• Please log in to reply
8786 replies to this topic

#4321 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:37 AM

I heard yesterday that the Village group also purchased and will be taking over Shine Cafe. Anyone else have any scoop on whether that's true or just a rumour, and if it includes both Shine locations?

Definitely not true.

#4322 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:05 PM

New Indian restaurant on Esquimalt Rd called Spice Valley

#4323 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:00 PM

Confirmed that the final day of operation for the Yates/Quadra Floyd's will be January 1. In typical Floyd's fashion, their final customers will be revellers hungover from one of the best party nights of the year. Will miss this location for sure, but hopefully we see a development permit application in short order.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#4324 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:12 PM

Confirmed that the final day of operation for the Yates/Quadra Floyd's will be January 1. In typical Floyd's fashion, their final customers will be revellers hungover from one of the best party nights of the year. Will miss this location for sure, but hopefully we see a development permit application in short order.

Unless staff can transfer locations, the owner will be preparing T4 slips for one day of work for 2019...
  • Rob Randall, Nparker and Redd42 like this

#4325 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:13 PM

Duplicate post

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 15 December 2018 - 08:13 PM.

#4326 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:33 PM

So I just noticed today in addition to the Pizza Hut and the Sarpinos in Esquimalt being across the street from each other, there is a 3rd pizza restaurant across from the Pizza hut with a "Grand Opening" sign on it called Parthenon Pizza. It's a GREEK Pizza restaurant. It's in that small plaza with the Sushi Restaurant and East African restaurant.

So that makes a total of 3 Pizza restaurants in Esquimalt all within 200 feet of each other.  And there is Papa Ji's Pizza in viewing distance from the Sarpino's along Esquimalt Rd. and there is still a Panago Pizza just down the road past the Esquimalt Plaza, as well as a little Ceasar's pizza in the Esquimalt plaza 

So Esquimalt now reigns as the Pizza Capital of the GVA, with Head @ Esquimalt  hosting 3 of them being practically next to each other and a 4th one just steps away.

Six pizza places within 1km of each other.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 15 December 2018 - 08:41 PM.

• Mike K., Nparker and jasmineshinga like this

#4327 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:40 PM

Know someone that delivers pizza for a living, the base is BIG money for Pizza joints.
  • Mike K. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4328 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:25 PM

...It's in that small plaza with the Sushi Restaurant and East African restaurant....

For a change of pace in the ethnic food category, I recommend The Blue Nile. I've had some rather pleasant meals there...and it's fairly easy on the wallet as well.

#4329 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:37 PM

For a change of pace in the ethnic food category, I recommend The Blue Nile. I've had some rather pleasant meals there...and it's fairly easy on the wallet as well.

So looking at there site, is it a dinner buffet? or is it a buffet option with menu ordering?

#4330 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:32 PM

So looking at their site, is it a dinner buffet? or is it a buffet option with menu ordering?

As I recall there is an option of the buffet or a la carte dining. The former is a great way to try different things, especially if you've never had this style of cuisine before. It's been a few years since I was last there.

#4331 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:33 AM

We'll see how this Greek Pizza place goes. I checked the online menu and they are def higher priced then some of the other places. But it also states the Chef has 45 years of cooking Greek Food and that they source all of their fresh ingredients from local farmers markets and not from commercial distributors.. So maybe that's the key is the pizza will be more gourmet?  Either way, I usually try a pizza place once just to give it a fair chance.  They also seem to keep it more simple with not that many toppings to select from in comparison to other places. 2 Larges with just sauce and cheese have a base rate of $30 then each topping is $2.75 extra. They do have a cheap pizza by the slice option (pepperoni only) at $1.39/slice.  They don't have free delivery however and charge $3 bucks for that.

https://parthenonpizzas.com/

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 16 December 2018 - 11:45 AM.

#4332 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:49 PM

We'll see how this Greek Pizza place goes. I checked the online menu and they are def higher priced then some of the other places. But it also states the Chef has 45 years of cooking Greek Food and that they source all of their fresh ingredients from local farmers markets and not from commercial distributors.. So maybe that's the key is the pizza will be more gourmet?  Either way, I usually try a pizza place once just to give it a fair chance.  They also seem to keep it more simple with not that many toppings to select from in comparison to other places. 2 Larges with just sauce and cheese have a base rate of $30 then each topping is $2.75 extra. They do have a cheap pizza by the slice option (pepperoni only) at $1.39/slice.  They don't have free delivery however and charge $3 bucks for that.

https://parthenonpizzas.com/

the pizza isn't bad (i enjoy it, though i don't have fancy tastes lol).. i often go there to buy a few slices if i'm in the area.. they have had some staffing issues over the past few months but i think they finally might have it sorted out (there have been days where they were not open at lunch time or even by dinner time, or did not have any dough made at 5pm on a Saturday) i'll admit i've only bought by the slice it's a good cheese to sauce ratio..and a decent sized slice for $1.39, i don't think i've ever seen anyone in there that could have 45yrs experience though (mostly younger staff members)

i do wonder how well they will survive with the Pizza hut going in across the street.. there's alotta pizza options around that area

Edited by Midnightly, 16 December 2018 - 12:54 PM.

#4333 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:52 PM

Unless staff can transfer locations, the owner will be preparing T4 slips for one day of work for 2019...

Knowing Floyd’s, I doubt there will be much job loss as a result of the closure. Most of the staff I’d imagine will end up at James Bay. Some already work both locations.

#4334 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:53 AM

Korean soft-serve icecream chain and Instagram sensation Milkcow is coming to Victoria! The first Canadian location opened in Richmond in January, and they are planning a March 2019 opening date for Victoria at 762 Yates Street

via http://dailyhive.com...ictoria-opening

Edited by Jackerbie, 18 December 2018 - 09:54 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#4335 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:04 AM

Korean soft-serve ice cream chain and Instagram sensation Milkcow is coming to Victoria ...

Perhaps this business's name sounds better in Korean: 우유 암소  :blink:

#4336 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:51 PM

Today was Saigon Night’s last day in business on Fort Street; they are looking for a new space and will eventually reopen. The Fort Street locale will become a Thai breakfast eatery.

#4337 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:06 AM

Perhaps this business's name sounds better in Korean: 우유 암소  :blink:

Uyu amso

#4338 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:40 AM

The Fort Street locale will become a Thai breakfast eatery.

"Hey, here's an idea. Everyone loves thai food, right? Well, what if we took the least popular items for Westerners, breakfast items like boiled pork blood soup and rice porridge, and open a restaurant?"

• Nparker and jonny like this

#4339 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:21 PM

It's not quite "going," but the sale of Mom's Café in Sooke is laced with potential for redevelopment of the high-profile site and its adjacent development-ready property (that is concurrently listed for sale).

Sooke landmark and popular diner Mom's Café has been listed for sale

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4340 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:42 AM

Today was Saigon Night’s last day in business on Fort Street; they are looking for a new space and will eventually reopen. The Fort Street locale will become a Thai breakfast eatery.

Damn. We love that restaurant. I hope they reopen somewhere soon. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users