Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#4361 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

Lee's House Chinese restaurant is going into the old Boston Pizza space in the Tim Hortons/Canadian Tire Auto mall neighbouring University Heights.

That makes sense given the redevelopment of University Heights itself.  I think Lee's House is one of the best Chinese eateries in the region.

#4362 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:48 PM

That's good to hear. There's a huge amount of Asian food in Gordon Head but most is mediocre.

By the looks of it they should be open in a month or so.

By the way, if you haven't checked out the CT Auto Centre do so. It's probably what a Canadian Tire used to be 50 years ago. 

#4363 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

...There's a huge amount of Asian food in Gordon Head but most is mediocre.

So you're familiar with the Purple Garden then.

#4364 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:29 PM

:whyme:

#4365 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:03 AM

^^ never again. Once was too much.

#4366 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

Went by Chuck's new location on Yates yesterday and it was busy - good sign for a Monday close to 7pm. Dylan's, the sports pub across the street - not so much.

The Starbucks in Mayfair mall is likely close to opening. Couldn't get a good look inside but walls are now painted and it appeared that equipment was moving in. Did anyone confirm whether they are moving from their existing Mayfair location or will have two in the same mall?

#4367 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:16 AM

Never did make it to Chucks in Sidney for whatever reason, as I drive by petty often, but I was at the one downtown the day of the wind storm and food and service were excellent. They are hitting all the marks and margins are good I think.

Wonder how this has hit Ferris’ burger business.

Matt.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

#4368 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

Dylan's, the sports pub across the street - not so much.

same every time i go by.

#4369 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

Snowy Village (korean shaved ice known as Bingsoo) has opened up at 4071 Shelbourne St. I went on their soft opening this past Sunday and it was super busy. The franchise owner of this location had opened up the Coquitlam one in the past but sold out and said this was by far busier than they expected.

• Mike K. likes this

#4370 Vicwestguy

Vicwestguy
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

I am confused.

Is this post snooty, anti-drinking, or both?

Not sure what part of it confused you? Leopolds Tavern is a self proclaimed " dive bar" , and they are opening close to another " dive bar" in El Furniture Warehouse. I was questioning if the owners of Leopolds had researched the market, as I think opening a bar across the street from another bar with similar clientel would be a questionable business decision. Leopolds will be on lower Yates, where there are already numerous places to grab a pint, and plenty of competition for your dollar. . That is actually factual. Not really sure how that comes across as snotty or anti-drinking , or both. Hopefully this cleared up your confusion.....

#4371 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

^Once again, $8 pints of draft beer do not scream and yell "dive bar" to me. As for Leopolds... seems like a lot of money is going to be put into turn a retail space back into a restaurant, so since everything will be brand new there, "dive bar"? Really?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4372 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

Also, as long as the product is good, we have hardly reached restaurant situation level anywhere in the city. Lower Yates is shaping up to be a bit of a dining entertainment district. No fancy four star, but still...

#4373 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:12 PM

How is El Furniture doing, anyways? Are they busy outside of the peak Fri-Sat periods?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4374 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:38 AM

Seems to do a good lunch. Not certain about late at night, but I here a lot go there pre-club.

#4375 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:38 AM

^Once again, $8 pints of draft beer do not scream and yell "dive bar" to me. As for Leopolds... seems like a lot of money is going to be put into turn a retail space back into a restaurant, so since everything will be brand new there, "dive bar"? Really?

For both El Furniture and Leo's, "dive bar" is an aesthetic choice. The decor is dive-y, not the kitchen, and they look very similar on the inside. It would be like opening a Cactus Club next to an Earls.

El Furniture Warehouse, Victoria

el furniture.PNG

Leopold's Tavern, Calgary

Leos.PNG

• Mike K., Nparker and Vicwestguy like this

#4376 Jaysomethin

Jaysomethin
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:17 AM

Any ideas on why the frontage of chorizo and co seems to be papered up?

#4377 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:55 AM

Again? That doesn’t bode well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4378 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:05 AM

Interesting. Was just at Chorizo 2.0 on Saturday for some bocatas and all seemed well. They are usually closed on Sundays/Mondays...maybe they were doing some work on their off days?

#4379 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:04 AM

The Starbucks in Mayfair mall is likely close to opening. Couldn't get a good look inside but walls are now painted and it appeared that equipment was moving in. Did anyone confirm whether they are moving from their existing Mayfair location or will have two in the same mall?

I would speculate that this is the Starbucks franchise that Indigo owns, moving over from the downtown Chapters. Don't see why that would cause the existing Mayfair location to close.

• thundergun likes this

#4380 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:50 PM

Looks like Cera in the Janion is getting close to opening. Paper is off the windows and the tables are set.

https://www.nubocera.com/

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (3)