Photo

McTavish Road / Highway 17 (Victoria International Airport) interchange | Completed April 2011

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:18 AM

Circular argument Mike - the airport is underused as there are few direct flights to even Canadian cities, let alone international destinations. Most people going by ferry to YVR for flights overseas, or down south, have worked out the cost of a Victoria flight connection is far more than taking BCF.

That's how it is with our family. 3 of us flying to Europe out of YVR and a YYJ vs BCF connection is 4 times the cost.

I've never flown directly out of Vancouver regardless of the price difference. But then again I've never flown anywhere where the price was high enough to justify a four hour drive and bcf combo to Vancouver Intl.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:01 AM

On most ticket combos on expedia it seems to be about a 100 to 150 dollar premium. As I have said many times it is about what you value. Time or money. In the last 2 years I have taken 4 international flights. We have flown three out of YYJ and one out of YVR. The one we did fly out of YVR the only reason we did was because our package deal couldn't include a Victoria departure and we combined a family Vancouver visit into the mix.

While I would like to see more flights from YYJ to cdn cities we do already have the following:

Kelowna - Edmonton - Regina
Calgary - Winnipeg
Toronto
Vancouver

I would like to see:
Prince George
Ottawa
Montreal

The more I have used YYJ the more I choose it over other options, it is just so much more convenient and if more people used it the cost of flights would go down.

#43 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

Also, as everyone seems to be forgetting to mention, the McKenzie/TCH connection is NOT in a provincially-held Liberal riding/federally-held Conservative riding. Like it or not, it was partisan politics that ultimately decided that the McTavish interchange would get built, moreso than any other factor.

Oh I already knew that.

On another point, I think when a rapid transit line gets built to Swartz Bay, the airport would make more sense as a stop along the way, than just a final destination. In this way you wont have to worry about the airport being the so generator of traffic.

#44 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Good point

#45 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:40 PM

Oh I already knew that.

On another point, I think when a rapid transit line gets built to Swartz Bay, the airport would make more sense as a stop along the way, than just a final destination. In this way you wont have to worry about the airport being the so generator of traffic.

A rail transit out to the ferry and stopping at the airport makes a lot of sense. Both the airport and ferry would provide on going and consistent two way traffic all day long

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

From MoT:

Hwy17 – McTavish Road Interchange – Construction of a New Interchange
The Ministry is proceeding with the detailed design and construction of a new interchange on Highway 17 at McTavish Road. The new interchange will improve access to and from the Victoria International Airport, as well as the safety of traffic operations in the area.

http://www.th.gov.bc...y17_mctavish_rd

#47 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:29 AM

God forbid that we should spend that money on improving public transit to the airport instead.

Speaking of which, here's a cute video about a successful ad campaign to increase airport-directed bus service in Sweden: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=k5o6oFQwLKA

#48 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

^ It will come, either way this interchange was needed.

#49 CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:18 AM

Preliminary drawing courtesy of the TC this morning:

http://www.timescolo...interchange.pdf

#50 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

:o that looks complicated... very nice :D

...& the story to go with it

Design plans unveiled for new highway interchange for Victoria airport
Construction cost estimate is $24 million

By Sandra McCulloch, Times Colonist
May 23, 2009 7:01 AM

Preliminary plans for the redesigned McTavish interchange, expected to improve access to Victoria International Airport, have been unveiled this week.

Construction on the $24-million project will begin next year and should be completed by the middle of 2011.

The plan calls for twin roundabouts to bracket the Patricia Bay Highway, and for elevating a section of McTavish Road over the highway.

The park-and-ride lot will be moved from north to south of the interchange.

The twin roundabouts were preferred by community members, including area municipalities, property owners, First Nations and cyclists, said Lisanne Bowness, spokeswoman for the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.

The public will have a chance to provide input at open houses starting in mid-June, she said, while the plan will go to North Saanich and Sidney councils in coming weeks.

The project was announced last month as part of the federal government's $12-billion, two-year stimulus package.

The interchange is expected to improve access to the airport, smooth out highway congestion, provide 150 jobs and reduce accidents.

http://www.timescolo...3615/story.html

#51 CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:31 AM

Complicated indeed.

Confused the hell outta me at first, but that was just the mouth-breather in me reacting to roundabouts and all the pedestrian underpasses; so many lines.... Once I had a cup of coffee and started to actually think, it all made sense.

Love the roundabouts.

They should re-build the one at Hillside and Douglas...

#52 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

Wow, that's the first UK-inspired 'motorway' interchange I've ever seen in BC. Looks like it flows great, hopefully the drivers can figure it out.

#53 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

Awesome!

#54 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

Meh.

#55 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:54 PM

Keep your tyres on the tarmac away from the kerb and you're right as rain, mate.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#56 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:23 AM

I like it, and I see that there is a huge park and ride and transit exchange nearby. This would make it easier to add rapid transit later.

#57 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:57 PM

I never realized how badly the Park-and-Ride needed expansion until I was on a bus that stopped at it today. Not only was the parking lot full, but there were vehicles parked all over the boulevard on the grass.

#58 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

Saw them doing some drilling for this, lots of markers up too.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

New plans have been released and an open house is to be held on October 22nd.

Airport highway interchange one step closer to reality
VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=1084

A $24-million highway interchange project at McTavish Road and Highway 17, near the Victoria International Airport, is nearing construction and the provincial government is hosting an open house between 2PM and 8PM on Thursday, October 22, to present the latest plans to the community. [...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

This is another version (from the link Mike K posted) of the same design we saw before. The only major difference I can notice is a third roundabout at the intersection of the Park&Ride / transit exchange road with McTavish.

http://www.th.gov.bc...interchange.pdf

The whole exchange is definitely the best use of roundabout flow I've seen here. I imagine the first few months of people trying to figure it out will be hilarious though.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users