Photo

CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#1261 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:47 AM

I picked up a tiny Sony AM/FM Walkman at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. It's tiny; a little bigger than a matchbox, powered by a single AAA battery. No charging, no subscription, no data fees, no streaming hiccups. I highly recommend keeping an eye out for one. But I don't have it with me today!

• Mike K. likes this

#1262 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:54 AM

Facebook stream buffered?  Looks like they're just doing introductions.

https://www.facebook...29125094502985/

#1263 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:16 AM

Ah, that's better. It also allows us to see how badly they dress.

• sebberry likes this

#1264 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:33 AM

Helps using her time to ask Rymo about community culture.  Wouldn't want to ask a serious candidate about anything critical...

• Nparker, rjag, grantpalin and 2 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1265 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:34 AM

Helps using her time to ask Rymo about community culture.  Wouldn't want to ask a serious candidate about anything critical...

Rymo is to Helps what Elizabeth May was to Trudeau in 2015.  A prop to make her look more reasonable in comparison

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

#1266 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. His questions and reactions came off as complimentary, although I doubt he had intended to come across that way.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1267 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:06 AM

Helps question to Rymo was totally staged! Absolute softball because any question to legitimate candidates will simply show her weakness

• kjf and sebberry like this

#1268 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:41 PM

I physically phoned C-Fax (yep they have an actual regular line) and I got Al Feraby on the phone. He told me the outage effected the Online Streaming, but the regular radio was back on rather soon. But the Online was out for the entire debate and then for some hours afterwords as well.

Hmmmm.......something fishy about that suddenly happening. And it just happened to be at the exact moment the debate was to start.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 02 October 2018 - 03:42 PM.

• rmpeers likes this

#1269 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:49 PM

Sorry maybe I'm a little buzzed because it was a very long day of endless project meetings that have fried a few brain cells - so please excuse me if I find it somewhat amusing that a conversation on the CFAX/iHeart radio thread is all lit up because the online streaming feature for this interview wasn't working.

Ra-di-o. Say it with me quickly gang - Radio!! Now more slowly......RAY-DEE-O....

Question: what will you techno-wizards do for emergency broadcast information when this entire region get smacked across the chops by the Big One and the interweb - and most of the infrastructure supporting it - is a steaming heap of collapsed and fiery rubble and junk? If you're smart you will have - you guessed it - a battery powered radio on hand. Possibly more than one, and even (perhaps) one with the capability of plugging into a wall socket. Can you imagine? No doubt any millennial's here are cringing at the thought....

Now I've now sat down with some freshly popped popcorn on hand - so by all means please do continue to regale me about Ms Helps' dazzling performance today..... :)

#1270 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:50 PM

Sorry maybe I'm a little buzzed because it was a very long day of endless project meetings that have fried a few brain cells - so please excuse me if I find it somewhat amusing that a conversation on the CFAX/iHeart radio thread is all lit up because the online streaming feature for this interview wasn't working.

Ra-di-o. Say it with me quickly gang - Radio!! Now more slowly......RAY-DEE-O....

Question: what will you techno-wizards do for emergency broadcast information when this entire region get smacked across the chops by the Big One and the interweb - and most of the infrastructure supporting it - is a steaming heap of collapsed and fiery rubble and junk? If you're smart you will have - you guessed it - a battery powered radio on hand. Possibly more than one, and even (perhaps) one with the capability of plugging into a wall socket. Can you imagine? No doubt any millennial's here are cringing at the thought....

Now I've now sat down with some freshly popped popcorn on hand - so by all means please do continue to regale me about Ms Helps' dazzling performance today..... :)

There would have to be quite the disaster to knock out all available cell phone reception

#1271 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:57 PM

There would have to be quite the disaster to knock out all available cell phone reception

Any disaster preparedness professional - not to mention the military, upon whom much will depend in that eventuality - will tell you that rule number 1 is that you have a good old fashioned battery powered radio on hand in the event of a major regional disaster. Willing to bet your life or family members' lives on the cell system still working after a 9.0+ earthquake? I'm certainly not. Anyway this was meant to be strictly tongue in cheek and not to hijack the thread. Apparently you missed that. Carry on.....

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1272 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:08 PM

There are 2-3 single points of contact that would wipe out pretty well all cellular and internet service for the South Island. I know because I housed 1 of them 😉 all it will take is 1 or 2 towers or telephone polls in the right spots to collapse and we’re baked. By way of example do you remember the Thanksgiving Day power outage that took out the whole South Island for more than 6 hours? Not much has changed
  • AllseeingEye, sebberry, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#1273 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:20 PM

There are 2-3 single points of contact that would wipe out pretty well all cellular and internet service for the South Island. I know because I housed 1 of them all it will take is 1 or 2 towers or telephone polls in the right spots to collapse and we’re baked. By way of example do you remember the Thanksgiving Day power outage that took out the whole South Island for more than 6 hours? Not much has changed

i remember that!, i remember thinking i was glad we did our turkey the day before, as i was pulling out the candles and flashlights

#1274 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:25 PM

I can't get Radio Reception in my office at work, so that's why I rely completely on internet streaming for C-Fax.

#1275 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

CFAX is “just” clearly audible out at my place. Online streaming comes across nice and clear.

AM radio signals are easily disturbed by other signals, it seems.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1276 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:55 PM

Sorry maybe I'm a little buzzed because it was a very long day of endless project meetings that have fried a few brain cells - so please excuse me if I find it somewhat amusing that a conversation on the CFAX/iHeart radio thread is all lit up because the online streaming feature for this interview wasn't working.

One of my favourite moments was when they chose a question and asked all the candidates to give their answer. First two went fine but when they got to the third guy it was "what was the question?"

I forget that guy's name but there was another point where he was interacting with RyMo, and RyMo seemed like the common-sense option. RyMo!

Definitely some popcorn-worthy moments. There was Ballcap Dude, The Artist Formerly Known as Changes the Clown, the "Is evil real" Bearded Guy, RyMo and then a few people who were actual candidates.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#1277 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:02 PM

There are 2-3 single points of contact that would wipe out pretty well all cellular and internet service for the South Island. I know because I housed 1 of them 😉 all it will take is 1 or 2 towers or telephone polls in the right spots to collapse and we’re baked. By way of example do you remember the Thanksgiving Day power outage that took out the whole South Island for more than 6 hours? Not much has changed

Interesting, but you can connect to US networks from various places in the region too

#1278 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:03 AM

There are 2-3 single points of contact that would wipe out pretty well all cellular and internet service for the South Island. I know because I housed 1 of them all it will take is 1 or 2 towers or telephone polls in the right spots to collapse and we’re baked. By way of example do you remember the Thanksgiving Day power outage that took out the whole South Island for more than 6 hours? Not much has changed

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rnado-1.4844158

Cell sites have short lifespans if there is no power, of course that assumes that they haven't been physically destroyed.

I have always wondered why a battery powered radio is considered such a good idea. What radio station/transmission tower will still be operable, and will they have back up power sufficient to transmit?

I have an old multi-band radio, thinking that there would be long distance coverage, say on short wave, but there is virtually no one left transmitting. Broadcasts by BBC World Service and Deutsche Welle have gone the way of the dodo.

#1279 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:09 AM

if we lose so much infrastructure that cell and electricity and stuff doesn't work then no message coming via am radio will not have any useful information anyway.  hunker down you have no supplies for a week or weeks is the message.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2018 - 07:09 AM.

#1280 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:10 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rnado-1.4844158

Cell sites have short lifespans if there is no power, of course that assumes that they haven't been physically destroyed.

I have always wondered why a battery powered radio is considered such a good idea. What radio station/transmission tower will still be operable, and will they have back up power sufficient to transmit?

I have an old multi-band radio, thinking that there would be long distance coverage, say on short wave, but there is virtually no one left transmitting. Broadcasts by BBC World Service and Deutsche Welle have gone the way of the dodo.

I believe as part of the local emergency plan there is still a requirement to have broadcast towers for coverage. Basically they are repeaters with generators (I'm not knowledgable about how it works but know they are part of the plan) 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users