Photo

City of Victoria - 2014-2018 Mayor and Council General Discussion Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1722 replies to this topic

#1701 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:42 PM

We've walked through the Englisher Garten in Munich with nude folks sprawled around. Also visited naturist beaches in France. It was great, nothing nicer than going into the warm Mediterranean without a clammy tight bathing suit on. As for alcohol, nice to have it in a park in Paris, that's for sure.

• jasmineshinga likes this

#1702 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

^ A lot of single use plastic there, that would never work here.

PC bee-ess getting in the way of enjoying life. The euros are way ahead of us on recycling etc. EU countries generate less than 50% of the landfill trash than we do and they eat and drink to their heart's content without guilt and finger-pointing by the pleasure-challenged.

#1703 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:18 AM

^ A lot of single use plastic there, that would never work here.

PC bee-ess getting in the way of enjoying life. The euros are way ahead of us on recycling etc. EU countries generate less than 50% of the landfill trash than we do and they eat and drink to their heart's content without guilt and finger-pointing by the pleasure-challenged.

Yeah, but Germans are very orderly and regimented. There's a lot of stuff they do there that if it was implemented here all hell would break loose. Imagine if Beacon Hill Park had a nude section.

Which speaks to our immaturity and general rube-ness.

#1704 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

^Supposedly, Prohibition in the US killed off European-style consumption of fancy ports, fine scotches, apertifs and digestifs and after repeal Americans instead went right to cheap bottom-shelf beers and bourbons and it's only been in recent decades Americans have again appreciated a variety of fine spirits.

#1705 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

When we've been in Germany, France and the UK, going grocery shopping to do our cooking in apts. we've generated the same amount of waste as here. We have breakfast, pack a lunch, and cook dinner. Seems the same to me.

#1706 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:03 AM

The author of this letter wrote into the TC to commend the CoV on new bike lanes in downtown Victoria.

...Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps and the council have done a good job, more so than previous councils...

Bernd Ziruss

Saanich

Notice where they are from.  :whyme:

#1707 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:13 AM

The author of this letter wrote into the TC to commend the CoV on new bike lanes in downtown Victoria.
Notice where they are from. :whyme:

Sounds like he’s writing verbatim from the song book
  • Nparker likes this

#1708 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

For everyone who has ever dreamed of being both an artist and part of a bureaucracy* here's your rare opportunity:

https://www.victoria...t-laureate.html

*Jeremy Loveday 
notwithstanding

#1709 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:17 AM

How long does it take to become effective?

A Framework for Effectiveness  

A Report on Victoria & Esquimalt Policing - January 31, 2012

https://www2.gov.bc....lt-policing.pdf

#1710 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:42 PM

I had a great chat with Councillor Coleman a couple of days ago.

He had a poignant take on Victoria’s political climate, saying that we’re witnessing complete polarization and the middle ground has all but disappeared (the middle ground being the typical majority that is neither vehemently opposed nor vehemently in support of every issue.

He’s been at this game since 1985!
  • Nparker, rjag, Bernard and 3 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1711 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:28 PM

He had a poignant take on Victoria’s political climate, saying that we’re witnessing complete polarization and the middle ground has all but disappeared (the middle ground being the typical majority that is neither vehemently opposed nor vehemently in support of every issue.

I don't know about the middle ground, but the local political scene is getting stranger.

In many parts of the world, a candidate like Hammond would possibly be seen as a leftie, in other parts of Canada I'm guessing he'd be seen as moderate-centre-left. But only in Victoria could he be painted as a right winger.

Not sure the root cause, but I suspect that the full-on lunatic voices that emanate too loudly from certain parts of UVic have been allowed to first infiltrate and then slowly come to dominate the Victoria political scene. I mean the type of people that even most folks at UVic would dismiss as wingnuts.

Not sure how this happened; but when you let voices like Bernie Paulie, Ashley Mollison,Isitt and others ramble on too much in the local media, perhaps the crazy viewpoints start to become normalized.

I knew a lot of people at UVic when Ben was launching his first mayoral run and there was a lot of eye-rolling and snickering going on at the prospect. But here we are now and he's a popular councillor.

Dear God... what if 10 years from now, I find myself looking back on the Helps era as a time of sanity and thoughtful governance???
  • NotHudsonMack and Cassidy like this

#1712 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:51 PM

... what if 10 years from now, I find myself looking back on the Helps era as a time of sanity and thoughtful governance???

If that happens hopefully the bright flash and mushroom cloud won't be far behind.

• NotHudsonMack and rmpeers like this

#1713 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,965 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:17 PM

it’s not becoming more polar. it’s just that the extremes are heard more often - or easily - now. through social media etc. middle grounders do not start facebook pages organize rallies operate gofundmes or get media coverage easily. yet most people still sit in the middle. quietly.

take for example 15 to 30 homeless people making news every time they move camp. the other 1500 homeless people in town never make news. with every article online about the camp you see dozens of extreme posts for and against them. but hundreds or even thousands of people read the online article and do not comment. the middle. quiet.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2018 - 06:23 PM.

• NotHudsonMack and Awaiting Juno like this

#1714 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:43 PM

Hmmm. And I guess that amplification is what’s becoming a grind politically. I’m sure the last four years were more challenging for the councillor than many other terms, combined.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1715 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:14 PM

Dear God... what if 10 years from now, I find myself looking back on the Helps era as a time of sanity and thoughtful governance???

You can apply that logic to some of the former Mayors of Victoria. 

#1716 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:59 AM

Why Victoria's mayoral race is about the city's changing character

https://www.cbc.ca/n...racter-1.486160

#1717 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:20 AM

CBC screwed up that link; here is the correct story:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...acter-1.4861601

An overview of all the races. No revelations, more like an introduction for those who haven't been following as well as a primer for interested non-Victorians.

#1718 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:31 AM

^ That was a bit of a scattered article. 

Keep your head down while reading it...there are bits and pieces flying everywhere.

• NotHudsonMack and rmpeers like this

#1719 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:13 AM

A great response letter in today's TC: https://www.timescol...week-1.23481249

• rjag likes this

#1720 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:32 AM

A great response letter in today's TC: https://www.timescol...week-1.23481249

The only thing I disagree with David, as a CoV resident, is the amalgamation piece. I can definitely see his perspective (what Saanich resident in their right mind would want to get grouped into the dumpster fire that is the CoV), but I am desperate to get some of those 120,000 voters to help boot some of the more interesting members of CoV council to the curb. I have to imagine that a joint Victoria-Saanich council would result in, at the very least, a tiny bit more centrist standing.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users