• 16,666 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:16 AM

Sorry...no more private messages, as we are fully booked into early May

#62 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:00 AM

Had a late breakfast at the Blue Fox yesterday. Pretty good.

Matt.

#63 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

^ another place where you gotta wait on weekends.

#64 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

^How was the service? The last two times I went for a late meal the staff were too busy doing their sidework to bring us our meals. I watched them slowly getting cold on the passthrough.

#65 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

Service was good. Coffee and water topped up, seemed like a LOT of staff on though.

Wouldn’t wait in line for it.

Matt.

#66 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

^It is funny, I've seen places where one hotshot server could handle an entire section that size singlehanded. Other places have five staff running around in all directions and it still takes fifteen minutes to get a fork.

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#67 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

^How was the service? The last two times I went for a late meal the staff were too busy doing their sidework to bring us our meals. I watched them slowly getting cold on the passthrough.

No only that I get grumpy if my coffee cup stays empty too long.

#68 Laszlow

Laszlow
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

It is an interesting phenomenon here in Vic and the Island. Folks here just don't get breakfast? Brunch ... yeah sure.

Yep there are places to get eggs benedict of all stripes - had a few (Meh!) Eggs Benny ain't hard to make. And GOD-KNOWS how long the Hollandaise has been sitting????

Across North America breakfast is:

Couple of eggs
Some choice of sides (sausage, bacon or ham)
Potatoes - either hash browns or home fries and choice of toast with coffee.

And most places across the country you get this for approx $10.00 a bit more or a bit less.

But as yet have been unable to find such a place here?

Milestones is a fine brunch place ... but I WANT BREATFAST!!!  LOL
Have tried Spoons, (They are fine ... just really not a spot to go when they are empty or really busy. Nicest folks in the world - but tone down the hip - turn UP the service.)

The Ruby (The wait is just too long. Nice folks not bad food - at least it was hot as compared to Spoons but man it takes a long time to get your food.)

Denny's (Just evil. The US Denny's - if you are traveling are passable - in Canada, we don't get it? Never have never will.) 

Ricki's  (If you don't have something nice to say etc etc .)

A little hole in the wall on Bridge don't know the name (It was ok ... weird as no table service and everything is on paper plates)

And a couple of places downtown (Can't remember the names as they were not memorable?) 

I am not saying that a GREAT breakfast is not worth 20++ bucks - but the last one I had 28 dollars including 20% tip ... no. Just no! It wasn't worth it. I cook and can whip up anything I want for breakfast but as a retired guy - I like to get out, grab a paper and sit and relax during the week. Never on weekends thanks. 

I compare breakfast to two places (three actually) that are the ultimate benchmark:

The Mars in Toronto - just unbelievable. Fresh, cooked properly and served hot with great portions - including tip - 10 bux. If you don't know this place on College St at Bathurst and you are in TO ... do yourself a favor. Your faith in mankind will be renewed. Same owners and cooks since at least the 70s ....

And the absolute best breakfast The King Edward in Toronto or The Westbury in New York - probably close to $50 bux ... but you think you have died and gone to heaven. Kippers, fresh, fresh freah!!! coffee pots on the table - fresh squeezed ... meadow lark tongues on a wafer (Ok I was exaggerating!) 

I know when I was first here in Vic in the 90s you simply could not find a breakfast spot anywhere. Full stop. Coffee and a muffin. That was all there was? I used to go to the Blue Fox ... now ... they don't sell muffins? WTF?

Sorry, je digress ...

It has certainly gotten better but like all restaurants, we are way more expensive compared to other parts of Canada and it would be great that the value was there.

Here is a listing for breakfast places - I tend to stay off Pandora, Yates and Johnson. No idea why I am flypaper for whackos but I can't venture downtown without getting accosted???

https://visitorinvic...in-victoria-bc/

• SimonH likes this

#69 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

The $10 is where you're going to find issues in Victoria. Pretty much all the brunch places have the traditional breakfast. Shine has it for $11.95, Floyd's has it for $12.50, John's Place has it for $13.25, Jam has it for $13.50, at Blue Fox it's $8.95 before 10 am... you get the picture.

Victoria does seem to lack greasy spoons, which is where you'd typically find those $10 deals.

• Laszlow likes this

#70 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:10 AM

I find nothing wrong with Ricky's, been several times for breakfast this year. What's the issue with it?

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

If all you're looking for is two eggs, toast and hashbrowns there are many places that will serve that for under $10.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

that pizza place in the 600blk yates has a $3.95 or $4.95 breakfast.

el furniture brunch is $5.95

irish times and earls each have cheap early breakfasts < $10.  "brunch happy hour" (weekends from 10am until noon) at earls means all breakfasts are $9 even some that are normally $15 after happy hour.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 October 2018 - 12:24 PM.

#73 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

My go to for breakfast: Avalon on Fort. Just a block East of Blue Fox, and miles better IMHO - mostly as it isn't a hipster hotspot, and they'll let you hang out with a coffee and toast reading the paper until you feel like leaving. Great food, reasonably priced, nice waitresses.

~ Jasmine ~

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:25 PM

I thought Avalon was a hipster hot-spot?  :cheers:

• jasmineshinga likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

It is an interesting phenomenon here in Vic and the Island. Folks here just don't get breakfast? Brunch ... yeah sure.

Yep there are places to get eggs benedict of all stripes - had a few (Meh!) Eggs Benny ain't hard to make. And GOD-KNOWS how long the Hollandaise has been sitting????

Across North America breakfast is:

Couple of eggs
Some choice of sides (sausage, bacon or ham)
Potatoes - either hash browns or home fries and choice of toast with coffee.

And most places across the country you get this for approx $10.00 a bit more or a bit less.

But as yet have been unable to find such a place here?

Milestones is a fine brunch place ... but I WANT BREATFAST!!! LOL
Have tried Spoons, (They are fine ... just really not a spot to go when they are empty or really busy. Nicest folks in the world - but tone down the hip - turn UP the service.)
The Ruby (The wait is just too long. Nice folks not bad food - at least it was hot as compared to Spoons but man it takes a long time to get your food.)
Denny's (Just evil. The US Denny's - if you are traveling are passable - in Canada, we don't get it? Never have never will.)
Ricki's (If you don't have something nice to say etc etc .)
A little hole in the wall on Bridge don't know the name (It was ok ... weird as no table service and everything is on paper plates)
And a couple of places downtown (Can't remember the names as they were not memorable?)

I am not saying that a GREAT breakfast is not worth 20++ bucks - but the last one I had 28 dollars including 20% tip ... no. Just no! It wasn't worth it. I cook and can whip up anything I want for breakfast but as a retired guy - I like to get out, grab a paper and sit and relax during the week. Never on weekends thanks.

I compare breakfast to two places (three actually) that are the ultimate benchmark:

The Mars in Toronto - just unbelievable. Fresh, cooked properly and served hot with great portions - including tip - 10 bux. If you don't know this place on College St at Bathurst and you are in TO ... do yourself a favor. Your faith in mankind will be renewed. Same owners and cooks since at least the 70s ....
And the absolute best breakfast The King Edward in Toronto or The Westbury in New York - probably close to $50 bux ... but you think you have died and gone to heaven. Kippers, fresh, fresh freah!!! coffee pots on the table - fresh squeezed ... meadow lark tongues on a wafer (Ok I was exaggerating!)

I know when I was first here in Vic in the 90s you simply could not find a breakfast spot anywhere. Full stop. Coffee and a muffin. That was all there was? I used to go to the Blue Fox ... now ... they don't sell muffins? WTF?

Sorry, je digress ...

It has certainly gotten better but like all restaurants, we are way more expensive compared to other parts of Canada and it would be great that the value was there.

Here is a listing for breakfast places - I tend to stay off Pandora, Yates and Johnson. No idea why I am flypaper for whackos but I can't venture downtown without getting accosted???

https://visitorinvic...in-victoria-bc/

Off the top of my head, cup of joe in James bay, Denny’s, that cash only place by tillicum. Marble arch or something. Sunny side cafe and apple tree in esquimalt
  • Matt R., jasmineshinga and Laszlow like this

#76 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

I thought Avalon was a hipster hot-spot?  :cheers:

Them's fightin' words!

Seriously though, "oaten toast" aside, it's a cute little hole in the wall with solid diner options. The hipsters never venture beyond Blue Fox's ridiculous line for over-priced avocado toast.

~ Jasmine ~

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

Yup, Avalon is alright! I've been there a few times.

Know it all.

#78 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:51 PM

pluto's

Weekday Special $6.00 (available till 11am except holidays)
Two eggs, toast and home fries or three slices ancient grains French Toast

(add 3.95 for ham, bacon, chorizo or bangers)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 October 2018 - 01:51 PM.

• Laszlow likes this

#79 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Not a restaurant exactly but Quality Foods in Eagle Creek does a full breakfast for $5 until 11am
  • Mike K. and Laszlow like this

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Wow!

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users