Costco Langford gas station | Completed

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

If you haven't heard, Costco will be starting construction of a new members only gas station in Langford hopefully this month. It should open by the end of May.

Expect falling gas prices in the CRD (finally!!!!!!!)

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

that's awesome!!! I'll drive out there from town every time I need to fill up

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:01 AM

^^ We have many co-op gas stations with lower prices for members and they have had zero impact on gas prices, this will be the same.

#4 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

When I go to Costco in Washington state, their gas is 10% cheaper than anywhere else.

#5 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

that's awesome!!! I'll drive out there from town every time I need to fill up

You might as well keep driving till you hit Mill Bay. No transit tax.

#6 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

^^ We have many co-op gas stations with lower prices for members and they have had zero impact on gas prices, this will be the same.

I would argue that the Coop stations are having an impact, there is an ever increasing number of people going to them and they are expanding in the region. I suspect in time we will see much higher loyalty bonuses from other stations in the region as long as Coop continues to grow.

In the 1980s Payless had enough of an impact with their pricing and loyalty program that for years Victoria had gasoline prices 10-20% cheaper than in the lower mainland.

I remain surprised at how consistent prices are in this city given some of the local geographic issues. James Bay has a single gas station, Fairfield has two, neither one is jacking up the prices. There is not a single gas station in Oak Bay. In fact, the South and East part of this city has very few gas stations.

Using Fort and Richmond as the boundaries:
Shell at Fort and Fernwood
Esso in James Bay
Shell at Fairfield and Cook
Something at the Fairfield plaza
Something at the Cadboro Bay plaza
Chevron at the entrance to UVic

If we go west to Quadra this only adds:
2 gas stations at Quadra and McKenzie
Shell at Quadra and Falmouth
2 gas stations at McKenzie and Shelbourne
One at Quadra and Cook/Cloverdale

I think that is it, which is not a lot for the more developed and populated part of the city. It surprises me that the stations do not gouge in this region given the lack of competition.
2 gas stations at Shelbourne and Hillside

#7 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:13 AM

^ There is another Chevron at Shelbourne and Opal and the Shell on Fort/Yates Y.

#8 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

^ There is another Chevron at Shelbourne and Opal and the Shell on Fort/Yates Y.

Yeah...there is another station at Shelbourne and McKenzie (shell, esso, petro can)

Shelbourne and Hillside is a Petro, Esso, Chevron

also a Petro Can on Quadra at Cloverdale/Cook/Quadra

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

Yeah...there is another station at Shelbourne and McKenzie (shell, esso, petro can)

Shelbourne and Hillside is a Petro, Esso, Chevron

also a Petro Can on Quadra at Cloverdale/Cook/Quadra

I knew I posted too soon, yes there are three on those corners, also, is there not a Payless on Oak Bay ave just before Foul Bay?

Still I think there is a surprising small number of gas stations on the east side of the city. I can think of six former gas station locations on the east side of the city that are now gone even though there are more people and we drive more.

#10 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

I knew I posted too soon, yes there are three on those corners, also, is there not a Payless on Oak Bay ave just before Foul Bay?

Still I think there is a surprising small number of gas stations on the east side of the city. I can think of six former gas station locations on the east side of the city that are now gone even though there are more people and we drive more.

Haha, just adding to the count, you certainly do have a point though, for those more established regions of Victoria there are relatively few gas stations. In all honesty, I'd be interested to see the number of gas stations in the greater Victoria region and a per-captia comparison to such metro areas as Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton (perhaps there already is, I'm just too lazy to find it...?). I have lived/or spent large amount of time in all 3 of those cities I've always found coming back to Victoria it can be a stretch to find a gas station when you are low on fuel. Those aforementioned cities, I never had to drive far to fill up, unless I was trying to hunt the best deal, and burning up more fuel than I saved on money anyhow! :D

And yes there is another gas station on Oak Bay Ave. It is no longer a Payless, its been a Shell for a few years now (just before Foul Bay on the south side of the street) There is also an Esso on Fort St I believe you missed now that I think even further about it right around Oak Bay Junction

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

I remember those Payless money-back coupons in the 80s. Collecting them was practically addictive. They really did set the pace for the other stations--frequently triggering wild gas price wars. Costco might do it here, who knows.

#12 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

I remember those Payless money-back coupons in the 80s. Collecting them was practically addictive. They really did set the pace for the other stations--frequently triggering wild gas price wars. Costco might do it here, who knows.

I remember some days of gas for 8.9 cents a litre and you could still use the $2 off coupon for fills over 25 litres.

#13 DevelopmentGuy

DevelopmentGuy
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

I remember some days of gas for 8.9 cents a litre and you could still use the $2 off coupon for fills over 25 litres.

My God, you almost made me cry thinking about those days

#14 P.Schilling

P.Schilling
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

Costco won't do a thing to gas prices, reason being is the lack of tank farms on the island.

#15 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

I remember when gas was sold by the gallon. I'd put $2 worth in the tank.

#16 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

Costco won't do a thing to gas prices, reason being is the lack of tank farms on the island.

Costco doesn't buy most of their products on the island, so why do you think they will do that with gasoline? I suspect they will buy it directly from the refineries in Vancouver and truck it over.

Oh, and of course Payless never had any affect on gas prices on the island back in the day and the number of tank farms hasn't changed.

#17 P.Schilling

P.Schilling
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

lets put this simple as, there is a monopoly at the refining level of gas, there for if you look at the fuel comming onto the island concorde you will realize that its a uneasy mix of the major players. Essentially here in canada smaller companies such as FCL have to purchase from the larger companies primarly Imperial, Petro and Chevron. This all being said there is a wholesale market for refined gasoline amongst the major players, and since they are smarter this time and solved payless essentially costco is going to be forced to pull the line or risk being put out of buisness.

the only way they will offer any discount is A LA safeway style or Co-op style pick your poision but retail prices won't be going anywhere.

being that we are talking one gas station there is no way they are going to beable to buy enough litres for a shipment and even if they do where are they going to hold the excess litres?? I know for a fact Gorge Rd Co-op was one of the smallest stations in the chain and they are selling around 16,000 litres a day, when they first converted over they were lucky to sell 10,000 and a partial shipment lasted them 6 days. It takes much more than one station to do trips from vancouver, that is why i mention tank farms

For all you that are wondering, basically Co-op purchases its gasoline from everycompany but uses columbia fuels(AKA shell) to distribute product amongst them.

#18 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

I thought there was a slew of them at Bare Point in N.Cowichan.

48.925 N, 123.705 W in Google Earth.

At least, that's what I've been told the tanks are.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Doesn't Costco sell gas as a loss-leader to get people into the store?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

I don't know how much of a loss leader it is, in the states the Costco gas is 7-10 cents a gallon less than surrounding stations. That would be a couple of cents a litre - I don't know if anyone would drive out of their way for that.

Some of the grocery stores in Arizona give you 10 cents a gallon off if you buy $100 worth of groceries in a month, which makes it the same price as Costco's. Mind you at $1.83 a gallon it all seems cheap.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users