CTV - local, BC and national TV

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#201 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:12 AM

After cutting the cord 6 years ago, I haven't the remotest idea who any of these now laid off media people are ... which I presume is somewhat indicative of the cable TV problem overall.

#202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:14 AM

Same. No cable for me since 2017.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#203 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 02:55 PM

Wow...TSN1040 killed this morning right in the middle of the broadcast, which then flipped to running some schlock from ESPN.

What a gut punch to Vancouver/BC sports fans. Some big names here, including Don Taylor, Rick Dhaliwal and Mike Halford. Bell getting an earful today on social media - 

https://theprovince....inues-with-cuts

https://www.pugetsou...nues-with-cuts/

Edited by AllseeingEye, 09 February 2021 - 02:56 PM.

#204 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 07:22 AM

Was PM'ing back and forth with one of my Vancouver media folks last night - in addition to the brutal way in which Bell abruptly killed TSN1040, and the ignominious way some of the staff found out they'd been canned (via social media - not even advised by Bell HR) and was subsequently treated, just for good measure the classless p****s at Bell played Green Day's song "Good Riddance" as the station flipped from the sports format.

What a swell bunch of people those folks at Bell are. Was interesting to watch Global News last night and this morning and hear some of the not so thinly veiled swipes their on-air news and sports staff have taken at Bell. 

#205 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 07:24 AM

to be fair. “Good Riddance” is a song often played at station format changes.

Still a bad idea. But probably not done with malice.

It’s also a massive graduation/prom song. And not meant as mean spirited there either. It’s uplifting.

#206 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 08:14 AM

Wikipedia entry:

This song has also been used on radio stations as a last song before changing formats. The most recent use of this song as a last song was on CKST in Vancouver, BC, when due to cutbacks parent company Bell Media dropped the entirety of Team 1040 and its on air personalities mid-show without notice for a new, yet to be announced format.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#207 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:20 AM

to be fair. “Good Riddance” is a song often played at station format changes.

Still a bad idea. But probably not done with malice.

It’s also a massive graduation/prom song. And not meant as mean spirited there either. It’s uplifting.

Definitely was not taken in that spirit by the YVR media community. The song itself may well be intended as uplifting but given the circumstances it was in poor taste IMO. You already feel like s*** after losing your job - 20 years tenure in some cases at 1040 - with no hint of a termination beforehand and at that not because of anything you have done or not done, you find out about it on social media, and are told in no uncertain terms to get your stuff off the premises in 30 minutes or less. Not surprisingly Bell is getting bad-mouthed pretty good by the ex-on air jock and DJ community over there on social media.

#208 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:23 AM

I am afraid tv and radio is a bit like Hollywood. there are 50 young starlets ready to take your job at 1/4 the salary at any time.

(This way to the casting couch)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 February 2021 - 09:24 AM.

#209 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:37 AM

Definitely was not taken in that spirit by the YVR media community. The song itself may well be intended as uplifting but given the circumstances it was in poor taste IMO. You already feel like s*** after losing your job - 20 years tenure in some cases at 1040 - with no hint of a termination beforehand and at that not because of anything you have done or not done, you find out about it on social media, and are told in no uncertain terms to get your stuff off the premises in 30 minutes or less. Not surprisingly Bell is getting bad-mouthed pretty good by the ex-on air jock and DJ community over there on social media.

There are very few companies in any industry that will provide advance warning that your employment is being terminated. Sure, it happens when a plant is being shut down or something like that. But otherwise, you run the risk of employees sabotaging, leaving earlier, etc. I am sure that anyone being laid off will be paid severance in lieu of working notice. 

• Matt R. likes this

#210 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:46 AM

I am afraid tv and radio is a bit like Hollywood. there are 50 young starlets ready to take your job at 1/4 the salary at any time.

(This way to the casting couch)

No question the on-air media biz model is changing radically mainly due to advances in technology; that and media consolidation and corporate concentration. Once upon a time BC radio and TV stations were locally owned. Ownership had a vested interest and were connected to and "dug in" to the communities in which they operated and served. That started going away in the 80's and has only accelerated since. Almost all decisions these days are made on Bay Street which naturally only looks at the bottom line.

Talk to any local/BC on-air person who is retired and they'll tell you they're thankful their time is up because the landscape ain't like the old days. Back then you could have a nice career working at one or maybe two media outlets; look at the bio of any radio personality over the last 30 years and some have worked at as many as a dozen or more stations or markets, and not by choice necessarily. 

#211 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:50 AM

Bell also announced that they'll be moving to a "funny format" instead, because apparently there's an unmet demand for stand-up comedy on the radio

#212 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:01 AM

Bell also announced that they'll be moving to a "funny format" instead, because apparently there's an unmet demand for stand-up comedy on the radio

Yup copying the format already used in Hamilton and Calgary; AM1060 in Calgary is currently in the tank as far as ratings go after that changeover. I mean its Calgary - previously 1060 was a popular classic country station after all. "Funny" format my butt. But the consensus is - and this the all-important caveat for Toronto - is that the overhead costs will be low, and certainly lower than the previous "sports" format featuring two highly-paid hosts.

#213 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:04 AM

to be fair team/tsn lost lots of mojo when rogers outbid them for hockey on very long contracts.   are you supposed to listen to all the pre-game hype on one bell station then flip over to rogers for the play by play?  then back?  that's hard.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 February 2021 - 10:05 AM.

#214 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:55 PM

Sara Reid is leaving CTV Victoria for Calgary.

I am going to miss her.

#215 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:43 PM

Sara Reid is leaving CTV Victoria for Calgary.

I am going to miss her.

Feels like she just got here. CTV website says 2 years ago, but then again I started watching CHEK for news when Joe Perkins moved over there.

#216 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 10:59 AM

Lisa LaFlamme 'blindsided' by cancellation of contract with CTV

https://www.cbc.ca/n...hided-1.6551628

LaFlamme announced the change in a Twitter video posted on Monday. In that video, LaFlamme said she was "shocked and saddened," by the decision, which she learned of on June 29. 

"At 58, I still thought I had a lot more time to tell more of the stories that impact our daily lives," LaFlamme said in the video. "Instead I leave CTV humbled by the people who put their faith in me to tell their story."

"While it is crushing to be leaving CTV National News in a manner that is not my choice, please know reporting to you has truly been the greatest honour of my life, and I thank you for always being there," she said. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 August 2022 - 11:00 AM.

#217 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 11:02 AM

Ageism, sexism or not towing the party line? Perhaps a combination of all three.

#218 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 11:03 AM

Ageism, sexism or not towing the party line? Perhaps a combination of all three.

Can't it just be that someone better and/or cheaper can do the job as well or better?

#219 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 11:06 AM

Doubtful. I think many people tune into the news to see a familiar face.

#220 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 03:38 PM

Lisa LaFlamme was hard to watch the past couple years. You could tell she was biased by the comments she made after each news story played. Her job is to deliver the news, not give us her personal opinion.

Edited by UDeMan, 15 August 2022 - 03:39 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users