Where to go for breakfast in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

Demitass and Mole are good.

Demitasse on Blanshard and Johnson seems to have taken a turn for the worse, if that is the location you mean. The new owners don't seem to be very good at cooking in my opinion.

#22 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

The boys who own Broad St. Kitchen used to own Demi on Blanshard as well, but sold it to concentrate on their wholesale and catering business.

Matt.

#23 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

Kitty's at the old Tally Ho on Douglas; lots of food and very reasonable prices considering the amount of food you get.

The ambiance, not to mention some of the waitresses, date from the early 1970's but who cares about the decor.....

#24 fire stopper

fire stopper
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

The Blue Fox on Fort Street has great food well worth the wait to get in

#25 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

^ Personally, I've never had a good breakfast at Blue Fox, and have no idea why people line up. Last breakfast was eggs benedict just drowned in hollandaise sauce and a thin over-coocked omelette. I don't know how they are still in business compared to many other local places.

We like going to Heron Rock and Shine if we feel like a walk.

#26 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

try Floyd's at the corner of Quadra and Yates, huge breakfasts and reasonably priced

i used to go to John's Place, but i haven't been there in years for breakfast.

#27 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

The kitchen.

Seriously, Floyd's is good.
In chains by Keynes

#28 Breezy

Breezy
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:16 AM

Ive always enjoyed a good breaky at "billys" i think its called now.. Formerly valentinos.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

I dropped in on Shine in Stadacona Center (Oak Bay Junction) and the food has much improved. I have yet to visit the downtown location.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

I fluked into the Blue Fox with a minimal lineup once a few years ago and seem to recall enjoying it.. but I cant stand waiting out on Fort first thing on a sunday morning for 40 mins to get in.. so Ive never been back..

Floyds is always packed .. and while I have no complaints about the food at all.. I got tired of the all the tables around me being filled with hungover fratboys going on and on and on about last night and how hungover they are

Shine at oak bay junction is awesome. Ive never had a complaint.. Once a year or two ago I had a question about what I figured was a sub-par quality of smoked salmon on their benny and the waitress agreed and said they were already moving to another style .. and next time, they had.. Coffee while you wait outside or in the door for a table for a little bit.. nice staff.. love it.

Two other places .. both of which Ive never had a wait for.. I think its called Camelot? I havent been there in a couple years, but Fort St just below Cook, right hand side of street.. tiny joint, good food and a couple little tables on the sidewalk for a warm summer morning..

and definately a tradesmans joint.. no frills, no atmosphere (other than that which a greasy spoon makes itself..) just good simple fast breakfast any day of the week is I think its called the Butter dell .. in the parking lot of the Blue Roof Inn on Douglas across from Mayfair Mall.. As I say, not the place you take a woman you're trying to impress.. its where you take your buddies when you're using them for slave labour landscaping your yard.

cakes..

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

Nice, thanks, Cakes!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

I think its called Camelot? I havent been there in a couple years, but Fort St just below Cook, right hand side of street.. tiny joint, good food and a couple little tables on the sidewalk for a warm summer morning..

I believe you are referring to Avalon. Formerly strictly a breakfast/lunch place, I have noticed that they have been opening in the evenings on some nights. That would be worth checking out as their daytime fare is quite good.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#33 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

Avalon is great!

#34 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

Yes, Avalon is great all around, has been for many years. Of course, the Dutch Bakery does a great all day breakfast, and you can't beat the atmosphere.

The blue collar place on Douglas is called the Butter Dell, and is really solid, but don't expect eggs benny. Same with the Marble Arch on Tillicum - cheap and cheerful, no BS and no eggs benny. :)

Broad St. Kitchen (former Rising Star) is worth it just for the breakfast sammie and side of fresh fruit. Way underpriced, great coffee.

Lots of great breakfast places around. I can't imagine waiting in line for more than a few minutes, there's just too many options.

Matt.

#35 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

I believe you are referring to Avalon. Formerly strictly a breakfast/lunch place, I have noticed that they have been opening in the evenings on some nights. That would be worth checking out as their daytime fare is quite good.

That I was.. hah, thanks.. all I had stuck in my head was 'King Arthur' and had to go from there..

cakes..

#36 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:30 PM

Floyds is always packed .. and while I have no complaints about the food at all.. I got tired of the all the tables around me being filled with hungover fratboys going on and on and on about last night and how hungover they are

Wow, you must have been bored when you were there to be so concerned with the other patrons. I've eaten at Floyd's numerous times and never noticed that kind of thing, although I remember one time going there being the hungover guy. :( Don't you go with anyone? If not, don't you read, do puzzles or have a handheld device to play with while you're waiting for your food? There are so many things one can do to pass the time these days I can't even imagine complaining about the conversation of the other diners. :confused:
In chains by Keynes

#37 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

Phil,

While your obviously heartfelt concern for my well-being is appreciated, it would appear we have slightly different tastes.

You might start by looking up definitions for 'atmosphere' .. specifically where it relates to service businesses.

You may also want to look around when you're out and about and discover that many self absorbed late teens - early twenty somethings arent known for having the best control of their volume.. so even when they're a whole 5 feet away from your own group, they can still impact upon your experience.

Dont worry .. if you still want to go to Floyds for breakfast and you enjoy it, I promise not to stop you.

thanks,

cakes..

#38 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

I recently went to Shine at the Stadacona centre and had what is probably the worst omelet I had in my life. I could tell from the way it came to me the restaurant has no idea what a good omelet looks like, they were clearly using a pan much, much too small.

#39 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

^Bad as in "not the way I like it" or bad as in incompetently cooked?

Floyd's is not the place for quiet, intimate contemplation. Try Avalon instead or one of the smaller venues. Floyd's reminds me of the common room at a big youth hostel. I would not recommend Pagliacci's for quiet dining either.

#40 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

Bad as in not cooked like what an omelet is supposed to be. Think a sort of folded fritata without any crusty outer bit, though with enough fillings to make it a breakfast burrito. It was greasy as well.

An omelet should be light, fluffy and just enough filling to add some flavour but not take away from the eggs.

Even if one were to change the name to avoid confusing the dish with what an omelet is, it still sucked as a dish. Heavy handed and badly executed.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users