BUILT
Turnberry
Use: subdivision
Address: Champions Court at Bear Mountain Parkway
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Turnberry is a two phase, 51 home subdivision at the Bear Mountain development in the municipality of Langford... (view full profile)
Learn more about Turnberry on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford + Highlands] Bear Mountain | 4,000 homes | U/C

• Please log in to reply
2177 replies to this topic

#2101 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:53 PM

If you're going for a hike, why do you need a car?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#2102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:20 PM

A lot of 15 minute neighbourhooders are bending the rules by spending so much time at Bear Mountain.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2103 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,020 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:38 PM

It's more of a pissing contest between the golf owner and the hotel owner than anything else, IMO.

It does sound like that, the hotels "have not signed on".

The neighbouring hotels were also asked about joining a resort pass program but declined, according to Doyle.

https://www.vancouve...cut-off-access/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 May 2023 - 09:39 PM.

#2104 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:50 PM

A lot of 15 minute neighbourhooders are bending the rules by spending so much time at Bear Mountain.

Yeah because, unlike what some people in this forum believe, 15 minute communities aren't 15 minute prisons.
  • Matt R. and Danma like this

#2105 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,020 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:15 PM

Eco Oasis says it wants people looking for a free hike to consider other options.

“There are access points to the same property at different locations that private property trespass is not required,” said Matthews.

He says while this fee program could change, they’re unwilling to put in parking fees as a way to charge for trail access.

“We’ve always been against a parking fee,” said Matthews.

The charge for trail access begins June 1. Matthews says Bear Mountain golf marshalls will be enforcing that both day and resident wristbands will be worn.

https://www.cheknews...idents-1154357/

#2106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 05:57 AM

Yeah because, unlike what some people in this forum believe, 15 minute communities aren't 15 minute prisons.

I thought Bear Mountain was the prison?

We need to settle on the prison thing here, because there are a lot of escapees heading for Langford suburbs these days. What are they getting in Langford that they’re not getting in Fernwood?
  • lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2107 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:47 AM

Well at least Fernwood has easy access to the joys of Pandora Ave.

• Nparker likes this

#2108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:57 AM

And you can bus from there to Bear Mountain. Who would have thought, car-centric Bear Mountain is a hiking hot-spot, because you can bus there.

Know it all.

#2109 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 01:41 PM

Eh, I know where I'm not spending my time or money then, simply put. My dad is coming to town August for some golf, we'll go play another course.

• GaryOak likes this

#2110 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:05 PM

Eh, I know where I'm not spending my time or money then, simply put. My dad is coming to town August for some golf, we'll go play another course.

Hate to break this to you but they don't care. They are all about members & some tournament play. Day players are too much work for too little money.

• Barrrister likes this

#2111 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,020 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:08 PM

Presumably they can set their day rate or green fees wherever they want. If it’s $350 so be it. At some price it’s worth entertaining.

I think it’s $269 today.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 May 2023 - 03:09 PM.

#2112 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 07:21 PM

If you're going for a hike, why do you need a car?

I'm not going for a hike, you were the one that wanted to.

I'll go for a drive instead.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2113 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 07:23 PM

It does sound like that, the hotels "have not signed on".

https://www.vancouve...cut-off-access/

The hotel announced today that they would be running a free shuttle to the Goldstream entrance, so it is confirmed to be a pissing contest.

• Matt R., GaryOak and Victoria Watcher like this

#2114 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 06:11 AM

I imagine that they will be running the free shuttle for about one season and then discouver almost no one uses it who actually stays at the hotel.

#2115 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:59 AM

Hate to break this to you but they don't care. They are all about members & some tournament play. Day players are too much work for too little money.

Yeah, you're probably right.

#2116 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,602 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 10:20 AM

Was talking with my sister and BIL last night who are long time BM resident and yes it does indeed appear to be peeing contest between one of the Ecoasis principals and the owner of the Westin hotel; I gather the former is trying to make things difficult for the latter by preventing his hotel guests from having carte blanche access to the trail presumably to inconvenience and "embarass" the hotelier.

As residents they are as unhappy as anyone about the situation but obviously there is nothing they or any other resident can do about it.

#2117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 11:01 AM

Can someone explain what this so-called match is all about?

It seems like Ecoasis wants the hotel to charge a fee for trail access. It’s common now to have additional fees levied at resorts.

Know it all.

#2118 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,020 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 11:14 AM

Hotel tells guests to feel free to use the “free trails” nearby and up to the mountain.

Ecoasis cries foul.

Typical feud.

Easy to see points on both sides.

Nothing a gondola can’t solve though.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 June 2023 - 11:37 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#2119 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 11:34 AM

If the hotel was advertising or telling its guests that the trails were a feature of the hotel then I can really see the company's point. If I was running an AirB andB and telling my guests that they can use the neighbours pool they would be upset as well.

• Mike K. likes this

#2120 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 07:48 PM

The worst business decision ever made was Ecoasis selling the hotel to raise some capital. They lost so much by this stupidity. They lost their parking lot, stair access from the hotel lobby to the pro-shop, no kitchen to provide food, no ability to offer stay and play packages etc. etc. 

They did gain a bunch of lawsuits though.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)