Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8786 replies to this topic

#3901 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:32 AM

...Hopefully the menu will include more than just fried chicken and donuts....

I am sure you'll be able to get honey-mustard or BBQ sauce for your doughnut.

#3902 EvnKas

EvnKas
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

Interesting. Hopefully the menu will include more than just fried chicken and donuts.

Customer: I'll have a donut and a latte
Staff: We only have drip coffee

Customer: I'll have fried chicken and fries
Staff: The only sides we offer are donuts

Customer: I'll have chicken with hot sauce
Staff: The only dip we have is melted chocolate

She mentioned on her Facebook that they’ll be doing waffle fries, so I assume they’ll have some sides available.

#3903 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

Step off, haters! Fried chicken and donuts are the only foods a person needs!

This message has been sponsored by the Canadian Association of Scurvy.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, zoomer and 6 others like this

#3904 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

Jones BBQ expanded into the former Apple Box establishment next door to its current home. The additional space will House their smoker and catering operations.
  • GaryRanson and pennymurphy2000 like this

#3905 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

1108 Blanshard, the former Guitar store that was then Tulip Cafe for about six months last year, is now Chimoto. Looks like another Chinese dessert place.

https://www.instagra...m/p/BetlBM7Hcgm

#3906 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

James Bay Tea Room has closed; per a note at the building site it seems that the next eatery there will be a “family diner” of sorts...

#3907 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 03:53 PM

^Floyd's
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3908 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:33 PM

Has anybody tried the Courtney Room yet? In the old Catalano space at the Magnolia hotel. It looks great. 

#3909 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:30 PM

Cool, interested to try it out:

http://scoutmagazine...-courtney-room/

So many amazing new restaurants opening up in downtown Victoria, retail vacancy is down even with new retail spaces opening in new buildings. Feels like downtown has just taken it to a new level now, so much confidence out there - I’ve never seen so much change, vibrancy, thoughtful new urban design in all my years here. If we could just get a handle on the homeless issue. Funny how the NY Times called Victoria an urban jewel, and yet we’ll still have people from the burbs complain about how bad downtown has gotten that no one goes there anymore. Yogi Berra eh..

And who would have thought several years ago that the corner of Douglas and Pandora would be a dining hotspot? Veneto has just gone through an update and at least three new dining experiences in the new government building. Sherwood, Blue Water Cafe and the current Dobosola. Plus several more within a one block radius.
  • Nparker and DougG like this

#3910 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:23 AM

Was downtown restaurant hoping from 5-9. Earls, Local, Finns, Mint, Cactus Club. A drink and appy at each. Douglas, Government and Wharf filled with people. Each restaurant filled with people, the places we walked by (i.e The Drake, Veneto Mint)

Amazing for a downtown that "no on goes to anymore".

Edited by sdwright.vic, 29 April 2018 - 06:24 AM.

• VicHockeyFan, zoomer, Rob Randall and 2 others like this

#3911 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:34 AM

Of course we do, and we will. Just like people rag on the West Shore.

Either way it’s a pissing contest and it’s been that way for time immemorial.

But but but, that being said, we do have a serious parking issue in the city centre and wishing it away won’t stop it from being a negative draw on downtown. Ditto for street problems and drugs.

Three stabbings in a week in the city centre. That’s bad marketing that even the NYT can’t spin. But that being said, with London emerging are more brawly and stabby than NYC, maybe Victoria is finally working up to its real potential as a little bit of ol’ England, eh?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3912 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

I agree more parking is a good thing - but only underground in new condo builds in exchange for higher density.

As for stabbings, is it not primarily criminals stabbing one another? How many of those stabbing or being stabbed don’t have a criminal record? Sure we should hope that no one gets stabbed or assaulted in any way, but I don’t think the stats show any trend towards an increase in crime? With the possible exception of property crimes.

As for lack of parking being a negative draw on downtown, is this not anecdotal? Perhaps less people are commuting to shop downtown, but has downtown ever been busier or more healthy, with as many residents? (except for the gold rush boom, lol). Lisa Helps would claim that increased cycling, more people moving downtown, more businesses opening is proof her green and healthy community vision is working. Just sayin..

We’re even seeing retailers come to downtown that typically prefer the free parking malls - Winners, the new furniture store in the Bay Centre, Save On Foods. I’m certain you’ll see more downtown versions of suburban based stores opening soon, as you see in Vancouver, such as Best Buy, etc. I’d like to see, and I think we will soon see stores like H Mart, T&T open up downtown as well; although I do love the new local businesses that have recently opened to serve the Asian student population.

So yah, good points Mike - there is still work to be done, the perception and reality of crime is a real risk. Hopefully more residents equals more eyes on the street who won’t tolerate criminal behaviour.
  • jonny likes this

#3913 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

Was downtown restaurant hoping from 5-9. Earls, Local, Finns, Mint, Cactus Club. A drink and appy at each. Douglas, Government and Wharf filled with people. Each restaurant filled with people, the places we walked by (i.e The Drake, Veneto Mint)

I dunno, last week I was downtown at a Subway one morning, and it was pretty quiet, just me and some government guy, that likely found an excuse to be away from work...   :banana:

• sdwright.vic likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3914 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

Aren’t you always in a downtown Subway every morning? I swear I saw you with a laptop in the Fort and Blanshard one a while back. Ah the glamorous life style of the young tech kids - so jealous!
  • VicHockeyFan and sdwright.vic like this

#3915 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

The double stabbing in Centennial did not involve criminals. Just a couple of young men who pissed off the wrong guy. The latest stabbing occurred at or adjacent to a pub. Can’t speak to the details yet as VicPD aren’t saying much.

Save-Ons will have its own underground parkade, Winners locates stores in central urban areas, too.

I love downtown. I’ve always been a downtown booster but we really need to get a handle on the criminality happening down here and make a move towards solving the parking issue. People are getting frustrated and that’s not a good thing.
  • Midnightly and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3916 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,878 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 03:54 PM

Went to see Sloan last week with a friend and a couple of his buds from Ontario. Hit up the Drake for some early beers and then went to line up at Brasserie l’ecole. At 4:45 we were probably the 10th people in line, and the place was full as soon as they opened the door. On a Thursday.

By the time we left the Drake, it was packed, too. With so many people who don’t go downtown, it sure was busy for a Thursday.

Oh, the Capital Ballroom was sold out too.

ETA after the show we went to BBJ’s, also packed. After being here for a few days, his Ontario friends were extremely impressed with the downtown in general and the food and drink options in particular.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 29 April 2018 - 03:56 PM.

• zoomer, Nparker and jonny like this

#3917 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

jp.JPG

#3918 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

Aren’t you always in a downtown Subway every morning? I swear I saw you with a laptop in the Fort and Blanshard one a while back. Ah the glamorous life style of the young tech kids - so jealous!

I saw him there the morning CRA got locked out due to pipeline protest.
  • zoomer likes this

#3919 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

First of all, you guys are not supposed to indicate you know what I look like in real life.

Secondly, you two are talking about two different Subways.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3920 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:07 PM

^ hey and for a gay guy I got pretty good game with pretty girls! 🤗
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users