Victoria film industry thread

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#201 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:30 AM

There is an episode of The Twilight Zone being shot in Victoria this week.

Wow. Any more info on that?

They have something set up at Ogden Point for their marshalling of various parts of the production as well as the background performers. My understanding is they will be shooting Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Some Inner Harbour action on Tuesday, I believe. 

Filming under the code name "Bonzo." Their Temporary Entertainment Permit includes the 700-block of Government, 600-block of Humboldt, Bastion Square, and Government House.

• Mike K. and gstc84 like this

#202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:20 PM

Netflix to film new series at Royal Beach in Colwood Share RSS

Sep 21, 2020

Royal Beach in Colwood will be the film location for a new Netflix series titled “Maid”. Expect to see film crews and equipment in the area as early as the last weekend of September.

This Warner Bros/Netflix limited run 10-episode series is being filmed exclusively in the Victoria area between September 2020 and March 2021.

The series is based on the bestselling memoir Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother's Will to Survive by Stephanie Land.

It is the story of a single mother who turns to housekeeping to — barely — make ends meet as she battles against poverty, homelessness, and bureaucracy. Told primarily through her point of view, Maid will be a beautiful, alive, gritty and inspiring exploration of poverty.

https://www.colwood....l-beach-colwood

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#203 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,300 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:36 PM

When Stephanie Land was 28, she accidentally got pregnant with a man she’d been dating for four months, a cook in Port Townsend, Wash. This man yelled at her regularly, but she stayed with him until he punched a hole in the door during a fight. Her daughter was 7 months old. Land moved in with her father, but he got violent too, and she left for a homeless shelter. From there, she secured federally subsidized Section 8 housing. Eventually, she began dating someone who had a farm, moved in with him, and started cleaning houses for $9 an hour, a job that offered “no sick pay, no vacation days, no foreseeable increase in wage.” At least one of these $9 hours went to making gas money for the commute. When the farmer broke up with her, she collected money for a deposit on an apartment of her own by appealing to her connections on Facebook. On moving into a studio, she learned it was infected by black mold.

Cleaning, which soon became the main source of Land’s income (she also did yardwork), proved grueling and tedious labor. To every house, she lugged “two spray bottles, one container of powdered Comet, two sponges, one pair of yellow gloves, 50 white rags, two dusters, one Oreck vacuum, two mop handles.” As a rule, she started in the upper left corner of the building or room and worked her way across and down until she was done — not unlike a reader. Her boss referred to her as the business’s best cleaner. Clients who had found fault with other employees did not complain about her.

https://www.nytimes....-land-maid.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 September 2020 - 05:36 PM.

#204 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:00 PM

...[Maid] is the story of a single mother who turns to housekeeping to — barely — make ends meet as she battles against poverty, homelessness, and bureaucracy. Told primarily through her point of view, Maid will be a beautiful, alive, gritty and inspiring exploration of poverty...

Sounds like it will go down well with a certain segment of locals.

#205 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:33 PM

There's a massive setup at Turkey Head Walkway (Oak Bay), wondering what's being filmed there. Tons of live-in trailers, security, etc.  

#206 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:34 PM

Gracepoint Season Two?

#207 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

Sixteen hour days may sound like a nightmare to some, but Kevin Wenstob sees it as time well spent.

As the owner of Wenstob Timber, one of the last independent sawmills on Vancouver Island, the Sooke man has been logging for as long as he can remember.

“There’s never downtime in the industry,” said Wenstob. “We probably take two Fridays off in a year. We can never go away on two-week holidays cause there’s a lot of work to get done.”

That work is the focus of a new reality TV series premiering on History Channel Canada in October.

https://www.vicnews....eality-tv-show/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 October 2020 - 06:01 PM.

#208 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:15 PM

The Maid is shooting Downtown. Cast and crew are tested for Covid multiple times per week. Apparently film production in Vancouver was halted, not because of a positive test but because Life Labs was backed up providing results.

#209 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:26 PM

Yes, some shooting will happen in the previous “The Guild”.

#210 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:40 PM

The Maid is shooting Downtown. Cast and crew are tested for Covid multiple times per week. Apparently film production in Vancouver was halted, not because of a positive test but because Life Labs was backed up providing results.

We wound up turning them down re: using the exterior/interior of our place for a few weeks. Due to my work from home commitments we couldn't make it work. They persisted and as much as the $ would've been a nice perk in this case no means no. I'm sure somewhere in this city they can find a suitable home with a brick facade, lol.....

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#211 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:26 PM

The Maid crew was shut down in Victoria as well because of slow testing results.

They will be filming at Mrs. Sparky’s house Friday night well into the wee hours of the morning.
  • AllseeingEye, Hotel Mike and Victoria Watcher like this

#212 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:55 PM

margot robbie is the executive producer of maid.

margot-robbie-gorgeous-sd.jpg

https://www.whats-on...we-know-so-far/

#213 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:36 PM

I’ll make sure Sparky and ASE sit apart at this year’s Xmas party.
  • AllseeingEye and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#214 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:27 PM

Ha!

#215 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:58 PM

Turns out my neighbour has a part in the Maid movie, she plays the potential buyer of a high end home.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#216 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:24 PM

I am told extras on this movie have to take a Covid test twice a week, for which they are paid $100 for their trouble.

#217 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:49 AM

IMG_20201029_121824.jpg

Exterior crew on location at Admiral's Walk, got distracted on my walk for lunch.

They have swapped out the signage and turned the old Chinese buffet into Social Services.

A lot of support staff on site, taking over the Rexall lot.

~ Jasmine ~

#218 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:28 PM

...They have swapped out the signage and turned the old Chinese buffet into Social Services....

I guess they didn't want the authenticity of the Pandora and Quadra location.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#219 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:19 PM

Ah, that’s what that was when I drove past. I couldn’t gaze for too long but I had noticed the commotion.

Know it all.

#220 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 03:14 PM

A huge film studio is being proposed for the Malahat, near Mill Bay.

The Malahat Nation is partnering with Victoria-based Alpha Select Production Services Inc. in the proposal to build an ambitious 80-acre studio project, which would be called Malahat Film Studios, on its land.

The project would include six world-class sound stages as well as related offices and workshops, a technical academy for apprenticeships and skills-transfer training, a business park, office park, and an industrial zone, as well as a shopping village and hotel.

At full scale, the project is forecast to provide 1,500 direct jobs for the region, which would make it among the top employers in the area.

https://www.vicnews....t-nation-lands/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 December 2020 - 03:14 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users