Photo

City of Victoria - 2014-2018 Mayor and Council General Discussion Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1722 replies to this topic

#1321 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:24 AM

CUPE 50 will not go for that.  While some (most?) of the Y staff are union, they wage scales are lower than the City.

You could hire them all at whichever wage scale. The newer, bigger centre will need more staff initially. You'll get down to normal staffing numbers eventually through attrition (a large number of the YMCA staff are high school/university students who will eventually move on to other things).

#1322 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

Would that not put upwards wage pressure on other unionized YMCA's though?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1323 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:01 AM

CUPE 50 will not go for that.  While some (most?) of the Y staff are union, they wage scales are lower than the City.

I don't think Y staff are unionized. Maybe their pool operators, but I don't think any of their front line staff are.

#1324 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

If these are the top 8 choices, what must the other entries must have been in the CoV's "How to Waste 50,000 Taxpayer Dollars" contest?

Eight shortlisted projects are vying for up to $50,000 in funding.  Now it’s the community’s turn to VOTE! The shortlisted projects are:

- A pop-up garden and native bee art installation with educational workshops.
- Solar power and batteries for the aquaponics system at the Compost Education Centre.
- An art and music program for seniors with dementia.
- An employment training program, connecting vulnerable adults with local employers.
- An arts program for marginalized people in the Victoria area.
- A new electronic community resource board at Victoria High School to serve the Fernwood community.
- A pedal-powered Victoria Bike Music Festival and summer concert series.
- A community learning garden in the courtyard by the Downtown Branch of the Victoria Public Library.

http://www.victoria....ty-project.html

There isn't a "none of the above" option.  :( 

If you truly feel a need to vote, here's how:

How to Vote:

CRD residents are invited to vote before January 20, 2018.

- Vote in person at City Hall, in the Douglas Street foyer from 8:00- 4:30 Monday to Friday, excluding holidays.
- Watch for the "PB Street Team" who will be hosting pop-up voting stations in the community, including at the Fernwood Student Dinner Night, January 10, 2018.

http://www.victoria....-budgeting.html

As previously discussed, why are non-CoV residents allowed a voice in how my money is spent?

• Midnightly and rmpeers like this

#1325 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:01 PM

If these are the top 8 choices, what must the other entries must have been in the CoV's "How to Waste 50,000 Taxpayer Dollars" contest?
There isn't a "none of the above" option. :(

If you truly feel a need to vote, here's how:
As previously discussed, why are non-CoV residents allowed a voice in how my money is spent?

Sure this isn't a leaked copy of their full platform for the 2018 election?
  • Nparker, rjag and Daveyboy like this

#1326 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

I put Mike down for the Bicycle Music Fest for Homeless People.

Seriously though these options are pretty ****.   The supported employment program is probably the best of the bunch.  Or the sign, at least that will last.  

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#1327 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

I put Mike down for the Bicycle Music Fest for Homeless People.

Seriously though these options are pretty ****. The supported employment program is probably the best of the bunch. Or the sign, at least that will last.

Yep nothing says sound fiscal management like spending $50,000 for an LED sign that should cost 10% of that
  • Midnightly likes this

#1328 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

https://www.murdoch4mayor.com/

Kevin Murdoch is running for Mayor in Oak Bay.

• rjag likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1329 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

...Kevin Murdoch is running for Mayor in Oak Bay.

But not the CoV despite the title of this thread.  ;)

#1330 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

Well, there is no Oak Bay thread.  And I'm not the guy to start a new one.

• Nparker likes this

#1331 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:24 PM

Well, there is no Oak Bay thread.  And I'm not the guy to start a new one.

Try one of these.   :cheers:

https://vibrantvicto...l=+tinto +rocks

https://vibrantvicto...cks#entry170815

https://vibrantvicto...cks#entry135865

https://vibrantvicto...cks#entry154060

#1332 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

https://www.murdoch4mayor.com/

Kevin Murdoch is running for Mayor in Oak Bay.

Nothing will change. Book it.

#1333 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

Part of his platform is addressing the infrastructure deficit in Oak Bay.  ie. cutting services, raising taxes, densifying (to increase the tax base) or a combination of the three.  Those are not winning election stances.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 January 2018 - 03:24 PM.

#1334 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

Part of his platform is addressing the infrastructure deficit in Oak Bay.  ie. cutting services, raising taxes, densifying (to increase the tax base) or a combination of the three.  Those are not winning election stances.  

I have met him a few times. He's a good guy, very bright and knowledgeable. I will also note he was the only incumbent from the prior election to take the time to door knock and meet residents in our neighborhood of North Henderson.

Not a lot of love for Nils in my circles, says he's open and approachable but unless a citizen makes a point of going to council meetings or other formal events thats one thing, you wont see him at the coffee shop working the tables like Chris Causton used to do.

They had a traffic study 2 years ago and wont deal with the results, my wife and several neighbours have written about changing the 30 zone at Uplands school and the folks that work there all say they cant deal with it until council gives them the green light....its like they subscribe to the 'do nothing and they cant blame us ' mantra

Murdoch is probably one of the more level headed on council, so will be a shame if he doesnt get in

#1335 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

Saanich entrepreneur John Wilson says he won’t run in 2018

A Saanich entrepreneur has ruled out running in the 2018 municipal election, but won’t close the door on future runs.

“I’m saying no, but I’m not saying never,” said John Wilson, president, chief executive and principal owner of the Wilson’s Group of Companies. “It just don’t make sense at this stage in my career right now to run. But I’m certainly willing to put my name forward in the future.”

Wilson, who holds a long list of professional awards and currently serves as vice-president of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce, made these comments in an interview in which he discussed the upcoming municipal election and budget talks among other issues.

“I’d love to [run], and I have been asked in both Saanich and Victoria by business-people to run for various positions,” he said. “At this point in my career, our company is at a point, where it still needs me.”

This said, Wilson believe council would benefit from fresh views.

“I think we have some staleness on council, not just Saanich,” he said. “I know Mayor [Richard] Atwell has talked about a little bit of a change on council in Saanich. That can be easily fixed.”

#1336 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

^ Whoever wrote that needs to take a course of some kind.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#1337 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:06 PM

removed 

Edited by Bingo, 16 February 2018 - 10:57 PM.

#1338 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

The present council voted for the name the new library. What's next?

#1339 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

Isitt would change every name including Victoria. He sees “reconciliation” as his life’s work.
  • Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1340 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

Isitt would change every name including Victoria. He sees “reconciliation” as his life’s work.

As a "settler" wouldn't his best gesture of reconciliation involve his returning to the land of his ancestors?

• rjag and GaryRanson like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users