Photo

CBC | Radio, television

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

#341 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

So now that Mansbridge is leaving, maybe Jian Ghomeshi will come back to take his place?

:P

#342 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:30 AM

I'm hoping for Ian Hanomansing, too.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#343 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:13 AM

I'm hoping for Ian Hanomansing, too.

I can barely watch him. He uses 200 words to ask a question.

#344 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

So now that Mansbridge is laving, maybe Jian Ghomeshi will come back to take his place?

Well, hello there....this is The National....
  • Matt R. likes this

#345 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

In this excerpt from Secret Life: The Jian Ghomeshi Investigation, Kevin Donovan describes the Q host’s last show and the explosive meeting between his lawyer and CBC amid rumours of a big story breaking.

https://www.thestar....bc-a-shock.html

#346 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

http://business.fina...g-to-go-ad-free

‘We have no other tools’: CBC asks Ottawa for more than $300 million in new funding to go ad free

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#347 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:28 PM

“Canada today is the third-worst-funded public broadcaster in the world,” said Heather Conway, CBC’s executive vice president of english services, in an interview with the Financial Post. “I think its an important conversation for Canadians to have, to decide whether they want public broadcasting or not. If we don’t shift the financial model for supporting public broadcasting, there is a question as to its ultimate survival.”

Golly, that's a bit rich.

The CBC says the $318 million figure it is requesting will act as a “replacement” if the broadcaster were to eliminate advertising, noting it would require $253 million to make up for ad revenue and $105 million to produce content to fill the gaps in air time left open free of ads. Going ad-free would also save $40 million that would otherwise be spent selling ads.

$105M to fill the gaps?   Come on...  Use the Christmas fireplace log show!  I think it's free on YouTube.

Or a Rick Astley loop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukdiH4bs7fA

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#348 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

http://www.msn.com/e...b9&ocid=DELLDHP

Peter Mansbridge retiring after 50 years. He will be missed.

#349 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

I guess you could say very few Canadians watch him each night though:

The National has an average nightly audience of 525,000 viewers this season on so-called linear television. By comparison, CTV National News with Lisa LaFlamme, the top-rated newscast in the country, pulls in an average of 1 million viewers. (The numbers, provided by both networks, do not include repeats or showings on CBC News Network and CTV News Channel, respectively.)

3x more people watch America's Got Talent each night it's on.  (1.7m).

http://assets.numeri... (National).pdf

CBC News is not even in the top-30 Canadian shows.  The Young and The Restless has more Canadian viewers each day.

Peter Mansbridge is no Victor Newman...

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 June 2017 - 11:59 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#350 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

http://www.msn.com/e...b9&ocid=DELLDHP

Peter Mansbridge retiring after 50 years. He will be missed.

Probably not missed for long the next day he will be old news and some one will replace him. the days of 50 year careers are gone. Look at the turnover in a place like Global. Steve Darling is a good example. Fired then tries to become a politician fails at that. He is long forgotten there. They want new faces and often. Wish teh would get rid of teh weather girlr Krist Gordon and bring back the nice® Kate Kadjosick

Edited by HB, 25 June 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#351 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

Say what you will about CBC TV news but they produce a very good product, their foreign correspondents in particular. They have
top female international reporters: Adrienne Arsenault, Margaret Evans, Nahla Ayed and the peerless Susan Ormiston.
They go to the dangerous places like Aleppo, Sudan and other hellholes.
They don't chopper in, talk to generals or political hacks then chopper back to the luxury hotel like the Yankee nets do. Nor do they do safe studio voiceovers from the feeds. And they don't set up yelling matches among partisan windbags to manufacture fake controversy in an attempt to boost ratings.
They are on the ground, often in flak vests, with gunfire nearby.
They get the real stories, not the spin and they take risks to get those stories. They are all well over 40 years old and much more than prettyfaces. They are totally professional, highly experienced reporters and I doubt any other North American network can match them.

Edited by johnk, 25 June 2017 - 04:26 PM.

• Rob Randall, gstc84, Janion Fan and 1 other like this

#352 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

^ and for all that, including the government subsidy that allows them to do it, almost nobody watches them.  Well, 1 out of every 60 Canadians watches them.   The rest have other interests.  59 out of every 60 Canadians do not watch.

Walk into your favourite corner bistro on Sunday afternoon.  Chances are none of the customer and none of the staff ever watch the CBC news.

Head to the next Elton John concert at the arena.  7,000+ in attendance, only 100 of them watch CBC News. 

The National has an average nightly audience of 525,000 viewers this season on so-called linear television. By comparison, CTV National News with Lisa LaFlamme, the top-rated newscast in the country, pulls in an average of 1 million viewers. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 June 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#353 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

Say what you will about CBC TV news but they produce a very good product, their foreign correspondents in particular. They have
top female international reporters: Adrienne Arsenault, Margaret Evans, Nahla Ayed and the peerless Susan Ormiston.
They go to the dangerous places like Aleppo, Sudan and other hellholes.
They don't chopper in, talk to generals or political hacks then chopper back to the luxury hotel like the Yankee nets do. Nor do they do safe studio voiceovers from the feeds. And they don't set up yelling matches among partisan windbags to manufacture fake controversy in an attempt to boost ratings.
They are on the ground, often in flak vests, with gunfire nearby.
They get the real stories, not the spin and they take risks to get those stories. They are all well over 40 years old and much more than prettyfaces. They are totally professional, highly experienced reporters and I doubt any other North American network can match them.

Well said, johnk. A Like This wasn't enough. 

• VicHockeyFan and Rob Randall like this

#354 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:21 PM

If they are in flak vests and nobody cares, it seems extreme behaviour to do for a mostly government-funded paycheque.

#355 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

If they are in flak vests and simple, incurious people don't care, it seems extreme behaviour to do for a mostly government-funded paycheque.

FTFY
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#356 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

Feel like I have to chime in as any mention of the CBC gets my blood boiling. Total hacks. Radical left wing ideologues from top to bottom trying to indoctrinate the general public with their cancerous TV shows and their biased fake news. They are certainly not interested in the truth. In fact as left wing post modernists the concept of something being true probably offends them. THANK GOD they are failing commercially. My analysis; defund immediately. Oh maxime bernier, what wonderful things could have been...

#357 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

wow, uhm, ok

#358 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

Spot the person incapable of sustaining a conversation about current affairs at a cocktail party.
  • Matt R., Jill, Hotel Mike and 4 others like this

#359 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:00 PM

Spot the person incapable of sustaining a conversation about current affairs at a cocktail party.

Nah, I went to school and work in Victoria after all. I know how to act like a regular sidwright.vic when the situation calls for it
  • Matt R. likes this

#360 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:29 AM

^ and for all that, including the government subsidy that allows them to do it, almost nobody watches them.  Well, 1 out of every 60 Canadians watches them.   The rest have other interests.  59 out of every 60 Canadians do not watch.

...on TV, at least. Speaking purely anecdotally here, but among my friend group (mostly in the 28-35 age range), I'd estimate less than 25% of us have cable, but most of us watch CBC news online. I occasionally watch Global News online. Almost never watched CTV and don't really recall hearing friends talk about any CTV reports. CBC seems to be the go-to.

So perhaps fewer folks watch them in the traditional way, but they seem to have done better at adapting and staying relevant for the millennial generation.

• Matt R. and Jill like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users