Victoria film industry thread

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

A $10,000 levy per week of shooting won't turn away any business, not with a 40% exchange rate. They should be capitalizing on that big time, but they're not, I'm guessing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

I'm ok with the totally unfair tax breaks for this industry.  It's totally mobile so these breaks really make the difference, which is why lots of things are filmed in BC and Ontario.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#123 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:57 AM

"We have a small problem, they've reopened the X-Files"

http://www.digitalsp...he-smoking-man/

#124 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

We'll be honest, we are really not sure what this is, but it was sent to us, so we'll post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmRMgbQlhw&feature=youtu.be

Not sure where this is, it's funny how cars in the background are in some snips, and there seems to be a highway below, anyone know where this is?

• Matt R. and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#125 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

Isn't that the stand of trees just east of the top of Beacon Hill? Weird though, no question.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#126 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

Isn't that the stand of trees just east of the top of Beacon Hill? Weird though, no question.

No, at 1:02 there is a divided highway.

Could it be like Mill Hill?  There is a serious earth cut for the highway too.

screenshot-vibrantvictoria.ca 2016-08-03 16-10-23.png

• Mr Cook Street and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

This isn't local. We don't have pines like that.

I think these guys are from Europe.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

Ah, here we go: https://www.facebook...m&tab=page_info

Greece.

Know it all.

#129 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:28 PM

Ah, here we go: https://www.facebook...m&tab=page_info

Greece.

Oh Lord, well, no idea why it was sent to me, too funny.   I really did not mind the song at all.

• Matt R. likes this

#130 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:41 AM

From the IFCON Cancelled thread:

According to "Hurt by IFCON 2015" on Facebook, Bill Code is attempting to crowdfund $500k to start a movie studio. It looks like the campaign ended without any backers: https://www.indiegog...d-movies-film#/

Hopefully it died because this guy appears to be about a trustworthy as a rabid hyena but it brings up an interesting question that I've wondered about: would a movie studio in the GVA be useful and/or successful?

Edited by tedward, 04 August 2016 - 07:41 AM.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#131 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

From the IFCON Cancelled thread:

Hopefully it died because this guy appears to be about a trustworthy as a rabid hyena but it brings up an interesting question that I've wondered about: would a movie studio in the GVA be useful and/or successful?

Well, a lot of people say we need one.  Everyone except anyone that would like to pay for one.

If it was a guaranteed revenue maker, you'd think someone with deep pockets like Lionsgate would build one.

#132 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:47 AM

Exactly. I've attended announcements at least a few times about plans for a Victoria studio. There are some facilities for small budget projects, but as VHF points out above, if it is a money-making prospect, a big company would step in.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

Victoria doesn't have a film industry. We are a shooting location that heavily dependent on a low Canadian dollar and tax breaks.

The head of the Victoria film commission even said that crews are so efficient now that they'll do their filming in a week. A few years back they could be lingering around for a month. Even Vancouver took a massive hit when the dollar started rising and has only recovered because of the exchange. You can't invest $10 million into a facility that is dependent on a myriad of external factors and might end up sitting unused for long periods of time.

Know it all.

#134 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:11 PM

The head of the Victoria film commission even said that crews are so efficient now that they'll do their filming in a week. 

And part of that is technology too.  Use multiple cameras, don't worry as much about lighting, or sound (match that up later), post-production can fix things.

#135 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:37 PM

And part of that is technology too.  Use multiple cameras, don't worry as much about lighting, or sound (match that up later), post-production can fix things.

Says the master photographer. :)

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#136 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

Says the master photographer. :)

Ha ha!  Just wait until all my old photos go into post!

#137 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:18 AM

When Margaret Judge pulled up to the warehouse on Viewfield Road in Esquimalt, she looked at it and saw possibility.

Now, that possibility is becoming a reality, as Judge is getting set to open a permanent film and TV production studio in the 60,000-square-foot space — the first of its kind on Vancouver Island.

Judge, the owner of Pretty Clever Entertainment, an entertainment company that works with short reels, documentaries and reality TV, recently made an offer to lease the Capital Regional District (CRD)-owned building at 836 Viewfield Rd.

The building, which was formerly purchased for the sewage treatment program but subsequently turned down, will have space for every facet of the industry, including a soundstage and office space. The space can also be adapted to fit the needs of each production that comes in.

Three productions are already slated to use the studio, with the first one potentially beginning in fall 2017.

“They're big and it's super exciting,” Judge said, noting the productions are coming from Los Angeles, one of which could bring as many as 300 jobs to the region.

“This is going to bring lots of jobs. This building can easily contain more than one show at a time. The job potential is awesome for the city.”

http://www.vicnews.c.../400552861.html
  • jonny likes this

#138 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:44 AM

^ Wow, would I love to see this happen! Like many other things in Victoria, the idea of a permanent production studio has blossomed and withered before. Let's hope they can pull it off this time.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#139 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

i drive past the warehouse fairly often (there are a few on that street that have been empty for years) it's located right by the wholesale club there's fair bit of action going on, the parking lot is full of vehicles and construction last time i drove past (along with the building beside it is set to be one of the 2 trampoline parks due to open in this town)

#140 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

Wow, would I love to see this happen! Like many other things in Victoria, the idea of a permanent production studio has blossomed and withered before. Let's hope they can pull it off this time.

I think Rock Bay would be the place to build an all purpose film industry studio, and be able to take advantage of having water access.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users