Photo

City of Victoria - 2014-2018 Mayor and Council General Discussion Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1722 replies to this topic

#81 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

This is such a non issue, like getting fussy at a politician not wearing a flag pin.  Focus on the policies and results not on the useless symbolism.

• gumgum, tedward and bluefox like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#82 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:23 PM

This is such a non issue, like getting fussy at a politician not wearing a flag pin.  Focus on the policies and results not on the useless symbolism.

Agreed (and, personally, being a republican, great to see an elected official do this).

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#83 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

I agree, I've never sworn allegiance to anyone so I'm not so sure I would swear it the the Queen if i was in this position either... Yet another Lisa Helps controversy to file under who cares...

• gumgum likes this

#84 Matmons

Matmons
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:31 PM

I think most people misunderstand what the oath means. When you take public office, or when you become a citizen, you swear allegiance, not to the Queen as a person, but to Canada and its governing bodies. She is just the symbol of that institution.

• Mike K., Nparker, AndrewReeve and 1 other like this

#85 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:23 AM

Think of the worst most corrupt politician you can imagine, they took such an oath, they all have.  It's absolutely meaningless and does nothing to produce better leaders.  Look at their actions, words are cheap and meaningless distractions from politicians.

• gumgum and bluefox like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:56 AM

Think of the worst most corrupt politician you can imagine, they took such an oath, they all have.  It's absolutely meaningless and does nothing to produce better leaders.  Look at their actions, words are cheap and meaningless distractions from politicians.

I'm looking at Helps' actions.  She should have known that this issue has now overshadowed everything else she said at the inaugural address.  Rightly or wrongly, she should have known this was what the media would talk about.  So whatever good intentions she had, has been lost.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#87 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

I saw from a PR standpoint, this won't hurt her at all. Everyone will forget about this in a month. Even though I still don't know what the fuss is about.

#88 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:24 AM

I saw from a PR standpoint, this won't hurt her at all. Everyone will forget about this in a month. Even though I still don't know what the fuss is about.

If Helps, Isitt or Alto had serious, moral objections to taking the oath then they would not have taken it 3 years ago. This was a stunt and not the best way to start a new term.

From a PR standpoint this won't hurt her with her base as this confrontational approach is exactly what many of them want. It will hurt her within the broader community as it shows a lack of maturity. If she shows that this was an isolated incident then it will be overlooked.

Edited by spanky123, 05 December 2014 - 08:26 AM.

• Nparker, rjag, LJ and 3 others like this

#89 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

It's the optics. They were playing to a specific audience. I bet they didn't think it would bite as hard as it did. I'm surprised that the sole focus is on Helps and not on the group especially Alto as this appears out of character for her but is totally expected of comrade Ben and his sidekick
  • Nparker, LJ, AllseeingEye and 1 other like this

#90 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:40 AM

So in the next municipal election perhaps we need a question on the ballot...

"Would you like to amend an amendment to consider revisiting the discussion on pledging an oath, or would you prefer to abstain from deciding on that section of the official wording?"  :judge: 

#91 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

It's the optics. They were playing to a specific audience. I bet they didn't think it would bite as hard as it did. I'm surprised that the sole focus is on Helps and not on the group especially Alto as this appears out of character for her but is totally expected of comrade Ben and his sidekick

Agreed. Interesting that Alto and Isitt were also chosen as 2 of the 3 CRD members along with Helps.

#92 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:47 AM

Frank has lost it...

http://www.cfax1070....Friday-Dec-5-14

Fact is, Victoria, more of your council rejected God yesterday than rejected the Queen.  Maybe that should be a bigger issue.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#93 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

Others in the past have not taken the oath to very little fanfare. I think she chose not to take a symbolic oath for the symbolism of change. Getting people talking about you in this fashion is far from bad for her carrer. For such a small thing she has got a lot of free press.
  • gumgum, sebberry and Dimitrios like this

#94 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

And as Lisa said on the radio this morning, the pledge of allegiance to the Queen isn't even taken in Saanich, Esquimalt and a few others that I wasn't fully awake to remember. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#95 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:01 AM

^ This. It is only an issue because those who did not support her are looking for ways to diminish her.

I personally disagree with her decision but as someone else mentioned it is not a legal requirement (and not even an option in Esquimalt apparently from a post by one of their councillors I saw on Facebook.)

If Helps, Isitt or Alto had serious, moral objections to taking the oath then they would not have taken it 3 years ago.

Oh my, Saints preserve us! Someone has done some thinking in three years and must be stopped!

Just curious Spanky at what age precisely is a person no longer permitted to change their minds on anything?

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#96 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:40 AM

^ This. It is only an issue because those who did not support her are looking for ways to diminish her.

I personally disagree with her decision but as someone else mentioned it is not a legal requirement (and not even an option in Esquimalt apparently from a post by one of their councillors I saw on Facebook.)

Oh my, Saints preserve us! Someone has done some thinking in three years and must be stopped!

Just curious Spanky at what age precisely is a person no longer permitted to change their minds on anything?

The point I was making is that the decision not to take the oath was a stunt and unnecessary. No doubt opinion will be divided largely based on how you voted.

If I were to give Lisa one piece of advice it would be to get some political advice. before she does things like this. I am sure that the hard left would love to have her running around upsetting convention and polarizing the community. The problem with this approach is that it creates a lot of noise and will make getting anything meaningful accomplished impossible.

Edited by spanky123, 05 December 2014 - 09:45 AM.

• Nparker and LocalMom like this

#97 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

A lot of this chatter sounds like sour grapes to me.

• Baro, sebberry and tedward like this

#98 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:03 AM

CFAX just had 30 minutes of callers on this matter - I could have sworn their screeners were only letting callers through who were upset with Lisa. 

Anyone who asked for a recall, impeachment, etc... over this should have asked Lisa before voting day if she planned to pledge allegiance to the Queen.  You can't claim that it's a major issue if you never even thought to bring it up at one of the many opportunities you had. 

#99 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:07 AM

perhaps Lisa was thinking about moving forward. perhaps she is thinking that if she is going to do anything
significant she needs to work with the first nation bands in town which she referred to often and actually
opened her speech by quoting a FN representative. The whole thing is pathetic and it shows how the media can
divert our attentions away from things that matter so they can sell some air time.
  • gumgum, sebberry and Bingo like this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#100 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

perhaps Lisa was thinking about moving forward. perhaps she is thinking that if she is going to do anything
significant she needs to work with the first nation bands in town which she referred to often and actually
opened her speech by quoting a FN representative. The whole thing is pathetic and it shows how the media can
divert our attentions away from things that matter so they can sell some air time.

Which is exactly why she needs political advice. You can go down a path of trying to change convention, trying to change the media, trying to change historic treaty rights and agreements but you know what that doesn't leave you time to do - fix the problems in the City that you were actually hired to address!

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users