8809 replies to this topic

#4061 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:24 AM

Oh no!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4062 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

I understand that he and his wife were going to operate it together, but she passed suddenly within the past few weeks.  Very sad.

https://www.legacy.c...90005&fhid=6809

Carrie was passionate about food and wine; an exquisite cook and a trained sommelier with a nose and palate that could not be fooled or easily matched. Carrie truly lived by the motto that life is too short to drink cheap wine.

#4063 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

Any idea what happened?

#4064 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:31 AM

Five Guys Burgers & Fries sets sights on Vancouver Island with two Victoria locations

https://victoria.cit...oria-locations/

• Mattjvd likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4065 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:23 PM

Pizza Zone in North Park Village (Cook Street) is no longer in business.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#4066 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

The Guild is closed. Lock out notice on door for failure to pay rent, dated a few days ago.

That would be Reliance Properties who didn't get the rent cheque, who i believe own the building now?  I hope the current owners paid their employees before the closure!!!  The Guild has always been a little bit on the edge with, what, maybe 3 owners over the last 5 years?

Well let's see how long the Flying Pig across the street lasts, in what must be described as the most transient restaurant property in downtown Victoria.

• Wayne likes this

#4067 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:52 PM

Always loved The Guild, especially a few years back with a true British Chef.  Their Sunday Prime Rib dinners were incredible.

Never busy and yes, a challenging location.

#4068 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

I was a big fan of the guild. Seems like a few of my favorites have closed lately

#4069 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:45 PM

That would be Reliance Properties who didn't get the rent cheque, who i believe own the building now?  I hope the current owners paid their employees before the closure!!!  The Guild has always been a little bit on the edge with, what, maybe 3 owners over the last 5 years?

Well let's see how long the Flying Pig across the street lasts, in what must be described as the most transient restaurant property in downtown Victoria.

Flying Pig has been steadily busy so far. And they're making much better use of what is pretty nice patio space than any of their recent predecessors. Still early days of course...

#4070 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:38 AM

Apologies if it has been mentioned already but it looks like a new Village location will be opening up on Wharf Street, close to the new JSB.

#4071 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:42 AM

Oh, you mean the Oak Bay breakfast place?

A place called New Asian Village just closed on Wharf at Yates.

Know it all.

#4072 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:58 AM

Apologies if it has been mentioned already but it looks like a new Village location will be opening up on Wharf Street, close to the new JSB.

Is it on Wharf Street?  I thought that it was on whatever street The Union is on (across from it).  Pandora? Johnson?  They are definitely opening up a fourth location downtown.

#4073 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:12 AM

Flying Pig has been steadily busy so far. And they're making much better use of what is pretty nice patio space than any of their recent predecessors. Still early days of course...

Spoke with friends who ate there at lunch last week. Service was so bad that drinks and one main course were taken off the bill, they won't return .

Not a good start.

#4074 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:24 AM

Some family was there for lunch and drinks a couple weeks ago. Apparently everything was great, some cool cocktails and no complaints about service.

Good start!
  • Matt R. likes this

#4075 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:29 AM

l ate/drank at Flying Pig a few weeks ago with a group of friends.  Food, drinks & service was great.  Consistent on all levels with my experiences (food, drinks, service, decor) at their Yaletown location.

Good start x2!

#4076 m3m

m3m
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:04 PM

I've eaten there about 6 times since they've been open.  On the first visit there were one or two hiccups about service, but it was within the first week of being open.  Everytime since then, it's been spectacular.  I have no doubt it will be able to make it.  

#4077 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:51 AM

Is it on Wharf Street?  I thought that it was on whatever street The Union is on (across from it).  Pandora? Johnson?  They are definitely opening up a fourth location downtown.

Sorry, it is on Store Street across from the Janion. I forgot that Wharf turns into Store Street after the bridge. 

• Bob Fugger likes this

#4078 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

Sign outside The Guild says it is re-opening August 30

#4079 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:10 PM

I guess the "gofundourrent" worked.

#4080 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:14 PM

The guild, version 4.0?

NewGuild.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users