Photo

CTV - local, BC and national TV

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#181 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 05:34 AM

Obviously. My comment was (mostly) intended as facetious, borne out of years of frustration with the so-called Big 3 in this country, and the nanny-state CRTC apparatus which, while it theoretically oversees them to regulate and supervise broadcasting and telecommunications <cough> "in the public interest", more often than not does little more than to tacitly shield them. 

Besides Verizon among others has stated more than once they have no interest in this market, which is lilliputian by their standards. Compared to the dollars involved in other more important markets such as their $130 billion USD stake in Vodafone a few years ago why would any of them consider Canada which is a guppy and would be more trouble than any potential profits are worth, and especially since Bell/Rogers/Telus between them have 95% of the market?

Not clear why you focused on the "mobility pricing" piece. As far as I am aware, beyond the lousy optics of the timing of the Bell layoffs, they will presumably have zero impact on mobility pricing: I assume you are aware the Canadian telecom/carriers do provide other services, correct?

However since you brought it up they will have a massive impact on the radio properties @ Bell, especially the layoffs at CJAD, which is one of the flagship stations in Canada.

Not that I imagine Bell - recipient of all things of $122 million in federal wage subsidies in spite of having well over five billion dollars available liquidity, share dividends up 5% year over year and boosting said dividend payouts to shareholders, and all of that despite Covid - sees much if anything beyond operating profit margins. As with Telus and Rogers, both of whom we have been subscribers to in the past, I'm fairly certain the "customer" is a long way from the top of their priority list.

Note: just to be fair and to show I'm not picking only on Bell, in addition to them bellying up to the public trough for handouts in the amount noted above at least $82 million was scooped up by Rogers and another $38.5 million by Telus. Bell’s $122 million was nevertheless more than any other company in any marketplace sector, even topping Imperial Oil’s $120 million.

The reference to mobility pricing was regarding nparker's note, likely also facetiously, suggesting his mobility bill to go down as a result of these layoffs.

It's clear that traditional media in Canada is struggling, the layoffs in that division likely an attempt to stem losses or return an acceptable investment from their radio assets. Certainly as you point out nothing to do with mobility pricing.

I have no problem with Bell or any other company receiving wage subsidies - if they qualify. No reason they shouldn't have the same resources as other companies just because they are bigger or are better managed and therefore have money in the bank.

#182 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 12:10 PM

Note: just to be fair and to show I'm not picking only on Bell, in addition to them bellying up to the public trough for handouts in the amount noted above at least $82 million was scooped up by Rogers and another $38.5 million by Telus. Bell’s $122 million was nevertheless more than any other company in any marketplace sector, even topping Imperial Oil’s $120 million.

Looks like Air Canada took a cool $400m.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 03 February 2021 - 12:10 PM.

#183 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 01:24 PM

Alanna Kelly @CTVNewsAlanna

"You never think it’ll happen to you, but this morning it did. I’m gutted to be a part of this corporate restructuring after pouring myself into my work 24/7. My time with Bell was short, but I’m proud of my stories and the people they represented.

As for the the weekend coverage, I’m sorry to see the newscast cancelled. It was a point of pride for me, and hopefully that was reflected to our viewers. Thanks for watching."

#184 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 01:29 PM

so victoria loses its weekend ctv newscast?

#185 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 February 2021 - 02:35 PM

Looks like Air Canada took a cool $400m.

Matt.

That's a business where it makes sense to me. Bell? Nah.

• Matt R. likes this

#186 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

so victoria loses its weekend ctv newscast?

It's still on the listings for this weekend, but that doesn't mean it's not being cut.

Having said that - will it be missed?

I don't bother with CHEK News on the weekend because what little local content that they do have is often shown again on Monday. I doubt CTV was much different.

#187 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:58 PM

I don't bother with CHEK News on the weekend because what little local content that they do have is often shown again on Monday.

That's the problem with mainstream news. It's either too late or too early.

#188 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 05:27 PM

That's a business where it makes sense to me. Bell? Nah.

Why? AC had net profits of about 1.6b the previous two years. Nothing left for a rainy day?

Matt.

#189 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 07:47 AM

Anchor gone, along with weekend newscast for CTV News Vancouver Island, amid Bell cuts

https://www.timescol...cuts-1.24277217

#190 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:36 AM

Anchor gone, along with weekend newscast for CTV News Vancouver Island, amid Bell cuts

https://www.timescol...cuts-1.24277217

Yup, unless you work in their online/streaming division, radio/TV positions are a precarious place to be these days.I know one of their senior sales people in Vancouver who is the regional sales director for their Outdoor/Sign division who is still there.

In this brave new world of online streaming and the push to move content onto the web I've often wondered just how effective "Outdoor" remains. I know when I commuted via car both here and in YVR, and even Calgary when I commuted there several times annually over a five year period, I was always far too focused on traffic and getting to my destination in one peice to bother looking at outdoor signage never mind have it register with my brain. Once upon a time I considered radio/TV as a career, so glad I did not go down that path.

#191 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:39 AM

Why? AC had net profits of about 1.6b the previous two years. Nothing left for a rainy day?

Matt.

Historical revenue/profits aside, wage subsidy should be based on how they are affected by the pandemic, no? Air Canada clearly will lose most of their revenue due to it. Bell probably increased their revenue, rather than lost some.

• Matt R. likes this

#192 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:52 AM

In this brave new world of online streaming and the push to move content onto the web I've often wondered just how effective "Outdoor" remains. I know when I commuted via car both here and in YVR, and even Calgary when I commuted there several times annually over a five year period, I was always far too focused on traffic and getting to my destination in one peice to bother looking at outdoor signage never mind have it register with my brain. Once upon a time I considered radio/TV as a career, so glad I did not go down that path.

good question.  

lots of it is unsold.  that ls why you see lots of radio station ads on buses and billboards.  same company.  you will see that especially in big cities like calagry.

but even here you see tuna ads on bus shelters.  jim pattison owns the tuna plant.  and the bus shelter ad.

if you want to be a billionaire in this country either you inherit it (rogers, eatons) or you start car dealerships, billboard companies plus radio and TV then expand into tuna and believe-it-or-not companies.  it's a well-worn path to success.   :rtfm:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 February 2021 - 08:58 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:57 AM

And his radio stations, the grocery store chain, and the auto dealerships. Other than realtors, quite often the businesses advertising on Pattison Outdoor are Pattison-owned.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#194 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:59 AM

oh yes i forgot about grocery whoops.  yes lots of bus shelter ads are for save-on.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 February 2021 - 08:59 AM.

#195 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 07:49 PM

Historical revenue/profits aside, wage subsidy should be based on how they are affected by the pandemic, no? Air Canada clearly will lose most of their revenue due to it. Bell probably increased their revenue, rather than lost some.

Yeah, for sure. The context was that Bell got the most CEWS of anyone which wasn’t true.

Bell wouldn’t get any CEWS without showing a decline in YOY revenue, so that’s not it.

Matt.

#196 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 07:52 PM

And his radio stations, the grocery store chain, and the auto dealerships. Other than realtors, quite often the businesses advertising on Pattison Outdoor are Pattison-owned.

Pattison owns most of the halibut, salmon and herring quota here as well, 70-80%.

Matt.

#197 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:21 PM

Yup. Indeed he does. I know a few guys who sold their licenses to Pattison.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#198 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, for sure. The context was that Bell got the most CEWS of anyone which wasn’t true.

Bell wouldn’t get any CEWS without showing a decline in YOY revenue, so that’s not it.

Matt.

Not quite; their argument wasn't that BCE - the parent company, lost money - it was that the media division (Bell Media) lost money.

In fact more than one Canadian Telco justified getting CEWS by pointing to revenue declines specifically in those media divisions. Companies BTW qualified for the subsidy by showing at least a 30-per-cent year-over-year revenue drop. A clause in the application, however, states that the “employer is under no obligation to prove that the decline in revenue is related to the Covid-19 crisis.”

And it isn't just Bell or the Telcos: a National Post investigation before Christmas revealed that at least 68 publicly traded companies had received CEWS while also paying out shareholder dividends, but you'll note the amounts received by Telcos on the list were not disclosed until an independent news outfit called downUP uncovered them later.

https://financialpos...ends-flowed-out

#199 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:28 PM

I’m guessing Bell Media is a separate Corp? If so then no big deal. I’m guessing they didn’t willingly commit fraud to the tune of $122m. The rest of what you typed is irrelevant.

Matt.

#200 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 07:35 AM

tsn.jpg

Dan O’Toole, Natasha Staniszewski and Brent Wallace let go by TSN as part of Bell Media layoffs

https://www.kelownan..._Media_layoffs/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users