Does he have a real name, lol?

It could have been that dude on here that had an opinion on everything.  :rtfm:

• sdwright.vic and lanforod like this

#1382 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

Well, he's doing a poor job at sarcasm.   Just because a guy wants to stop rampant spending on bike lanes, does not mean he can't be an environmentalist. 

$14M spent on bike lanes could have bought the City a fleet of 466 electric cars at $30,000 each.

• Nparker and Bingo like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1383 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

Well short of 500, in other words.

#1384 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:59 AM

It's certainly true that Facebook brings out the cray in all of us.

#1385 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

It could have been that dude on here that had an opinion on everything. 

I am still not entirely sure Changes the Clown and "He Who Shall Not Be Named" aren't the same person.

• VicHockeyFan and sdwright.vic like this

#1386 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:16 PM

Well short of 500, in other words.

I like round numbers too and the extra million would not be out of line.

#1387 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Post removed

Edited by Bingo, 16 February 2018 - 04:50 PM.

#1388 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

I don't know, environmentalism isn't really a big thing at the municipal level. It's already built into every decision council makes and everyone at City Hall is pretty much on board already so if you're branding yourself as "the environmental candidate"...well, you're not really bringing anything new to the table. 

• Baro, Nparker, Bingo and 3 others like this

#1389 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:01 AM

https://www.vicnews....-fall-election/

Rob Duncan.

Ed Pullman is already mad and exhibiting his usual histrionics, so he must be good.

Ed must be doing something right to have encouraged you to screenshot something from his page and post it. ;)

Edited by bluefox, 19 February 2018 - 11:01 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and Coreyburger like this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#1390 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

The only folks aware of the website or the Victoria Labour Council are NDP and Union activists and Chiefs. The fact is they are operating a municipal political party with interviewed and vetted candidates with 'free' mailings of these 'endorsements' to 20,000 current and retired public union households. The households receive additional endorsement mailings through their local newsletters. This is the largest direct mailing by any candidate in the election. The cost of this received service never appears in the candidates declared expenses at city hall. In  fact if you declare the two  lists between top sucesssful vote getting candidates and the endorsements in the mailing they completely overlap. Furthermore the appearance of three sleeper NDP candidates Thorton-Joe, Coleman and Helps you end up with a 8 out of 9 score. Helps was an candidate endorsee in the previous  election and how she came to electoral success.  Thorton-Joe and Coleman have a synchronous voting record with the block and are well known  to long time NDP voters locally. In summary the NDP runs a secret municipal party in Victoria and they cheat. If you are not on the VLC endorsement list mass mailing you will have a 9/10ths chance of coming in 11th or worse.

It's the most open secret there is in this community.  A very quick review of the candidates election disclosure forms shows how much influence has been brought to bear, in $$$ alone!

#1391 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

Vancouver now publishes a dashboard that, at a glance, shows how councillors voted on each issue. (attached)  

Sad and embarrassing that it took so long when, at the same time, we bemoan poor voter turnout - this should be the minimum standard for transparency - good information creates engagement (as opposed to apathy) for goodness sake!

Why cant we have the same transparency in Victoria, Saanich, Esquimalt...? (my fingers are getting tired - you get the picture.)

post-4010-0-53276000-1521825430.png

• jonny, Wayne and LeoVictoria like this

#1392 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps and her council are challenging residents to take part in a community-wide fast on May 25 to mark Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar.

I'm sorry, but When TF did it become appropriate for City Council to recommend to residents to adopt religious practices?

“I think it’s really important for council to be able to be here standing alongside the Muslim community. We do this with the Jewish community at Hanukkah. We do it with the Christian Community at Christmas,” she said.

Yeah, but do they, though?  Do they "challenge" residents to accept Christ at Christmas?  I've never heard of Lisa asking us to give something up for Lent.  Or to keep Sabbath for a month (imagine all of the freed up parking!)?  I get that they want to make the Muslim community feel at home in Victoria.  But to challenge residents to starve themselves in a year in which even most Muslims find it difficult to fast (Ramadan is always toughest in spring/summer, with the increasing hours of daylight)?  This smacks of writing letters to Vladimir Putin, wagging its collective finger at their curbing of gay rights.  Church and state are separate here for a reason.  Seriously Lisa and Co., stay in your lane.  

http://www.timescolo...fast-1.23305250

Edited by Bob Fugger, 17 May 2018 - 10:47 AM.

• Nparker, rjag, LJ and 9 others like this

#1393 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

^ Helps has a pattern. When you hear her say that she is acting on someone else's suggestion then it is code for her followers.

This is about Helps uniting her supporters through division and hate. She wants to provoke a reaction like ours so that she can point to us as intolerant and ask her supporters for their help in her fight.

How about asking Muslim's to attend Easter mass next year or JW's to give their kids XMAS presents? All someone needs to do is suggest it to her.

Aside from the idea of infidels trying to co-opt an important Muslim period as their own, most Muslim's I know are not in a rush to draw attention to themselves. The Iman who let Helps play him is a fool unfortunately.

Edited by spanky123, 17 May 2018 - 11:48 AM.

• Nparker, jonny, Nostalgic Victoria and 1 other like this

#1394 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:10 PM

Just more virtue signaling. If they had left it with just recognizing Ramadan and a little bit of explanation of its significance then it would have looked appropriate. Challenging folks belittles and demeans the significance of the event
  • Nparker, spanky123 and Wayne like this

#1395 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

looks like Ramadan is really going to blow up this year!

#1396 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

I'm sorry, but When TF did it become appropriate for City Council to recommend to residents to adopt religious practices?

Yeah, but do they, though?  Do they "challenge" residents to accept Christ at Christmas?  I've never heard of Lisa asking us to give something up for Lent.  Or to keep Sabbath for a month (imagine all of the freed up parking!)?  I get that they want to make the Muslim community feel at home in Victoria.  But to challenge residents to starve themselves in a year in which even most Muslims find it difficult to fast (Ramadan is always toughest in spring/summer, with the increasing hours of daylight)?  This smacks of writing letters to Vladimir Putin, wagging its collective finger at their curbing of gay rights.  Church and state are separate here for a reason.  Seriously Lisa and Co., stay in your lane.  

Well, it's official - LDH is Victoria's dhimmi of the year and decade.

#1397 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

I've been the menorah lighting downtown on the first night of Hannukah several times and have never seen Lisa there. 

Edited by John M., 17 May 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#1398 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

I couldn't go without food all day, lol. My stomach would create a disturbance and I'd likely pass out. No thanks. Helps can stick it.

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#1399 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

I couldn't go without food all day, lol. My stomach would create a disturbance and I'd likely pass out. No thanks. Helps can stick it.

That's all you really needed to say.

#1400 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

What’s missing from that article is a quote where she actually challenged the community to do the fast. Seems like council is doing it which I don’t see a problem with. Where did she say she wants the community to join in?

I assume it was said at one point or they wouldn’t have printed it but a quote would be nice to back up the headline.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 17 May 2018 - 03:32 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users