CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#1281 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:32 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rnado-1.4844158

Cell sites have short lifespans if there is no power, of course that assumes that they haven't been physically destroyed.

I have always wondered why a battery powered radio is considered such a good idea. What radio station/transmission tower will still be operable, and will they have back up power sufficient to transmit?

I have an old multi-band radio, thinking that there would be long distance coverage, say on short wave, but there is virtually no one left transmitting. Broadcasts by BBC World Service and Deutsche Welle have gone the way of the dodo.

All of the military portable field radios can broadcast unencrypted FM radio. They don't usually because those frequencies are leased out to commercial radio stations by the CRTC. But should there be a disaster, the local Army reserve units have the capability and infrastructure to broadcast to the whole region by FM radio. 

Edited by Mattjvd, 03 October 2018 - 01:33 PM.

• Rob Randall and jasmineshinga like this

#1282 JasTou

JasTou
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

Astrid Braunschmidt shortly announced on her Facebook page that she is leaving CTV Vancouver Island News/ CFAX after tonight. She is moving on to the next chapter of her life. She will be missed, but wish her well

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#1283 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,799 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

she is taking a job at bc ferries hq.

#1284 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:18 PM

she is taking a job at bc ferries hq.

Some EX C-Fax hosts have gone on to do some very different jobs not related to broadcasting whatsoever.

Murray Langdon went on to Run and Operate Vancouver Island Brewery, and over at Chek Mary Beth Burton went on to work for BC Transit

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 13 October 2018 - 12:18 PM.

#1285 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:43 PM

Some EX C-Fax hosts have gone on to do some very different jobs not related to broadcasting whatsoever.

Murray Langdon went on to Run and Operate Vancouver Island Brewery, and over at Chek Mary Beth Burton went on to work for BC Transit

And Stephen Andrew is running for city councilor 

• rmpeers likes this

#1286 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,579 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:11 PM

Lots of (ex) media folks find life after an on air career - my dad back in the day (travel industry), Douglas Miller (ex CKVU weather dude and all around good guy, Lions Bay-Squamish real estate), Barry Houlihan (ex BCTV/Global sports, also real estate), Pamela Martin (ex BCTV news anchor, became a BCG communications director under Gordon Campbell's regime I think). 

A lot of ex media types have carved out careers as media consultants (Russ Froese, ex Global news anchor with the Red Cross). Then of course there is Steve Darling (*still* trying to successfully break into politics, heh...).

Good on Astrid; media especially today is a tough gig particularly with platform convergence and corporate consolidation. I know she is or was married, probably with a young family, a stint with BCF will seem like calm waters pardon the pun compared to the current corporate media climate in this country. Above all it will likely be a secure position.

I had a nice talk with Graham Hatch, one of Vancouver's best known current crop of radio biz guys, about five years ago. I was amazed how many different radio stations he'd been with in < a dozen years. And for the same reason why you routinely see prime time, well known news anchors on CTV/Global/BCTV periodically get the heave ho, i.e. money: make too much and the corporate money counters back East get nervous and inevitably pull the plug. Heading to "government" or a quasi-government gig like Ferries or Transit is perfectly understandable - its good coin, and compared to the uncertain climate of today's corporate media environment, relatively serene...

Edited by AllseeingEye, 13 October 2018 - 05:12 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1287 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:25 PM

The only TWO anchors on Check that I ever liked were Hudson Mack & Murray Langdon.  C-Fax, I liked Joe Easingwood   Heck if I can remember the main guy back on CKDA at the moment. 

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 13 October 2018 - 06:26 PM.

#1288 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,799 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:42 PM

CKDA%20Staff%20circa%201990.jpg

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#1289 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:45 PM

Realty seems to be the go-to profession for ex-broadcasters. Kim Emerson of C-FAX, Sarah Daniels (BCTV weather/traffic) and Alex Robertson (CHEK sports) have done it.

#1290 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:00 PM

CKDA%20Staff%20circa%201990.jpg

Clive Kitchener, Terry Griffiths etc.  The Guy at the top with Mustached an shades was Doug something, can't remember last name.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 13 October 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#1291 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

Right! And now she’s at Island Health.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1292 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:51 AM

Drew Snider (C-FAX, NewVI) went on to BC Transit/Translink.

#1293 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,799 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:59 AM

Right! And now she’s at Island Health.

formerly she also contracted to entities ran her own business.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2018 - 08:01 AM.

#1294 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:58 AM

Not sure how much she gets paid at CTV, but Astrid moving to BC Ferries is probably an increase in salary, with better benefits and a better pension.

If you look at the salary of Deborah Marshall the spokesperson for BC Ferries whenever they have a news release, it's sitting at $152,000 based on the 2014 disclosed salaries.

Name Marshall, Deborah Title Executive Director, Public Affairs Agency BC Ferries Sector Crown Corp. and Other Remuneration $152,559 Expenses   Year 2014 Notes  

http://www.vancouver...kToDetails=True

#1295 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:47 AM

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes when the cameras aren't rolling, but even half that salary would probably be fair for the work that's done. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1296 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,579 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:56 PM

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes when the cameras aren't rolling, but even half that salary would probably be fair for the work that's done. 

If its even half the work the communications people at our workplace does its likely earned; whenever a major project is rolled out - in our case the end of MSP premiums in January 2020 to cite one example - the comms people have a butt-load of work to do far and above any 'on camera' or public announcements such as radio spots etc. Last I checked in the case of that project it was over 300 pages of material and counting, all of which has to be scripted, vetted internally with the project team, confirmed, re-confirmed, re-written, edited and vetted again with the Ministry before finally being released into the public domain.

• rmpeers likes this

#1297 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:25 PM

So Mark Brennae is doing the stupid pillow ads now.

I hope Adam Stirling doesn't stoop to that level.

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1298 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:27 PM

So Mark Brennae is doing the stupid pillow ads now.

I hope Adam Stirling doesn't stoop to that level.

I heard that it means an extra fiver for the guys on each mention!

#1299 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:11 PM

I heard that it means an extra fiver for the guys on each mention!

I went to the "My Pillow" Website because Al Feraby would not stop talking about it, and it's kind of crap. He won't tell you how he makes his pillows, or what they are made of, and then there is this really difficult section when you go to order the pillow where you have to figure out what size pillow you want and what firmness you want. But you can't try them out before you buy them. So for that reason I thought the heck with My Pillow. And now Brennae has crossed over to the darkside and is doing the adds for it.

#1300 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:56 PM

Other stations re starting to pimp My Pillow too.  I don't understand the revenue stream.  It's not like it's something you would buy monthly......like tent cities.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users