Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#3781 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:12 AM

So the NPNA is hinting that the Wellburns block is coming up for a “major redevelopment”.

CORNER CHANGING

Another longstanding business and iconic corner building will soon be redeveloped. More details from our Landu Use Committee as we get them.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 February 2018 - 09:13 AM.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3782 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

The Wellburn's building is not going anywhere. The NPNA making it sound like the Wellburns building will be torn down and replaced is not necessarily a responsible thing for a community association to do.

The building is currently for sale but a pending purchase has fallen apart due to the complexity of redeveloping the entire property. The site is difficult to develop as the zoning for the Wellburns building is the one worth pursuing but the zoning on the surface parking lot, where a new building would materialize, makes things very tricky.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3783 EvnKas

EvnKas
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

Milestones reopens tomorrow. The space isn’t 100% yet but likely not things most would notice. We’re waiting on our new column panels to get through customs still.
  • Matt R. likes this

#3784 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

Does everyone on here know that in the back of the Dutch Bakery is a full service, sit down restaurant? I met a friend today for lunch who, despite being a long time resident, didn’t know. Speaking with two other locals today, they didn’t know either.

Anyways, food is simple and always great, prices are reasonable. They make a really good burger, and today that was on special. Burger, side, drink choice of dessert for $15. Can’t beat that!

Matt.
  • Mike K., Nparker and lanforod like this

#3785 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:58 PM

Ya burgers are great.
  • Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3786 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:31 AM

28577158_10156051843206487_4242637516852

Barb’s Fish and Chips has a new home, and it’s bigger and better than ever before.

In a live video posted to Facebook, Barb’s showed its brand new building being brought into Fisherman’s Wharf, where it’ll doubtless serve plenty of Victorians and tourists alike with fresh and tasty fish and chips!

An earlier Facebook post this week garnered over 200 reactions and numerous supportive comments.

http://victoriabuzz....ing-home-video/

#3787 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

Apparently the changes will be particularly welcomed by the staff, who now will have areas to change, relax, take a break. Hopefully the system they set up for customers will make for a smooth process.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3788 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

Barb’s Fish and Chips has a new home, and it’s bigger and better than ever before.

Anybody know the ownership story for Barb's? TC story says current owner has had it for 14 years. But I remember it being up for sale in the last few years, for a very sizable chunk of $?

#3789 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

That photo is deceiving. I thought it was a one storey structure but I realized it's either a two storey structure or that man in front is 14 inches tall. 

#3790 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:12 PM

Does everyone on here know that in the back of the Dutch Bakery is a full service, sit down restaurant? I met a friend today for lunch who, despite being a long time resident, didn’t know. Speaking with two other locals today, they didn’t know either.

Anyways, food is simple and always great, prices are reasonable. They make a really good burger, and today that was on special. Burger, side, drink choice of dessert for $15. Can’t beat that!

Matt.

Not a huge surprise; DB is one of those cult-ish places where true fans will swear they've been regulars since Christ was knee high to a sprite. Other people I know wouldn't touch them with a 50 foot pole - but would sell their youngest kid to patronize Crust Bakery virtually right next door.

Personally I like both for different reasons - the latter because they make off the chart delicious sausage rolls. And DB because yes their cheese burger, while not remotely fancy, is bar none one of the tastiest burgers in town. Not sure if it is still the case but as recently as 2 years ago purely on principle DB refused to make or provide french fries with their burgers. Instead they served their own homemade potato salad which was so good you didn't miss the fries for an instant.....

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3791 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

Does everyone on here know that in the back of the Dutch Bakery is a full service, sit down restaurant?

I had no idea.  Then again, I don't think I've ever been into the place. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3792 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:58 PM

I was surprised to see that they do indeed offered fries now - regular or sweet potato!

There are many good bakeries in town, some better than Dutch Bakery, but that place is in a league of its own on many levels.

Worth the trip for the burger alone.

Matt.
  • Mike K., VicHockeyFan and sebberry like this

#3793 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Crumbs & Coasters cafe on Cook street was first closed for renovations, is now "closed due to illness" and has been for about two weeks.

Had their "grand reopening" after renos on February 26th, now they have a sign in the door that says they're closed until further notice due to "staffing issues." Probably related to being unexpectedly closed for nearly a month.

It's sad. North Park/Fernwood is really hurting for a good, dedicated breakfast joint and I was hoping this place would pan out.

#3794 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:56 AM

Volume 6 Dessert Cafe is now open on the 1000-block of Blanshard, where Zazu Coffee used to be. I can't find any sort of a web presence yet.

#3795 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

Volume 6 Dessert Cafe is now open on the 1000-block of Blanshard...

Do Volumes 1-5 exist somewhere?

• Kapten Kapsell and zenbunny like this

#3796 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

Do Volumes 1-5 exist somewhere?

Next door to Bin 3 Burger Lounge?
  • aastra and zenbunny like this

#3797 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:16 AM

Volume 6 Dessert Cafe is now open on the 1000-block of Blanshard, where Zazu Coffee used to be. I can't find any sort of a web presence yet.

Perhaps it is owned by the same people who brought us Bin 4 Burger Lounge and Lot 1 Pasta Bar?

• Nparker likes this

#3798 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:44 AM

I found a Facebook post showing the exterior, interior, and some of the menu items. No company Facebook page, but I imagine there's something on WeChat or Weibo

Photos: https://www.facebook...054568741452072

• gstc84 likes this

#3799 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

Unlike Victoria where the province watches liquor and the city is responsible for marijuana, in Washington both are under control of the state.

29103347_10155099894865740_5238503759037857792_n.jpg

One thing I noticed about Seattle restaurants is the good ones are very busy and they are very strict about seating and turnover. You will have no luck sending a person ahead to grab a table, they won't take your name until the entire party is seated, including your partner circling the block trying to find a parking space.

I also saw a lot of poke tuna restaurants there and think it's only a matter of time before we see some here. 

We had some good food in Seattle but nothing that was better than what Victoria has to offer.

Edited by Rob Randall, 19 March 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#3800 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:27 AM

Unlike Victoria where the province watches liquor and the city is responsible for marijuana, in Washington both are under control of the state.

Hard for the Province to oversee the distribution of an illegal substance. Once all of the new regulations kick in, cannabis distribution will be through the Liquor Distribution Branch, and licensing will be through the Liquor Control and Licensing Branch. That's another topic, though  :)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (3)