Photo

Victoria film industry thread

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#241 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 10:48 AM

^As much as the Bricklin SV-1 assembly plant.

The promoter claims that they have the $300M lined up but apparently can't afford a feasibility study unless the Government pays for it! I wonder who would do the study!

#242 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:18 AM

Rather conveniently, the proposed Mill Bay site falls inside the boundary of the Vancouver Island "studio zone", which describes the area that crews can be obliged to work in without being paid for hotels, per diems, and travel expenses.

https://www.iatse.co...IA-ZONE-MAP.pdf

The fact that the proposed site is inside the studio zone is definitely a positive.

The proposal still comes across as a penniless effort to try and secure public funds for a "study", and then have taxpayers pay to build the studios while the "promoters" would operate it, and reap the profits.

In short, Mill Bay won't happen, but it will generate lots of talk about studio construction on Vancouver Island.

Because the described studio zone is generally considered as the area where location filming can take place without the production incurring extra crew expenses ... and with the majority of the two or three crews that can work on films in Victoria at the same point in time living in Victoria, there would be a huge industry push for a studio facility within the CRD, as opposed to the other side of the Malahat.

Camosun College Interurban has an entire undeveloped mountain they can build studios on, and with the preliminary comments from both the College and the Province, I'd put my money solidly on some sort of PPP between Government, Industry, and Camosun.

A properly functioning studio doesn't take up a lot of land ... as long as the studio has been designed from the ground up as a studio, as seen here with one of Vancouvers busiest studios:

https://www.google.c...m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Nparker likes this

#243 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:29 AM

^ The intent, I am sure, is to get the Government to put up a sum of money for the assessment to get them committed. Once you have a little, it is easier to get more because you now have someone in the Government who has ownership of the file and doesn't want to look bad if it doesn't proceed after money has been spent. 

The premise that you would have $300M lined up from credible investors who won't then pay a hundred grand for due diligence is laughable. 

Edited by spanky123, 18 December 2020 - 08:34 AM.

#244 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,989 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:36 AM

the way I read it is the First Nation wants the report to identify risks for them.

#245 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:39 AM

^Agreed. It may even be as far as they've gone with their thinking this project ... to get their hands on some seed money for a study in order to build the optics of a project that's well underway (when in fact it's nothing of the sort).

The fact that Horgan has already said "film studio" and "Camosun College" out loud (and in the same sentence) has enough weight behind it to (IMO) effectively scuttle any efforts to steer Provincial dollars to any sort of Mill Bay study.

If I was an investor, I'd put my money behind what John Horgan and Fred Haynes have already very publicly stated they're working towards ... a PPP with Camosun College.

#246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:45 AM

Right. It makes little sense to build a studio along a highway that can shut down for hours at a time, or even days.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#247 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:54 AM

Right. It makes little sense to build a studio along a highway that can shut down for hours at a time, or even days.

I hadn't even thought of that ... and the level of filmmaking we're discussing tends to measure each lost hour in the tens of thousands of dollars.

A closed Malahat would have to figure into any sort of feasibility study for Mill Bay.

The only twist may be the First Nations component ... especially if federal dollars become involved, something we don't see in the current infrastructure designed to support movie making in B.C.

Edited by Spy Black, 18 December 2020 - 08:54 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#248 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:36 AM

^Agreed. It may even be as far as they've gone with their thinking this project ... to get their hands on some seed money for a study in order to build the optics of a project that's well underway (when in fact it's nothing of the sort).

The fact that Horgan has already said "film studio" and "Camosun College" out loud (and in the same sentence) has enough weight behind it to (IMO) effectively scuttle any efforts to steer Provincial dollars to any sort of Mill Bay study.

If I was an investor, I'd put my money behind what John Horgan and Fred Haynes have already very publicly stated they're working towards ... a PPP with Camosun College.

I donno, the province has taken an about-turn on other line-items of late.... Woodwynn Farms for example.  These are reconciliation times, this would, like Woodwynn Farms, fit reconciliation very well.  Job creation, education, commerce, all winners for a people whom have had less opportunity.  Outside investors, film studios, producers etc. are embracing this one.  I would strongly urge the provincial gov., the Mayor of Saanich, Camosun College send indicators as quickly as possible that they all will put their support and energy behind this rather than ...... their own interests. 

#249 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 12:29 PM

^ Outside investors, etc are embracing this according to a person who organizes locations and props for film companies. As I said previously, if $300M was confirmed as claimed then the Feds/Province putting up $100K for a study would not be a roadblock. The investors would gladly underwrite that study themselves to get the ball rolling and satisfy their own due diligence needs.

What I am guessing is happening is that film studios, producers etc are saying they would be interested in considering a VI film studio, but the actually money to build it is being sought as a grant from the Government(s).

Edited by spanky123, 18 December 2020 - 12:31 PM.

#250 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 12:56 PM

^ Outside investors, etc are embracing this according to a person who organizes locations and props for film companies. As I said previously, if $300M was confirmed as claimed then the Feds/Province putting up $100K for a study would not be a roadblock. The investors would gladly underwrite that study themselves to get the ball rolling and satisfy their own due diligence needs.

What I am guessing is happening is that film studios, producers etc are saying they would be interested in considering a VI film studio, but the actually money to build it is being sought as a grant from the Government(s).

The Mayor of Saanich/Camosun College proposal wouldn't have a hand out for a grant from the 'Government(s)'? 

The Times Colonist Oct. 16/20:

NDP calls 'action' on Camosun film studio; funding to develop a business plan 

"The provincial NDP is planning to inject some cash and life into the Island’s film industry if it gets re-elected."

https://www.timescol...plan-1.24221896

Edited by VIResident, 18 December 2020 - 12:59 PM.

#251 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:19 AM

The Mayor of Saanich/Camosun College proposal wouldn't have a hand out for a grant from the 'Government(s)'? 

The Times Colonist Oct. 16/20:

NDP calls 'action' on Camosun film studio; funding to develop a business plan 

"The provincial NDP is planning to inject some cash and life into the Island’s film industry if it gets re-elected."

https://www.timescol...plan-1.24221896

I am sure it would but I am infinitely more comfortable with Camosun and an organization I can FOI managing my money then two groups that as far as I can tell have never built/developed anything even remotely comparable in scale.

#252 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 06:28 AM

I am sure it would but I am infinitely more comfortable with Camosun and an organization I can FOI managing my money then two groups that as far as I can tell have never built/developed anything even remotely comparable in scale.

Funny, first thing that came to mind immediately after reading your post:

Provincial audit of Johnson Street Bridge project won't go ahead - https://www.timescol...head-1.24257505

Audit cancelled for Victoria’s Johnson Street Bridge project

Auditor general cites COVID-19, closing of office - https://www.vicnews....bridge-project/

Les Leyne: Eye-rolling bridge story won't be told - https://www.timescol...told-1.24257693

#253 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 06:44 AM

The Last Will and Testament of Charles Abernathy is a Netflix horror movie currently shooting here.

• Mike K. likes this

#254 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 06:53 AM

The Last Will and Testament of Charles Abernathy is a Netflix horror movie currently shooting here.

All of the actors and support crew local? I thought that there was a travel ban in place or is shooting a movie now deemed 'essential'?

#255 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 06:56 AM

There are frat boys with surfboards on their Vanagons pulling up to ferry lineups claiming to be essential travellers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#256 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,989 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:00 AM

All of the actors and support crew local? I thought that there was a travel ban in place or is shooting a movie now deemed 'essential'?

travelling for permitted work IS essential.

#257 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:02 AM

travelling for permitted work IS essential.

I was being tongue in check. I would be far more concerned about dozens of people hanging around in small groups without masks if I were on a film crew.

#258 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:01 PM

I was being tongue in check. I would be far more concerned about dozens of people hanging around in small groups without masks if I were on a film crew.

They get tested a lot and if they are Americans they will be vaccinated.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#259 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:53 AM

Although the performers may be American, the crew of film productions shot in B.C. definitely aren't American ... as the assorted contracts and Provincial and Federal labour laws as they pertain to filmmaking in B.C. prevent American film crews from coming into Canada to work. 

This has long applied, and has nothing to do with COVID.

At the most, very senior positions like Director, or Director of Photography may be Americans, but none of the hundreds of other on-set crew will be. 

Film crews in B.C. get tested for COVID daily, with exhaustive rules governing what happens if there has been a COVID exposure on-set.

Not everybody has agreed (over the past 10 months or so) with the Provincial Government having allowed the four billion dollar per year filmmaking machine in B.C. to continue unabated while the rest of the Province has been shut down ... but it would seem that same B.C. filmmaking machine has immense influence when lobbying the Provincial Government ... such that filmmaking in B.C. continues to enjoy full employment, and full production, while the rest of us can't even sit in a restaurant and eat a hamburger.

• Mike K., Nparker, spanky123 and 1 other like this

#260 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:41 AM

^ I had read recently that about 60% of our film crews were local. That is not saying they are American, they could be from anywhere in Canada and still meet the requirement right?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users