Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
4848 replies to this topic

#4621 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,499 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:29 AM

Not sure if its been mentioned but the old James Bay location [of Serious Coffee] is in the process of becoming a Bubby Rose's Bakery/Cafe.

Mike, you even 'liked' this post!  ;)

• Mike K. and Hotel Mike like this

#4622 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:52 PM

This may be old news, but Spice Valley- an East Indian restaurant- has opened at 910 Esquimalt Road.  It apparently opened in December.

Also:  A high end East Indian restaurant is apparently replacing the former Padella restaurant in Estevan Village/  Oak Bay.

OK, I misspoke regarding the second point:  the former Padella restaurant is becoming a Thai restaurant called Nohra Thai Kitchen.  The will be opening in a few weeks...

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 14 June 2019 - 12:52 PM.

#4623 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,575 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:00 PM

The way Nohra is pronounced means dingy hovel in some Eastern European languages and dialects.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4624 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,499 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:20 PM

The way Nohra is pronounced means dingy hovel in some Eastern European languages and dialects.

I always get a kick out of Superbaba because that's exactly the hero Russia needs

• Mike K., Nparker and gstc84 like this

#4625 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,575 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:09 PM

Oh man, you’re right, lol!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4626 FogPub

FogPub
  • 351 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:43 AM

Was in Pluto's today (first time in ages!) - staff there said their lease comes up in 2020 sometime and they're looking for a new location before then.

#4627 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:57 AM

Update on Pluto's: they will be relocating

Never fade away.
We're to stubborn to give up.
30 years is a long time.
So much so, we can't go back.
We can only move forward.

https://www.instagra.../p/By9isF5lSmX/ via https://www.victoria...o-new-location/

• Nparker likes this

#4628 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:18 AM

Update on Pluto's: they will be relocating...

...F*ck condos. 4/20 2020,” making an obvious reference to the date they’re expected to vacate the premises...

https://www.victoria...o-new-location/

As a downtown condo owner and occasional Pluto's customer, I don't appreciate being referred to this way, even in jest. Sorry Pluto's, but I won't be following you to your new location. A restaurant needs to be more than just a funky location. Your building may be cool but your food's just not that hot.

• Greg and Redd42 like this

#4629 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:30 AM

Update on Pluto's: they will be relocating

https://www.instagra.../p/By9isF5lSmX/ via https://www.victoria...o-new-location/

it doesnt say where to. Interested to see their next location

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#4630 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,575 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:12 PM

Management wrote that?

“F condos?”

Know it all.

#4631 RFS

RFS
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:22 PM

Management wrote that?

“F condos?”

It has gone semi viral on local Facebook and people are loving it.

#4632 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

Management wrote that?

“F condos?”

I suppose they aren’t aiming to attract VV users? But the statement could cause offence to any number of Victorians. I wouldn’t be surprised if about a third of the city’s residents live in some type of strata property (owned or rented)...
  • Nparker likes this

#4633 Greg

Greg
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:42 PM

I suppose they aren’t aiming to attract VV users? But the statement could cause offence to any number of Victorians. I wouldn’t be surprised if about a third of the city’s residents live in some type of strata property (owned or rented)...

And probably a larger percentage of their customers. Not a clever move.

• Nparker likes this

#4634 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,575 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:06 PM

It’s alienating. I understand the frustration of having to move, but the building was sold on the open market. The operators could have purchased it throughout their 30 year tenancy.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#4635 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:06 PM

Yeah! F*ck housing!!

#4636 RFS

RFS
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

It's code for "F development" which in this town is VERY popular. This is a perfectly safe position for them to take.

#4637 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:27 PM

It's code for "F development" which in this town is VERY popular. This is a perfectly safe position for them to take.

You'd *think* businesses would be happy with an influx of places for their customers to live locally.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4638 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,575 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:57 PM

Yes, in some circles it would be.

We saw this weekend what happens when a fire breaks out at an old apartment complex. New housing can’t come soon enough, with its significantly improved fire suppression and emergency systems, but then we have f condos, or f new housing, as you put it.

Do we even know if the proposal will be condos? It could be rentals.

Know it all.

#4639 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:19 PM

I suspect it's whoever does the social media who wrote that. The owner has been described previously as being pretty level-headed and well-spoken. He also apparently tried in the past to purchase the property but wasn't able to make it happen.

On social media commentary, of course people are jumping to conclusions that it will be condos (which in reality isn't known yet I think), bemoaning the loss of Victoria's charm and uniqueness, and - wait for it - the devolution into something like Vancouver.

#4640 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:22 PM

...Do we even know if the proposal will be condos? It could be rentals.

And even it IS condos that get built there's a very good chance that a high percentage of them will be rented out by their owners. The attitude in this city that condos are housing for the super wealthy is a myth that needs to be put to rest. Regardless, Pluto's has lost at least one customer for life.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

DougG, Google (1)