BUILT
Era
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 726-746 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Condo units: (loft, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The 15-storey Era condo and ground floor commercial tower is located in the 700-block of Yates Street. The pro... (view full profile)
Learn more about Era on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Era | Condos | 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2015

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1299 replies to this topic

#61 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

What's an ugly thing that's gone up lately? Ross Place?

I think "simple" is precisely what we should be worried about.

#62 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

Simple can be elegant.

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

I would argue that the Rohani building demonstrates a quite simple elegance and to a lesser extent so does the CIBC building. The latter is quite a good example of late mid-20th century Brutalism. Admitedly not a style to everyone's taste, but this building is an honest interpretation of this movement. Not every building needs some sort of Victoriana reference to be beautiful.

#64 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

We've had some nice office buildings go up in other parts of town so I'm hoping we'll get some nice ones downtown, too. Radius would have been great.

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

And despite its horizontality, The Atrium is a pretty decent design. Gateway Green may prove to be nice as well if it ever gets built.

#66 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

I agree about both the Rohani and the Atrium.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:11 PM

[edit]

Poppies flower shop, which occupies one of the storefronts that falls under this proposal, just opened up a downsized store in the St. Andrew's Square public walkway, where a prior flower shop recently closed down (not sure if the business moved off-site).

And the alligator pond has begun to fill after all the rain we've had ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:36 PM

My mistake about Poppies. They are still there, but the business just east of their space isn't there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

Public hearing set for downtown office tower
By VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=1792

A public hearing has been set for a proposed 12,303 square meter, 12-storey (47.1 meters) office building at 726 Yates Street.

The property had been previously rezoned for a 12-storey mixed-use residential, office and retail development dubbed "Mozart Building" by Victoria developer Eric Charman. The project never materialized and the lot at 726 Yates was sold to Vancouver-based Concert Properties. [...]

Know it all.

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

The public hearing for this project was last night. Does anyone have an update on the status of the hearing?

Know it all.

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

The public hearing for this project was last night. Does anyone have an update on the status of the hearing?

I know a business tenant in the basement of the building right across the alley, he went, and spoke, I'll ask him and post back here.

#72 DragonImpact

DragonImpact
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

I know a business tenant in the basement of the building right across the alley, he went, and spoke, I'll ask him and post back here.

Yes, I attended the meeting. The application for rezoning went through without complication. One concern they will be looking further into is the underground parking and traffic it will create. Otherwise the building looks great, including their incorporation of the Heritage frontage and will also be adding design to the front walkway.

My reason for attendance was concern over the permanent seating when they widen the alleyway which would be double it's current size. I am concerned about it becoming a night time party area or see the return of drug use and discarded needles from installing these "theatre styled" chairs.

The new Millie's Lane will have see-thru visibility from Yates to Johnson and the alleyway would now feature trees and storefronts facing into the alleyway on both sides.

Overall having a "Class A" building on Yates Street with street level retail will be good for the area.

Just don't keep your fingers crossed for construction to begin anytime soon. Last year I was initially informed ground breaking would commence last December, and last November when I communicated with the Vancouver architects they stated things may begin in the summer. But, at last night's meeting when asked for a date when the development may begin, the answer was "market dictates construction". Essentially meaning that due to materials required for the project are steadily increasing in cost and that there currently is a lowering demand for Class A Office space that we will most likely be waiting until the economy improves.

Alex

#73 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the info, Dragon!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#74 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the update Dragon! Nice to see you on the forum. Did you know that VibrantVictoria is headquartered in your building?!?!!

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

The "lake" has been drained. A pump has been operating on-site since Monday.

Know it all.

#76 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:13 PM

Don't these people understand the importance of wetland habitat??? I think migratory birds were just about ready to accept this local as a permanent wintering location.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#77 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:06 AM

And in comes the heavy machinery. Pic from this morning (about 5 minutes ago!).

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:58 AM

Site-prep for upcoming downtown office tower begins
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=2926

Environmental testing and general clean-up at the site of a proposed downtown office tower have begun.

Last week crews began pumping out a pool of water that had collected in the middle of the property, and this morning an excavator and a soil drilling machine arrived on-site.

“We’re in the process of applying for a development permit and the crews on-site today are doing clean-up and environmental testing,” said Jennifer Mitchell of Concert Properties. [...]

Know it all.

#79 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

I sure hope the "City" does not send it back ...

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

The project has been approved. The development permit application is in the works.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1), Bing (1)