#172 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

The Victoria Police Department (VicPD) was established in 1858 and is the oldest Police department west of the Great Lakes. VicPD police officers, civilian staff and volunteers proudly serve the public trust through engagement, prevention and enforcement. Through community mobilization, intelligence-led policing, communication and being their best, the men and women of VicPD work hard every day to foster healthy communities through partnerships, accountability and service excellence.

I cannot believe such a "progressive" city has so blatantly excluded trans non-binary otherkin. 

• LJ likes this

#173 Lou_76

Lou_76
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:23 PM

Gudgeon is Pres. of Amalgamation YES and is complaining about elected officials doing nothing on amalgamation...yet when she was on Council all she did was lower speed limits. She didn't get anything else accomplished and certainly no regionalization of services. We need some new blood in all these discussions! 

You mean like 70% of voters did during the last election?!

#174 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:33 AM

Pretend to be a taxpayer? Huh?

#175 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

Pretend to be a taxpayer? Huh?

He doesn’t like residents of other muni’s sharing their opinions that don’t conform to his and thinks they should be excluded from consultation.
  • Matt R. likes this

#176 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:06 PM

To be for amalgamation but against Saanich/Esquimalt/Oak Bay/Westshore residents commenting on City of Victoria matters is a very odd stance, to me. Seems very contradictory.

#177 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

To be for amalgamation but against Saanich/Esquimalt/Oak Bay/Westshore residents commenting on City of Victoria matters is a very odd stance, to me...

Once we're amalgamated residents of those areas are free to comment on CoV matters as much as they like.

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

I’m also 100% for world peace but until that happens I’m thankful for our Forces, lol.

It’s absolutely bonkers to me that I even have to justify why I as a City of Victoria taxpayer don’t particularly like Saanich residents telling my council how they should spent my tax dollars.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#179 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

I’m also 100% for world peace but until that happens I’m thankful for our Forces, lol.

It’s absolutely bonkers to me that I even have to justify why I as a City of Victoria taxpayer don’t particularly like Saanich residents telling my council how they should spent my tax dollars.

J’ai deux chapeaus.
  • Matt R. likes this

#180 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

J’ai deux chapeaus.

The plural of chapeau is "chapeaux".

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users