Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Atrium Building (BC Ferries headquarters) | Office | 7-storeys | Built - completed in October 2010

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1048 replies to this topic

#1001 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

The interior is great but few people take a short cut through there because the whole place gives off a real "You aren't supposed to be here" vibe. I always feel like some security person is going to kick me out for not having a level gamma-7 security pass. It doesn't feel like part of the street or public sphere, but rather as off-limits secure government office.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#1002 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

The interior is great but few people take a short cut through there because the whole place gives off a real "You aren't supposed to be here" vibe. I always feel like some security person is going to kick me out for not having a level gamma-7 security pass. It doesn't feel like part of the street or public sphere, but rather as off-limits secure government office.

Ya, the entry has to be spiced up like the entry to St. Andrew's Square.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1003 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I think that entrance is the best thing about the entire exterior of the building. It's a beautiful minimalist design.

#1004 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I think that entrance is the best thing about the entire exterior of the building. It's a beautiful minimalist design.

I like its look too, but the building hasn't really been designed in such a way that tells people that there are more shops inside.

#1005 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Now YOU can have an office in The Atrium for $299/mo.

http://www.regus.ca/...oria-the-atrium
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1006 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Why they don't use photos of the actual office space on their website is beyond me. You'd think they'd want their potential clients to see what the space looks like.

And for $300/month to rent a desk, that's a bit steep.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1007 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

What's with the circus tents on the Atrium? Is that a smoking pit? Kinda makes the whole building look cheap.

#1008 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

^BC Ferries hosted the AGM of the Cdn Ferry Operators association. They had a meet'n'greet on the 6th floor balconies. Temporary measure, they're down now.

#1009 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

^BC Ferries hosted the AGM of the Cdn Ferry Operators association. They had a meet'n'greet on the 6th floor balconies. Temporary measure, they were up for 1 day.

Ah, that's good to hear.

#1010 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

Great building. The Rifflandia concerts in there show off it's potential. Habit sat mornings with the kids playing on the wooden blobs-great. Made Zambri's space match the food. Great retail environments. Great addition to the city. More please.

#1011 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

The I ❤ Downtown Victoria on Facebook worldwide HQ will be moving a substantial portion of our considerable North American operations to the Atrium later this month.

We'll be test-driving a unit or two at REGUS for at least a few weeks, to see how the upper-end lives. :D

The only hold-up right now is while engineers see if they have enough bandwidth coming into the building to support us, and BCF. We don't want to be responsible for knocking the fleet monitoring infrastructure offline, while someone is having sex on the bridge of the Northern Expedition right as it heads for Gil Island.

#1012 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Wow, I didn't know a facebook page needed an office as luxurious and as cutting edge as that one :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1013 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Wow, I didn't know a facebook page needed an office as luxurious and as cutting edge as that one :D

Need might not be the right term. But it is all about appearance. The fact is, we run the operation off an old iPhone 3G, so we don't even need a large drawer, yet alone a desk, yet alone an office. We did get some favourable terms. :rtfm:

#1014 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

With 16,407 fans, I ❤ Downtown Victoria now has more fans than the populations of each of:

Esquimalt
Metchosin
Central Saanich
North Saanich
Sidney
Highlands
Colwood
Sooke
View Royal

So soon we'll need an office larger than the CRD building.

Inching towards 1/3 the circulation of the Times-Colonist.

#1015 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Regus is having a heck of a time finding occupants for their offices at the Atrium. I remember that before we leased our current office in Saanich our office mates (who we shared our previous office with) looked at Regus' offerings before leasing their own space elsewhere. That must have been back in late 2010 or early 2011.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1016 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

Jury Comments

"The Atrium provides a thoughtful and elegant intervention in downtown Victoria that promises to provide considerable social, ecological and economic value to a previously largely abandoned urban block. The proposition and resulting design of this new high-density office and retail complex embodies all of the ambition and spirit of the emerging notion of regenerative design that emphasizes the catalytic role of buildings can offer in increasing the social and natural capital of the places where they are situated."

"The Atrium is a very well rounded project which should have a significant effect on the urban renewal of this district of Victoria and through its on-going education program should have a profound influence on the way the developer community views construction, management, and marketing of highly sustainable energy efficient rental buildings. The bright transparent open feel of the spaces will provide an enjoyable shopping and work environment for its occupants and visitors. In my opinion the Atrium development definitely raises the bar for this type of commercial development."

http://www.raic.org/...nts/green_e.htm

#1017 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

http://www.raic.org/...nts/green_e.htm

I really noticed the rejuvenation of the block today after reading this quote.
Father and daughter jumping through the steel 800 "art" taking pictures.
people hanging out chatting all over, the bike rack in front of habit was almost completely full with 15-20 bikes.

Quite the difference from the grey fencing and stone walls that were there before.

:thumbsup:

#1018 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

old news coverage

http://www.worldarch...upload_id=18059
http://www.archdaily...cture-urbanism/

#1019 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Interesting to see these sections

#1020 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

Land Title and Survey Authority of BC is relocating it's ground floor point of service office space at the Atrium to its main space on the second floor.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users