West Shore Express Passenger Ferry | Royal Bay to Victoria

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#281 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 06:03 AM

Just for this crazy idea, Martin should be voted out.

#282 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2022 - 01:18 PM

We need to focus on creating more jobs on the West Shore, is what we need to do.

And how would that help the CoV/downtown?

#283 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 01:27 PM

Why do we need to “help” the downtown?

Regions/neighbourhoods should exist on their own merit.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2022 - 01:28 PM.

#284 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 05:03 PM

City of Victoria is doing a great job of helping its businesses fail. 

• Nparker likes this

#285 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:13 AM

The Westshore is currently putting the City of Victoria to shame in the shopping, dining, parking and entertainment departments. 

If I lived in the Westshore (which I don't), the last thing I'd want is a job that required me to come into tired, crime-ridden downtown Victoria.

There are elements of the Westshore that are approaching (or have reached) what could only be described as "spectacular" in the shopping and dining sectors.

And despite the ongoing condo boom in downtown Victoria, nothing I've seen (and I'm downtown every workday) remotely qualifies for the descriptor "spectacular".

I use the Bay Centre and the surrounding streets and businesses as a marker for what's happening downtown, and the Bay Centre is essentially empty, with closed up stores, no foot traffic of note, and a food court (where pre-COVID you couldn't find a seat at lunch) that sits essentially empty all day long.

The Westshore Town Centre/Langford Parkway by comparison ... is exciting, vibrant, busy, and expanding daily.

By example, Canada's stalwart music store, Long & McQuade began out in Colwood many decades ago, moved into Victoria to "improve" business ... but is now expanding back into the Westshore and into a brand new purpose built store that will be larger than the downtown Victoria store (which will remain in place). 

The positive Westshore vibe is undeniable, and planning multi-million dollar transit projects intended and designed to bring Westshore residents into the tired, crime-ridden core that is downtown Victoria seems utterly counterproductive, and a massive step backwards for the region.

Edited by Spy Black, 15 October 2022 - 07:39 AM.

• Barrrister likes this

#286 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:34 AM

Anyone noticed the big ad above the Bay Centre’s Douglas entrance for Blo Victoria? It’s not very flattering.

The way infrastructure has been mishandled by stick handling municipalities is leading to a mutiny among workers. People -hate- driving and commuting into Victoria. Transit is sub-par, the roads are being dieted, commutes are getting longer, and that’s with 50% of downtown workers working from home. All of these things have consequences and it’s only a matter of time before employers find it hard to draw workers into the downtown. It’s already happening, just not in large enough numbers yet as so many people are working from home.

Even UVic recognizes it needs a West Shore presence now. Remember how only a few years ago they were going to create a downtown campus? That failed to materialize. Now a $100 million campus is being built on Goldstream.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#287 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:34 AM

Downtown Victoria is turning into condos, coffee shops and druggies. 

#288 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:36 AM

Downtown Victoria is turning into condos, coffee shops and druggies. 

2/3 of that formula is fine, assuming the first can support the second.

#289 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:38 AM

What the Langford Now candidates don’t realize is you can’t create a desirable place without visionaries that also have connections to make things happen. Can you imagine if Together Victoria was running Langford?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#290 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:38 AM

Not sure how fine that formula is for people who live in the condos.

#291 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:41 AM

Mayor Martin in Colwood is approaching the ferry the wrong way. He will need to devote acres of land for parking lots, only to move people to jobs where they don’t want the jobs. The ferry should be more focused on connecting 200,000 people in the core to Royal Bay, not the other way around. Build offices there, where the population growth is happening and where West Shore residents can easily commute to with only a few new transit routes. Not every provincial ministry has to be downtown, like as though it’s 1950.
  • GaryOak likes this

Know it all.

#292 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:45 AM

Not sure how fine that formula is for people who live in the condos.

Unless they were blackmailed or otherwise threatened, they chose to live in downtown condos. Disincentivize drug culture and introduce intelligence to the CoV council and downtown Victoria wouldn't be a bad place to live and work.

• FogPub likes this

#293 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:45 AM

Anyone noticed the big ad above the Bay Centre’s Douglas entrance for Blo Victoria? It’s not very flattering.

There is definitely a desperation component to facilities placing large ads visible on main thoroughfares for businesses operating in the same facility, but on side streets (Blo is on the narrow, rarely used side street formerly known as a main East/West downtown thoroughfare called Fort Street)

It also begs the question as to whether it's a violation of the Victoria By-Law preventing third party business signage in locations other than the frontage of the actual business the sign is representing?

#294 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 07:54 AM

I think seeing that business name so prominently above the entrance is kind of tacky. It’s not a very flattering phrase, and for it to be so prominent is kinda small-town ish. Vancouver wouldn’t have a giant banner at its major shopping centre promoting Blo Vancouver, I don’t think? It’s just a negative connotation.

Know it all.

#295 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 08:00 AM

Vancouver wouldn’t have a giant banner at its major shopping centre promoting Blo Vancouver, I don’t think? It’s just a negative connotation.

I agree ... the tacky connotations of the nomenclature didn't escape me, I was attempting to tie such a sign placement ever further into the apparent slow demise of The Bay Centre.

• Mike K. likes this

#296 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 08:24 AM

...I was attempting to tie such a sign placement ever further into the apparent slow demise of The Bay Centre.

You're not wrong.

#297 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 01:12 PM

There are a lot of people whose jobs depend on the continued presence of the drug users being downtown. Sadly, they are a political force to be reckoned with. 

#298 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 04:35 AM

One would hope that with the former Colwood Mayor thoroughly defeated in the last election, talk about this ferry can come to an end.

One of the major disadvantages of not having a regional transportation authority is the lack of a regional voice when seeking funding for transportation projects.

Examples include commuter rail services on the E&N and a sea bus service from Royal Bay to Victoria. A regional authority would give the CRD a means of reaching decisions and would provide a single voice when seeking senior government funding.

How would a Capital Region Transportation Authority work?

https://www.timescol...-cities-6647903

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2023 - 04:35 AM.

#299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 08:12 AM

Like our sewage plant :)
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#300 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 08:15 AM

The City of Victoria is doing its best to make sure that jobs leave the city so that people no longer have to commute into the city.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users