Victoria (Capital Region) Property Tax Assessments

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

You can not sell you land without the house or vice versa.

Couldn't you sell the property, but also sign a 99-year lease-back?

#42 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

There goes my retirement plan to sell the land out from underneath my condo.

Ahh, there the values get even crazier, the land values are completely arbitrary and have no connection to a real number. I have seen condos in remediation that had land and improvement values that were BIZARRE.

#43 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

I sent you a direct message with some questions. On the surface it sounds like they have made an error.

Well, talk about bad timing. I filed a "complaint" because they valued my house at $455,000. They sent me a letter saying that they had received it and it would be going to the review panel.

As this was going on, the house across the street, which is almost identical to mine, went on the market for $469,900......and sold! Really fast. Don't know what they got for it as the MLS listing is gone.

Oh well. Doesn't really matter I guess. Taxes are a right off. And, unlike Kramer, I know what a write off is.

#44 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:27 AM

Well, talk about bad timing. I filed a "complaint" because they valued my house at $455,000. They sent me a letter saying that they had received it and it would be going to the review panel.

As this was going on, the house across the street, which is almost identical to mine, went on the market for $469,900......and sold! Really fast. Don't know what they got for it as the MLS listing is gone.

Oh well. Doesn't really matter I guess. Taxes are a right off. And, unlike Kramer, I know what a write off is.

Sales in January will not be considered in the process, so that sale will not be in the mix.

They should be contacting you by phone to talk about values and to confirm what they know about the house and the general state and condition. They should be giving some details on comparable houses to justify the value that they have.

#45 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:55 PM

So, after filing my complaint, I got the value reduced from $455,000 to $430,000. My grade three edification says that is a reduction of about 5%. That means the property is still up 10% which is above the norm of 4%. Last year I paid about $2000.00 in property tax, so I'm guessing, knock off 5% that is about a hundred bucks.

Not exactly like winning the lottery, but enough money for a carton of smokes.

Or a tank of gas.

Or 3 large bottles of whiskey.

Hmmmm. So many choices.

#46 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

Well if it makes you feel any better, average house price in Vancouver hit a million dollars :o

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#47 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

If anyone wants some help with their assessment I am once again happy to help, I have many years experience sitting on property assessment review panels.

#48 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'm still wondering why the identical suites above and below me are valued at several thousand dollars less than mine.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#49 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:46 PM

If anyone wants some help with their assessment I am once again happy to help, I have many years experience sitting on property assessment review panels.

Bernard - I may just take you up on that. I have a complicated situation re: a mixed use (commercial/residential) that has been consistently mis-valued, despite appeals to PARP. I'll flip you a pm, if that's alright.

#50 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

I'm still wondering why the identical suites above and below me are valued at several thousand dollars less than mine.

The building permit that you took out probably had something to do with it.

#51 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

That should not be happening, the stack should naturally rise in price as the floors go upwards, a rough rule of thumb is 5% per floor, but that is very rough.

Has your unit been significantly upgraded?

I would call BC Assessment and ask, or just file an appeal and they will call you to try and settle. All things equal, your price should be half way between the unit below you and the one above you.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Bernard, maybe you could answer me a quick question. How is the information gathered by the municipality when there is an upgrade of a home? I just recently added an addition to my house and finished my basement, adding a couple more bedrooms, office and a bathroom.

BC Assessment has a panel of staffers that just read boards like this, then when they see a post such as yours, scan back through your previous posts to determine who you are and where you live. Then they just tack on 20%. ;)
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

My land went up 8% and my house by 21%.

I thought houses were depreciating assets? :confused:

#54 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bernard
It could make a difference to your assessment. Are you in a building that has multiple floors with each floor having roughly the same floorplan? If so, you should look to the other units in your 'stack' to see what they have been assessed at.

A room is defined to be a bedroom if it has a built in closet. Is your number of rooms accurate and is the total floorspace accurate?

No other info is provided, no sq. ft., no total number of rooms nothing. Only notes the number of bedrooms.

I checked with others and sure enough our floorplan has been pegged as two bedroom, the third bedroom is a full on bedroom, no mistaking it for a walk in closet.

I think what has happened is the entire complex has been estimated to be two bedrooms - not the case at all. The two bedroom units are all on one floor, the three bedroom units are on two floors and have a large, fenced in back patio area.

#55 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:59 AM

My land went up 8% and my house by 21%.

I thought houses were depreciating assets? :confused:

What matters is the total value, the land and building values are notional numbers and I am not sure why they bother having them separated out at all

#56 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

BC Assessment has a panel of staffers that just read boards like this, then when they see a post such as yours, scan back through your previous posts to determine who you are and where you live. Then they just tack on 20%. ;)

That makes sense, my kitchen wasn't cheap :o

Bernard, your theory holds true about price rise as the dloors rise, except for my "stack" where mine in the middle is the higher of the three. Oh well, doesn't bother me much.

But why would the prices be lower for first floor suites than middle floor?

#57 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

That makes sense, my kitchen wasn't cheap :o

Bernard, your theory holds true about price rise as the dloors rise, except for my "stack" where mine in the middle is the higher of the three. Oh well, doesn't bother me much.

But why would the prices be lower for first floor suites than middle floor?

As you rise in a building there are views that come into play. Ground floors are always lower priced because people can be outside your door. Top floor is always higher because there is no one above you to cause noise.

You really should not be higher priced than the unit above you unless it has never been renovated and is being used as a rental. BC Assessment assumes that rentals will receive less regular maintenance than owner occupied units. This is based on their analysis of sales data, they have an amazing database of data to mine on real estate values

#58 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

FYI - BCA's eValue webtool (the one that allows you to compare property values until January 31st) is currently down with technical issues. I recall yesterday morning trying to pull comparables during my coffee break at the office, and it kept looping back to the consent screen and to previous properties that I put in. I assumed it was the privacy settings on my workstation PC, but when I got home, a notification screen had replaced the login screen. Very frustrating, as I think I have one to appeal and I want to check neighbouring valuations and recent sales!

#59 loopyca

loopyca

NomNom

• 15 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

We are seriously considering appealing because both of our neighbours (on either side of us, on a cul de sac) are about $150-200 000 less than ours. While ours was built in 2008, theirs in late 1990s, they both have been gutted and are on-par with our finishings, size, etc.

Do we have a case or ...? Will give you any and all info I can.

#60 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

We are seriously considering appealing because both of our neighbours (on either side of us, on a cul de sac) are about $150-200 000 less than ours. While ours was built in 2008, theirs in late 1990s, they both have been gutted and are on-par with our finishings, size, etc.

Do we have a case or ...? Will give you any and all info I can.

Drop me a direct line at bernard@shama.ca or call me at 250-298-7501. I would suggest you file an appeal as it costs nothing to do and you drop it at any time at no cost.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users