Victoria film industry thread

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#101 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

We're worried about speed limits but we're still allowing student drivers to drive ambulances?

How are ambulance drivers supposed to be trained? Exclusively on simulators? :confused:

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#102 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

A short film on how Vancouver never plays itself in films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm74VGsZBU

#103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:18 PM

D'oh. Except for all of the shows that are filmed and set in Vancouver:

- Beachcombers

- Da Vinci's Inquest

- Continuum

- Neon Rider

- Edgemont

- Motive

...and I'm sure there are others. But I guess when it comes to "movies" then I don't think Vancouver has ever been "Vancouver." Or has it? I dunno.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

So be it. Canadians don't make movies in Mexico or Greenland, we should thankful US companies come here to film.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#105 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:16 PM

Mexico makes films of Mexico I'm sure. I think it's pretty sad. More an indication where Vancouver lies on the world stage than a commentary on the film industry.
  • Nparker likes this

#106 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:17 PM

^^btw VHF where is your Canadian pride?

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

^^btw VHF where is your Canadian pride?

I've got Canadian pride.  But I understand the centre of the English-language entertainment universe is the US.  That's why tens of thousands of Canadians work in the US in the entertainment industry and only a couple thousand at best US people work here in same.  The US consumes so much of the world's entertainment  - movies, TV, music, even live performances and sports, because they have a very strong economy, and consumers have high wages that can support spending on those things.

Consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers has predicted that global spending for media and entertainment will reach $2.2 trillion in 2017, compared with $1.6 trillion in 2012. The U.S. is expected to remain the largest media market, with spending increasing 4.8% annually to reach $632 billion in 2017, up from the nearly $500 billion spent last year.

http://www.latimes.c...0605-story.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#108 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

I've got Canadian pride.  But I understand the centre of the English-language entertainment universe is the US.  That's why tens of thousands of Canadians work in the US in the entertainment industry and only a couple thousand at best US people work here in same.  The US consumes so much of the world's entertainment  - movies, TV, music, even live performances and sports, because they have a very strong economy, and consumers have high wages that can support spending on those things.

http://www.latimes.c...0605-story.html

On an adjusted for GDP basis, I doubt the US spends much more than most 1st world countries. They have a strong economy and GDP, so of course the numbers look skewed that way.

#109 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:36 PM

^ So as a percentage of their income they spend the same as other 1st-worlders?  I dunno, the figure I cited suggest they buy 29% of the entire world entertainment price ticket.  That's not bad for 5% of the entire world population.

#110 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:39 PM

Oh, I suspect the US is still the biggest consumer as a percentage of their income, sure.

The problem with these numbers is that it doesn't take into account price variations as well.

But it won't look like 1/25ths of the world's population is spending almost 1/3rd of the world's media spending when you look at just the whole numbers... even though that is technically true, it doesn't show the full picture. Prices for media are much cheapr in China, for example.

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:42 PM

^ Yes, that's probably true.  Movies shown overseas generally bring in very little money (relatively), as I suspect when they are shown in India and China, they don't charge much to see them.

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:46 PM

Yeah, entertainment is priced relative to incomes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#113 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

^ Yes, that's probably true.  Movies shown overseas generally bring in very little money (relatively), as I suspect when they are shown in India and China, they don't charge much to see them.

You do know that most top Hollywood films now make more money on foreign box office, than domestic?  And that's one reason why China has been figuring so prominently in most major Hollywood films these days?  And it's why some films that "bombed" actually turn a profit and get sequels? 

Jurassic World has brought in $1B in foreign box office (vs $650M in the US); Avengers: Age of Ultron has $943M foreign, to $460M domestic; Furious 7 brought in $350M domestic, versus a $1.1B foreign haul.

What slows Hollywood down is China having a blackout on Hollywood releases during the summer, as a protectionist effort to maintain it's local productions.  But really, business-wise, the block-busters we get today are pretty much designed to make their profits overseas.  The US/Canada market is becoming a secondary field.

#114 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:23 PM

You do know that most top Hollywood films now make more money on foreign box office, than domestic?  

Ya, I see some of that for the very top films, but not for the rest.  They do not make as much profit overseas though, their expenses (marketing, distribution, partners) is higher per dollar at the box office.

#115 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

D'oh. Except for all of the shows that are filmed and set in Vancouver:

- Beachcombers

So Gibsons is now a suburb of Vancouver?

• Nparker likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#116 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:46 AM

Funding restored

Victoria councillors reversed a funding cut to the film commission and removed a $25,000 cap on Strategic Planning Grants.

The decision came at the urging of Coun. Jeremy Loveday and after councillors received more than 50 letters from businesses and residents supporting the commission.

Film commissioner Kathleen Gilbert said the funding cut would have been devastating and made little economic sense.

The film commission conservatively brought more than $18 million to the Greater Victoria economy last year — mostly in Victoria and Saanich — while operating on a budget of $175,000, she said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.l9Nq24Tr.dpuf

#117 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:48 AM

The film commission conservatively brought more than $18 million to the Greater Victoria economy last year

My only issue with that is that with no film commission there might have been a similar amount "brought in".

IMO the film commission ought to do a little bit of their own fundraising.  They have an Oscar gala every year, and that's about it.

#118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:53 AM

Who funds the commision, and why the heck does the commission not charge a production levy?

Know it all.

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:04 AM

Who funds the commision, and why the heck does the commission not charge a production levy?

I'm sure they will tell you that any type of a levy will discourage productions from coming here.

Look, for whatever reason, that particular industry is very good at getting money from taxpayers, mostly in the form of tax breaks.  And you can see, when their funding was jeopardized here, they got 50 people to write letters.  That's easier than raising $75,000 every year.

I suspect the lion's share of the commission's expenses is Gilbert's salary.

I don't know if any of the other municipalities help fund it.  My guess is that Victoria is on the hook again.  Look at Gracepoint, it did most of its filming in Sidney and Oak Bay, and major stars stayed in an Oak Bay hotel.

When I threw a free Gracepoint screening party, they called me to ask me not to, because they were doing one that cost $25 to go to.  That's been my only contact with them.

#120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

Their funding is here, but no breakdowns:

http://www.filmvicto...nding-partners/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users